Medulla Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 596 students

Posted October 26, 2013

This is A great school Both of my grandson attend there and have been for 4 years. An I myself have been a Volunteer there for 3 years....

Posted May 19, 2013

Many of the concerns that these reviews are stating could be improved or changed IF we had parental involvement in our schol. We have such little Involvement from parents that Medulla now lacks a PTA/PTO. Without the parents actively trying to help make changes come about, Thngs such as campus safety concerns, creating playgrounds or demanding recess time will never happen. We teachers are rarely listened to, but parents are. So please get more involved in making things happen at "your" school instead of just complaining.

Posted March 5, 2013

Really dislike this school. Recently moved to the Lakeland area for a change but turns out to be the biggest mistake when it comes to putting my child in this school. This school lacks in loving teachers and staff. No playground, let alone no recess. Safety is a big concern of mine at this school, open campus. Something needs to be done with this school!!!

Posted January 11, 2013

My son started going to this school in the 1st grade. He's currently in the 5th grade. It started out amazing, and I believe it was the 2 teachers he had for his 1st through 3rd grades. They got the most out of him, and were very organized, professional, and talented (Mrs Hood & Mrs Borg-Lafay). They got him reading 2 grades above his level. Starting in 4th grade things started to change, and I felt the quality was not the same. The 4th grade teacher seemed disorganized, and whenever we had a P/T conference, she would do all the talking. She was a nice person, but I just don't think she was as good of a teacher as the 1st 2. In 5th grade the kids have multiple teachers, and one of them is truly awful. The relationship between my son and teacher is just toxic, and he's acting out. Our son has been singled out on her "bad" list (an actual list) and she hasn't replied to most of our requests. His reading started to decline in 4th, and his level is now lower than the level he attained in 3rd grade. Also, odd that he has less homework now than he had the first few years. The school is okay, and I just wanted to point out that teachers can have a huge impact on your child.

Posted May 4, 2011

I have been fortunate to have been able to be a parent volunteer at Medulla for the past four years. I have worked with just about every grade level and they are all fantastic teachers. The staff at Medulla put all of their effort into their students wholeheartedly. My two children have had the best education and learning experience that any school could ever have offered. I see some of these reviews and wonder if these people are talking about the same school. These descriptions of Medulla and the teachers are not at all what I have encountered. I spend at least a day and a half at Medulla every week. I help out in all kinds of capacities. I meet many students and parents, and interact with much of the staff. I wonder if angry reviews come from parents who have put as much effort into helping to educate their child as they have writing the review. I know that most of us parents cannot spend days at school interacting with teachers. But take it from someone who is lucky enough to be able to do that the teachers at Medulla Elementary are the finest there are.

Posted April 5, 2011

my son went to this school for a short while every thing the person bleow said is true the principal is the meanst woman you ever saw I think she hates her job or something she is aweful they lose kids at dissmal because it is like goning to a rock concert run away from this school screaming if you are zoned here ask for a transfer to another school not even worth one star zero stars zero!!!!

Posted May 15, 2010

Medulla used to be a wonderful school. Teachers would teach their whole 30 years there. There were never any openings unless someone retired.It was a family. Then they got a new principal and now a new assistant principal.They are ruining a once great school.The teachers are so unhappy.Morale is beyond low.The administration is mean-spirited,has favorites,is not fair,does not respect or value its teachers.They allow the students to run wild.The lunchroom is a zoo.The hallways are race tracks.The childen are out of control and the administration does nothing to support its teachers.Actually they even discourage the teachers from sending students to the office for discipline.They do not want to be bothered.Each year since they have been there the school has progressively gotten worse.We parents will not be surprised if Medulla earns a D this year.Maybe then the District will get rid of them and Medulla will return to its greatness.

Posted April 24, 2010

Because it's now comprised of affluent but a rainbow group of children. I never hear or see any negative reports eminating from it either from the children or the staff. So I applaud them in these tenuous time.

Posted October 5, 2009

The staff at Medulla does everything in their power to teach these children that come in each and every day. We need technology so desperately and this money could do that for us so these children have what other schools have. This way they have a fighting chance at the world!

Posted October 5, 2009

It has the best teachers,paras, and students!!!

