479 students|Polk

Bad
Good

My child was treated unfairly. My child's teacher's (my child was switched twice) was unfair. My child was not taught properly. I got in trouble for trying to get the information I needed for my child to succeed. The teacher yelled at me. I reported her and not much happened. A teacher should not act like that. The next teacher expected my child to know things I did not know my child needed to know because the previous teacher would not tell me. I took my child out of this school at the end of the semester due to the unfairness. My child has missed a lot of school due to being treated unfairly from this school. To the point where it is messing up their attendance even for being sick. Plus since being in another school I see just how much work this school puts on their kids. The work is beyond hard for them. The teacher did tell me he was doing 3rd grade work in 2nd grade to help with test scores. They are shoving school work down their throats. He likes the school he is in now so much more. This school says they are a good school and they care but they do not. They only care about test scores. I do not recommend this school at all.

This school is "hometown charm" at its best! My daughter attended here from kindergarten through fifth grade. The teachers take a personal interest in the success of their students. Extra music, art and computer programs add richness to their education. The principal is devoted to the school's success. She knows every student by name, and works with families to make sure that each family feels welcomed and valued at SWE.

This is the BEST school in the WHOLE-WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!! My two children have excelled there and have had WONDERFUL teachers. EVERYONE there...from the FABULOUS resource teachers to the COMPASSIONATE classroom teachers to the FRIENDLY OFFICE STAFF...to the AMAZING principal...WE LOVE SOUTHWEST!!!!!!!

Everything about this school is FIVE star. The teachers, the office staff, the paras, the students, the custodians, and the cafeteria workers. The principal knows EVERY (400+) child's name and home situation. You won't find this Principal in her office much, she is always in a classroom, walking a student by the hand down the hall or wiping tears from a crying kindergartener. I have been in SEVERAL classrooms during "teaching" time and everyone visit has been impressive. Anyone that says this school is less than awesome needs their head examined!

I went to this school for 6 years, I loved it there and unlike what the parent who submitted their review on October 21 2011 this school was by far the best school I have ever gone to. And also the teachers deserve the credit for the schools rating because the teachers have to teach the children so it really is both the teachers and the students success. We did have recess but it stopped at 4th grade because by the time your in 4th grade you shouldn't need a recess. Over all the atmosphere was great and the kids were under control. All of the teachers I had were very nice and so were most of the children.

Southwest Elementary is the worst school my children have ever attended. The teachers are only concerned with teaching what the kids need to know to pass FCAT. After all, that is where the funding comes from. They have no recess for children and limited social time to interact with other children. They are only allowed to talk, even at lunch, if ALL of the kids at their table have finished eating. The secretary is rude. There is barely any homework. They only send home the exact same math fact sheet so eventually the kids memorize the answers rather than learning them...all because they have to pass the FCAT. They do not teach there. They only prepare them for the "big FCAT exam". Also, they instill fear in them at age 8 so they will surely pass. My son is an emotional wreck after 2 weeks of school because his teacher said if they don't pass the FCAT they don't move on to the next grade and they cannot have recess because they have to study for FCAT. I am pulling my 3 children from that school to home school. The school went from a C rating to an A. Please understand the increase of rating was because of the students success on FCAT, NOT THE TEACHERS success in teaching.

My Kids have been going to Southwest Elementary for four years. I think the A rating says it all. But if that isn't enough the principal is awesome and the teachers are great. The school provided extra in school help to ensure that my slow learner was able to pass. My other child received testing to determine qualification for advanced learning. So the school serves a wide variety of needs. There is an after school care program for working parents. The cafeteria is clean and the food is great. The office and support staff is phenomenal. I m concerned that I be able to find a middle school as good. However, if pressed for a negative, the school doesn t have enough extracurricular clubs. But bottom line is I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better school.

My children have gone to SWE for 5 years. My husband and I loved this school when our children first started attending, but the atmosphere has changed over the last couple of years. We loved the principal, but her attitude has changed. This school has gone from a very warm family feeling to cold. They have forgotten that these are children that still need to have fun. There is no time for fun hands on learning and field trips anymore. The teachers are forced to treat our children like robots and all for the almighty FCAT and SAT10. My children used to be viewed as precious little people, now it seems that they have been reduced to nothing but numbers. I'm just glad that the teachers haven't given up hope yet. They are still the most loving and nuturing group I have ever met, and our family loves SWE's teachers!

Last modified Southwest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.