Discovery Key Elementary School 3

Posted November 02, 2012
UPDATE TO: "Recently transferred our two kids to DKE from Coral Reef" posting. Wanted to add feedback based upon second year at school and call out the fact that the bulk of the initial low ratings for the first year were based upon experiences with specific 4th grade class, which were very similar to the other postings (apathy, frequent substitutes, slow/no response to parent questions or meeting requests, etc.). That said, 5th grade this year has been a 100% turnaround for the positive. This year's team of teachers my child has are exceptional. They are organized, communicative, and energetic. My child is excited to go to school every day and is really progressing academically so far this year as a result. Well done!

Posted March 06, 2012
My son has been at DKE since Kinder and is about to finish his 5th grade year. We have had a wonderful experience with all our teachers. If your child wants to learn, the teachers provide an excellent source of education. My son has always received A's and has scored 4/5s in FCATs. And yes, there is Reading Counts, Science Fair, 100 days, fieldtrips, etc. We celebrate EVERYTHING, and bring our children together to enjoy school spirit. There is room for parent involvment, not only with PTA but also in the classrooms, the teachers welcome you. We have had changes this year with our report card system, and no, I do not like nor agree with it, but guess what, this is coming to all the Palm Beach Elementary schools next year, at least that is what I was told. I find that system to not encourage our achievers, but I guess the district likes all children at a "proficient" level so no one feels left out. Not realisic in my book, but I don't run the district, so my choice was to leave DKE if I wanted to, but I stayed, and I'm glad, my son has two wonderful teachers who have helped my child exceed! Overall, besides the new grading system, I rate the school as an "A"....I mean, "EX"

Discovery Key Elementary School 2

Posted February 03, 2012
I agree these reviews must be from past parents. My daughter came to this school in grade 2 and she is in grade 4 and we are looking for a school to send her to for 5th because it wont be here. 4th graders have 2 teachers and good luck if you can make it through the week without a sub. On most weeks she has a sub AT LEAST once but usually 2 or 3x a week. Her teacher even took off an entire week for her bday. I scheduled a conf in the beginning of the year, its February now, just now got acknowledged. My daughter was being bullied on the bus, when I spoke to the Vice Prin she made it clear that this wouldn't be tolerated and if it kept happening the child would not be able to ride the bus. I felt reassured until I found out 2 weeks later my neighbor was complaining to the VP because her child was being bullied by the same child so obviously its not being taken seriously. In DKE's defense my daughters 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were great. I've always had additional educational support (private teachers, Kumon) but this year seems to be going downhill. And this year they have implemented a generalized grading so its not A,B,C, its ways more primitive like P/F.

Posted November 15, 2011
Discovery Key is an excellent school. My two children were at New Horizons Elm. in Wellington last year when we moved down and that schools fails in comparison to Discovery Key. We are so happy we bought a house in this schools boundry. Great people and great area!

Posted August 24, 2011
All Three of my children attended (one still attending) DKE. It is a Science based school. This has helped my older children immensely in their studies. I also love the teachers, the support team the aftercare program. Overall great school.

Discovery Key Elementary School 3

Posted January 12, 2010

Discovery Key Elementary School 4

Posted August 28, 2009
My son is in the first grade, love the school, love the teachers, loved Mr. Sills but now there is a new principal and he's already causing issues with drop off and pick up. Myself and others have seen this new principal blow up at parents already and we are in week 2, not very professional and setting a not so good message to our kids. Drop off in the morning is so backed up on to lake worth road it's a mess. I hope this improves over the next few weeks and hope the new principal develops a personality too. Mel

Posted August 11, 2009

Discovery Key Elementary School 0

Posted November 07, 2008
I disagree with the drop off and pick up. I have a child that is in the Autism cluster at Discover Key. I often see the principal, Mr. Sills meeting the children in the moring and has also walked my daughter to class when I running a minute behind schedule. I love this school and 'Mr Sills'.

Posted July 10, 2008
I have worked at Discovery Key Elementary since it opened and wouldn't think of going any place else. The parents, students and faculty and staff are such a delight.

Discovery Key Elementary School
3550 Lyons Road, Lake Worth, FL  33467
Last modified Discovery Key Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Key Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews.