Crystal Lake Elementary School 4

Posted February 27, 2014
Overall a great school, however not the best environment for children who require supports outside the norm. There seems to be a culture somewhat biased against children who require additional services that may cost more dollars to educate. The kids and parents are fantastic!

Posted January 20, 2014
Excellent school. Excellent principal. For a public school, it's unbeatable. A great public school is very dependent also on engaged involved parents and CLES certainly has their share of them. Caring involved parents, active PTA, teamwork , etc is the foundation. Found most CLES parents truly appreciate and understand the value of a good education creating a strong academic foundation for their children and are willing to be involved.

Posted August 22, 2013
My school is 5 stars ! The teachers are very professional and make learning fun for my daughter !

Posted January 02, 2013
My son attended CLES for kindergarten and currently goes there for first grade. He had DeAnn Weber for kindergarten. She is a great teacher who never yells at her students and pushes them academically. My son was reading at an advanced 1st grade level at the end of kindergarten. This year in first grade he has Julie Drinkwater and she is the most amazing teacher! She runs the Caring Crocs program and has a heart of gold. She is compasionate, kind, caring, funny, etc....I can't say enough about her. She genuinely cares about her students! She has a great prositive reinforcement program in place in her classroom. It makes the kids strive to be the best they can be. Everyday my son is excited to go to schoo!

Posted December 20, 2012
I went to CLES to sign my son out of school early today. I just signed the sign out sheet and told the front office lady my name. She NEVER asked for ID, nor did she even look at the sign out sheet to see my name. This is coming just days after the tragic incident in CT. This scares me a lot, especially since you can just walk right through the front doors and completely bypass the office! Let's get it together Crystal Lake so our kids will be safe!

Crystal Lake Elementary School 3

Posted October 12, 2012
I'm not happy with my son's teacher, but the school is better than the last one he attended. He was teased and bullied often, but at this school the first time it happened, it was taken care of and has not happened since. I am very pleased with this. The only complaint I have is with my son's teacher. My expectations of any Kindergarten or 1st grade teacher is that they be warm, kind, and aware they are talking to small children when they are trying to reprimand any bad behavior. My son's teacher does not seem to view her misbehaving students in a positive way. My son's first couple weeks were spent standing with a teacher through every recess for not finishing his work or talking out in class. His behavior only grew worse as he was only being yelled at and never praised. He came home once and wanted to make a flower cut out from different colors of construction paper and glued together for her. He worked very hard on it. The next day when he gave it to her, she said "thank you" and put it away. How empty. The only thing that is combating that is the behavior specialist who encourages him and gives him positive feedback for his efforts.

Posted September 24, 2012
The teachers yell at the students, even in the cafeteria the students get yelled at and are routinely forced to take "silent lunches". They can't sit with their friends at lunch. The principal looks good from the outside, is well put together and then you find out thats about all she is concerned about...looks and appearances. When asked to solve any ptoblem with teachers or within the school she just brushes it all under the carpet. She refuses to involve the student in academic challenges that cost the school nothing. She cares little about her students and only in keeping her teachers happy. Half of the student body is on free and reduced lunch, so there is a lot of poverty in this school. The building is new and nice and it has a nice Lake Mary address, but other than that the rest of it inside is not very nice. If your concerned with appearances and not academic substance, that this is the place for you.

Posted May 06, 2012
Our little one started in K and will be entering 4th Grade this coming year. All the teachers have been superb with the exception of one which was average. The administrative staff is good except for the Principles secretary. She should not be let out of her cage! The cafeteria cooking staff (especially the Director) is fantastic but the ones in the lunchroom? Can you say S-T-A-L-A-G??? As for the comments regarding fundraisers, it is true they are often but we too are on a very tight budget and have never ever felt poorly when we could not participate. As for the building and safety, we have always found it clean and well maintained and the end of day pick-up issue seems to be resolved (for the time being at least). Finally, as for the types of kids that attend, although we have run into bullying and belittling, it's only been twice and was immediately stopped as soon as it was brought to the staff's and parents attention. Not bad for a school of 800+ in a four year period!

Posted May 02, 2012
The thing about CLES, is it really depends on what teacher your child gets. My sons been there for 2nd ,3rd, & 4th. On the positive side they push the kids extra hard academically. I am also quite impressed with the Caring Crocs they do now to help low income families of CLES. On the negative, consistantly they always do fundraisers & if you dont have money to put into those things like alot of the other kids that go there then your child can feel pretty left out. Also some teachers have horrible communication with the parents. This year I had to go to the principal about a issue, the teacher resolved it quickly(I know it wont happen with my child again, but I know this teacher will continue to make her future students feel bad) but all I got from the principal was a one sentenced email, really? Im sending my other 2 children elsewhere. This school is WAY overrated!

Posted July 17, 2011
Best organized elementary school in central fl, had my daughter there in third and fourth grade, both teacher were amazing professionals!

Crystal Lake Elementary School
231 Rinehart Road, Lake Mary, FL  32746
Last modified Crystal Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Crystal Lake Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top