Shining Star Academy Of The Arts

Charter | K-7 | 235 students

Posted August 14, 2014

Our school this year will be Shinning Star Academy of the Arts. We are looking forward to it. This is the first school that any of my children will attend to where you got to meet with the Principal and staff personally before making a decision. They are very well respected and highly recommended. And, we are looking forward to joining them this coming school year 2014-2015.

Posted August 14, 2014

Well after orientation tonight and giving shining star another chance I think I made a mistake. Finding out my child will start with out no uniforms after I spent over $300. This school is as disorganized as it was last year. Countless new teachers. Are these teachers going to stay or are we going to get ten weeks in and get all new teachers for my child like last year. Then as my child's home room teacher started talking about FCAT scores I wanted to puke bc I know my child went from a 5 the year before to a 2 with making strait a's in math. How is that possible? School has not started and I'm not happy. Several question I had asked over and over were avoided. Why? I want answers. This has to do with my child. His education. His future. This isn't a game to me. Seriously reconsidering my decision this year.

Posted August 13, 2014

As a parent of a student that had 4's and 5's on FCAT in a different county moving him and attending this school and getting and 3 & 2 isn't cutting it. This was our first year. I love the fact that he has the ability to play music. However the school lacks organization and academics. I never once saw my child with home work last year. I never once saw a completed paper sent home graded. The agendas that the students are to use to let the parents know what they are doing in class were never used during the year. Blank the whole year. Dr. B is very long winded. He needs to focus on not trying to make friends with all the parents and focus more and making sure that the school is meeting the criteria it need to be able to teach these children. This will be my child's second year. We are giving this school a second chance. Hoping that this year all the so called kinks will be worked out. Because next year, there will be no third chance. My child needs a better education. I need a school that will be able to give that to them. I need teachers to be there. I need stability. I want to see papers sent home this year. Graded! I want to see what my child is doing. This is important.

Posted August 13, 2014

Shining Star Academy promotes good values and a focus on broad education that is not strictly FCAT based. the music and arts program is beyond compare and has contributed greatly to my child'rens's enjoyment of school and willingness to attend and listen.

Posted August 12, 2014

My child attended this school for two years, and I grew very concerned last year about the curriculum and the Administration, so I decided to transfer him to one the of A schools in Columbia. My child was tested by the school to determine, where they were at and I was told by the school that they will most likely struggle next year. Please beware, that this school is not preparing kids for the next grade level. It is very upsetting to me, as my child was one of the ones that excelled at the school. I can not imagine the predicament the other children that were not doing so well ,are going to be in! So sad!

Posted August 11, 2014

Too bad this site lets a former employee who was NOT effective in the classroom continue to bash our school and administration. This website should limit comments constructive criticism. Shining Star Academy of the Arts is a great school for academics and the arts. Current teachers and staff are quite pleased with the constant school improvements.

Posted July 29, 2014

I have to say that my children love Shining Star and in return so do I. One of my children was in the grade where the two teachers were fired and she couldn't have been happier. They were not teaching and the administration's decision to let them go was a good decision. The teachers that took over were phenomenal. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and communicated! They gave my daughter the education she needed and she even scored significantly higher on the FCAT. My son had increased scores as well and he is a grade below my daughter...not that I base my children's knowledge and intelligence solely on a standardized tests, but they were very happy with the results. Great teachers in 5th and 6th grade! Shining Star is a wonderful school with teachers in both academics and the arts. They care and are passionate about what they teach. I hope the school remains open because they made a lot of improvements from last year. Even though the VP retired, one of the veteran teachers (18+ years of experience) has been promoted to Curriculum Director. This school isn't for everyone, but it's the school for us. I'm excited to see what this year brings and my children cannot wait to go back.

Posted July 28, 2014

Sadly, I moved my children out of this school this year. I loved the teachers and really wanted my children to have an arts-based education, but administration doesn't know which way is up. Things were getting better with the vice principal they hired, but now he has retired. The school is an F school because the top administration has no idea how to discipline students and how to keep the focus on academics. I give two stars instead of one because I do think the teachers are qualified and are very talented. They just have their hands tied behind their backs. It's a beautiful school and could one day turn around. It's just not there yet.

Posted July 28, 2014

SSAota - made a world of difference in my oldest child's school life. She went from being sick Sunday night through Friday morning, to absolutely loving school! Shining Star has had it's struggles, but it's our hope that they can overcome! The arts are important! They translate to all aspects of life. SSAota, strives to incorporate these. If you have a child who is - musically, dramatically, or visually artistic, give SSAota a chance.

