853 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

A mi hijo le robaron el celular,el hablo con el maestro encargado y no hizo nada.Yo fui a hablar con el principal y el tampoco hizo nada.Es la peor escuela de todas!

This school has it's weaknesses but I gave it a 5 star rating because I would not move anywhere else if my parents forced me to.

this school is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is too many fights and the principal won't do anything about it!!!!!!!!! my kid came home with a black eye.he is now transfering to the case academy of crystal lake

my daughter went to swms last year and im very disappointed with the teaching she had the presidents award last yr and when going to swms her grades have dropped, she never brought homework home and she was told by a teacher that they dont give out homework cause teachers dont feel like grading them????????? hmmmmm you r paid to teach not just show up, i will be showing up to talk to the principal before the start of this yr if they dont want to respond i will go even farther this is crazy i homeschool my youngest and if this is what i can expect from florida schools i will homeschool my oldest

I transferred to south west from crystal lake in 08 and i do have to say it was a mush better improvement. A few complaints though i was in the AP courses it didn't get me prepared for the amount of work or what was expected of me in high school. the teachers were friendly some were stricter than others but they were decent teachers. there were fights but that happens and practically every school but they weren't that often.

I honestly loved this school. The key in success is Southwest is becoming involved. Their groups and clubs are strong and allow you to do and expand on so much. I've read over most of the negative reviews and yes, I realize there are teachers there that could put forth more effort, but while I was there, I had some of the most genuine, hard working teachers and they have made such a good influence on me. People need to remember that there will never be a perfect, model school. Upon the negative experiences, a student should learn to grow and cope from the situation. It's just a fact of life. We're always going to be with people who we don't get along with or don't see eye to eye too. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed attending this school and will never forget all that I had gained from it.

My child started going to this school after the first semester, and the things she comes home and tells me, just blows my mind! Fights are out of control! She has not had a single piece of homework since shes been there.I Honestly dont believe she is learning anything at all! She will not be returning to this school next year!!

My daughter just started going to this school and I am unsatisfied with this school. I feel that there are very FEW teachers who actually care about the kids! She has P.E. but they dont make them play sports, all they do is walk the track and talk to their friends! Crazy! Hoping to change schools before next year.

We transferred our daughter from a charter school to SWMS this school year. We were apprehensive as she had always been enrolled in a small school environment with a much higher great schools score. The accelerated program has been wonderful! She is fully engaged by her teachers. I like the way the accelerated staff use a multidisciplinary approach to teaching. In sixth grade english they have studied the works of Shakespeare, Edith Hamilton and Maya Angelou. The art teacher is phenominal and they offer a rich array of electives and extracurricular activities not available at most schools.

I am currently enrolled at swms and I really like it a lot i went to shms (sleepy hill middle school) last year and swms was a big improvement the electives are good but, they could be harder. I might have to transfer to lcms (lawton chiles middle school formerly lakeland high school) which i am not looking forward because their uniform is very strict but it is an overall better school and UNFORTUNATLY education is the most important thing for me ( my great looks are second)

Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.