Posted August 15, 2013
This school has it's weaknesses but I gave it a 5 star rating because I would not move anywhere else if my parents forced me to.

Posted October 20, 2012
this school is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is too many fights and the principal won't do anything about it!!!!!!!!! my kid came home with a black eye.he is now transfering to the case academy of crystal lake

Southwest Middle School 4

Posted September 02, 2011
I transferred to south west from crystal lake in 08 and i do have to say it was a mush better improvement. A few complaints though i was in the AP courses it didn't get me prepared for the amount of work or what was expected of me in high school. the teachers were friendly some were stricter than others but they were decent teachers. there were fights but that happens and practically every school but they weren't that often.

Posted July 24, 2010
I honestly loved this school. The key in success is Southwest is becoming involved. Their groups and clubs are strong and allow you to do and expand on so much. I've read over most of the negative reviews and yes, I realize there are teachers there that could put forth more effort, but while I was there, I had some of the most genuine, hard working teachers and they have made such a good influence on me. People need to remember that there will never be a perfect, model school. Upon the negative experiences, a student should learn to grow and cope from the situation. It's just a fact of life. We're always going to be with people who we don't get along with or don't see eye to eye too. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed attending this school and will never forget all that I had gained from it.

Posted May 23, 2010
My child started going to this school after the first semester, and the things she comes home and tells me, just blows my mind! Fights are out of control! She has not had a single piece of homework since shes been there.I Honestly dont believe she is learning anything at all! She will not be returning to this school next year!!

Posted May 23, 2010
My daughter just started going to this school and I am unsatisfied with this school. I feel that there are very FEW teachers who actually care about the kids! She has P.E. but they dont make them play sports, all they do is walk the track and talk to their friends! Crazy! Hoping to change schools before next year.

Southwest Middle School 0

Posted April 08, 2010
We transferred our daughter from a charter school to SWMS this school year. We were apprehensive as she had always been enrolled in a small school environment with a much higher great schools score. The accelerated program has been wonderful! She is fully engaged by her teachers. I like the way the accelerated staff use a multidisciplinary approach to teaching. In sixth grade english they have studied the works of Shakespeare, Edith Hamilton and Maya Angelou. The art teacher is phenominal and they offer a rich array of electives and extracurricular activities not available at most schools.

Southwest Middle School 3

Posted March 29, 2010
I am currently enrolled at swms and I really like it a lot i went to shms (sleepy hill middle school) last year and swms was a big improvement the electives are good but, they could be harder. I might have to transfer to lcms (lawton chiles middle school formerly lakeland high school) which i am not looking forward because their uniform is very strict but it is an overall better school and UNFORTUNATLY education is the most important thing for me ( my great looks are second)

Posted January 24, 2010
SWMS is a 5 star school! The faculty, staff and administration are always willing to go the exra mile to be sure all students are challenged to do their best. Rigorous academics and an outstanding elective program ensures all kids are getting a well rounded and focused curriclum. Additionally, SWMS has many after school programs to engage not only students but their parents as well. The biggest negative about SWMS is the lack of parental involvement. Very few parents attend parent programs offered by the school, or attend band, chorus, sports programs, etc., Southwest Middle School continues to get an A+ rating!

Southwest Middle School 0

Posted October 13, 2009
Southwest Middle School, aka SWMS, is the best school in Lakeland, Florida. Southwest Middle School teachers and administrative personnel have endured overwhelming challenges with their students, yet everyone remain dedicated to teaching and promoting positive ideas to all students. This school has faced many challengies. Before my grandson became a student at Southwest, I always heard many negative happenings at Southwest Middle and I had decided I would not enroll him at SWMS due to such negative happenings. My grandson has had to be disciplined for many images! Many I am not proud of! However, many people rallyed around him to help his get over some difficult problems. I recognize these people (teachers, secretaries, school nurse, librians, principal, deans and others have help him through. His mother died in 2008 and these very same people were kind enough to give cash gifts in order to help with her burial (she had no life insurance). The best school is Southwest Middle School. It is awesome!

Southwest Middle School
2815 Eden Parkway, Lakeland, FL  33803
Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top