Posted October 4, 2009

My son started at Medulla Elementary from Kindergarten and is now in the 8th grade. My two daughters are currently at Medulla, one in 1st grade and the other in 5th grade. I've never met a teacher, staff, para... that doesn't have the children's best interests at heart. The principal, coach, secretary and some of the other teachers have been there since my son started, and even the 'newer' teachers are awesome. When searching for our home to buy, it was a bit tough because we refused to move out of Medulla's school district. I love the school and most importantly my children do too. Medulla is the BEST school!

Posted October 4, 2009

Medulla has a fabulous staff. The teachers put students first and go out of their way to meet the needs of their students.

Posted October 3, 2009

Medulla cares about their students and staff.

Posted October 3, 2009

Neat history, awesome teachers, diverse student population

Posted August 27, 2008

We moved from another state and was very disappointed in the school system but this school for sure. We had 2 of our children at Medulla for 2 years and that is all I could take, ESE issues were just a bunch of complaints and not any real help or advise to fix academic issues. Now as for teachers were wonderful. I actually feel sorry for the teachers at that school and the only reason we kept our kids in there that long was the 2 teachers they had for 2007/08 school year which of course my daughters 1st grade teacher didnt come back this year, what a loss, my 1st grader was a straight A student all year and did she get recognition? not from the school, her teacher had her own awards, they need to learn to support their students and teachers!!!

Posted June 10, 2008

I have been teaching at Medulla for several years now and love it there! My co-workers and I are all very dedicated professionals who do everything we can for our students. Many of the problems previously listed are district related vs school issues. Lunch time is a big problem (I have learned to eat very quickly!) but it is due to the small lunchroom and large enrollment. The first class goes to lunch before 11, but the last class ends their lunch after 1. With so many students it is hard to schedule more time per class. Another issued mentioned was the requirements for KG students which is a district desicion. Art has been a concern in the past without a consistent Art teacher, but with a new arrival this last year, we have seen a lot more formal art instruction and even held our First Art Fair in May.

Posted April 1, 2008

I think Medulla Elementary is a school with potential. my daughter attends 2nd grade there with a wonderful teacher. She active within the community and actually cares about what my daughter is doing and how she feels. Very old school and I love it. You may find varied opinions about the staff depending on the situation, but I have nothing but friendly encounters with the office staff. I do agree agree about the small amount of time given to eat lunch. My daughter tells e she has to hurry and hardly finishes her lunch without talking. Also, I went to school there are a child, so it has a special place in my heart with good memories. One thing has changed, they dont do artwork like they used to. I would bring many things home to my parents from art class, but she brings home crayon art or cut out art.

Posted February 18, 2008

I think Medulla is a great school. It might not be the best, but at least they try. My son is in Kindergarten and I think it is ridiculous that he has to know over 70 words and be able to write full sentences on his own. I heard that they started recess last year and I was excited that he would get to play outside this year in Kindergarten, but he says they never go outside, only at PE. As far as art goes, they do different projects that stay in the art room until they are finished. Alot of stuff they do is only temporary anyway and it's not to take home(like clay). I have been on campus alot and I think they are doing an excellent job with the Garden Club. Safety is a real issue. Kids out alone with nobody out to supervise. Anyone could take them!

Posted January 29, 2008

This school lacks in all areas. I don't even Know were to begin. The principal doesn't seem to do anything to improve the school. Its 100 years old and looks it. Safety is a big concern of mine at this school, open campus. Cleanliness is another, bathrooms, classrooms, and the campus could all improve. No playground for kids, but at least this year they do allow recess. They are kids you know. Art class? what art, I never see anything that my chid as done. They never use paint only pencil & crayons sometimes. Whats up with that. Don't expect the lunch staff to actually help your child with their lunch. If they can't reach something they don't get it. But that doesn't really matter because they are lucky if they even have time to eat their lunch. This school is below average and the school board should do something about.

Posted August 25, 2007

The office staff and assistant principal are warm and professional. Principal not friendly or professional at all. They are not setting a good example for our children.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

95 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Ethnicity This school

• MRS. SUSAN G CHEATHAM
Fax number
  • (863) 648-3214

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now