Posted July 24, 2014

To the ones believing that Shining Star showed gain: you do realize these numbers are skewed due to adding 7th grade, right? That is an entire grade level of points that did not exist for the 2013 scores. The school did not show growth, regardless of what the admin would like parents to believe. In fact, the only grade to show any actual gain is the grade that had two teachers FIRED shortly before FCAT -- those were the only successful teachers, but you can see the type of appreciation Mr. Buzzella has for his staff. It is very true that there was no planning for curricula, and also true everybody that teachers were deprived of basic necessities. Health insurance, bonuses, and promised raises have yet to be seen, and despite what admin says, bullying is a MAJOR issue from the top down. Teachers are bullied by admin, students, and parents alike and when a complaint is made about a student bully, nothing is done until the it has escalated into a dangerous situation. The best thing the state can do is shut down the school. There are much better options within the county, including another PHENOMENAL charter school, which did by the way gain many of Shining Star's students and staff.

Posted July 11, 2014

Shining Star is a good alternative for kids interested in the arts. Sure the school has some challenges but quite a few public schools in the area have low test scores and they have been open for many more years than Shining Star. It would be great if the local school board was more supportive as well. Shining Star is experiencing some growing pains that is for certain. But if the community gets involved and the school's administration listens more, it can be a great place for kids in the area.

Posted July 8, 2014

I notice those parents giving this school high marks are due to music and art and some PE! Where is the praise for academia? The parent who wrote about the lack of current math, reading and science books is absolutely spot on. MR. (not a Dr.) Buzzella would respond to requests for educational material has told Certified Teachers that 'anyone with an internet connection' can get this material! FCAT tells the entire story of this school. The students are set up to fail. The Certified Teachers are not supported and if one questions, they are 'let go'. Mr. Buzzella has no problem allowing some to teach without State Certification as well as non certified people as para professionals. The board of the school in 2013 voted to give the teachers the state and county approved raise, yet not one teachers has yet to see those funds! Who profited from funds belonging to the teachers?

Posted July 7, 2014

The only students who will be successful at this school are those who will achieve at any school, regardless of the teachers, other students, and administration. Find the comments made by the superintendent of schools; seems to me he hit the nail on the head. The school is understaffed and the faculty is underpaid. They were promised raises, bonuses, and a phenomenal insurance package. What they got was ill-equipped classrooms with few (if any) textbooks/materials for student use, supplemental dental and vision plans but no health insurance, and ZERO bonuses. Most of the materials and supplies (including curriculum!) found their way into classrooms from teachers spending their own money and begging for handouts from veteran teachers at other schools.

Posted July 4, 2014

this school has it's problems for sure, but still a better option than anything else in the area, especially for middle schoolers. of the other two options, one is good but overcrowded and the other is like an inner-city ghetto environment. Sounds like the over all FCAT was bad, but my children did well, so somebody at Shining Star is doing something right.

Posted June 23, 2014

School was rated an F first year and second year looks like it will be the same. Principal thinks scores are not the result of anything he is doing. Would not send my kids here.

Posted June 7, 2014

I have children at this school for the past two years. My kids are happy and loving all of the arts. They have P.E everyday and the kids are free to express themselves. The teachers and administration is wonderful. I have no complaint about the school or the teachers. Everyone that works there is very nice and loves the students. Before my children started there they were very shy and very insecure now they talk to people and have come out of their shells. I love the school and my children will go there until they graduate high school.

Posted May 30, 2014

Our charter school is designed to provide a solid academic education with an hour or more of the performing arts every day to every student. The first few years of every school has its struggles and challenges. Teachers are hired or fired based upon their performance and accountability in the classroom. The average class size is 16 students. Every ESE student is staffed according to the accommodations required by law. There is a large percent of ESE students whose parents chose to mainstream their child in a healthier environment, rather than have them drown in a special class in a regular public school. All of the staff work together and understand the financial strains of a beginning school. They all have chosen to be here. One teacher gave up a huge salary just to have the freedom to teach American-Family values. Our teachers are devoted to the students. If not, Dr. Buzzella and his Governing Board fires them. There is nothing more important to Administration than the safety and academic excellence of the students, and they are constantly improving. Any person who has taken the time to be involved in daily activities knows there is organization and leadership.

Posted April 8, 2014

Teachers were very nice. No bullying policy is perfect. My daughter enjoyed her staying in Shining Star Academy of the Arts.

Posted December 6, 2013

Students at Shining Star Academy of the Arts love coming to school where one of their slogans is: "NO BULLIES ALLOWED". Students wear a uniform and enjoy high quality academic instruction infused with all the arts. Classes in music, art, drama and dance are offered on a daily basis from top notch professionals. I highly recommend Shining Star Academy of the Arts for any artistically talented student. Shining Star Academy provides a firm, fair and consistent structure and a wholesome, safe learning environment.

Posted August 4, 2013

We have 3 kids that attend this school. The principal and teachers are very personable and easy to talk to. There is a 0 tolerance for bullying which is strictly enforced. Regardless of its rating for it's first year, the future looks bright and we are so excited to be a part of it

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

28 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

21 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

23 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

23 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

25 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

25 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

31 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

31 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

This school District averageState average
Bachelor's degree N/A65%61%
Doctorate degree N/A0%1%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7443 West US Highway 90