Kathleen Senior High School

Public | 9-12 | 2108 students

Posted September 26, 2013

My school is a great school. I am a Senior now and i am glad i have gotten to spend my entire 4 year high school career here. Teachers and Deans are great people.

Posted June 4, 2010

I graduated Kathleen in 07... I had the image and seemed like a total rebel, but yet I was totally opposite inside. I loved my school, almost all of my teachers were spectacular once you get to know em and take their classes. Mr McClellan is doing a wonderful job with KHS. The staff, the ones I remember who are still there are like family to me. Mrs Penny attended my so called wedding...And my parents werent even there! I love the football team and follow them all the time. Im a proud Red Devil and will back up my school and Mr McClellan anyday. Mrs Coffin hands down is the best english teacher ever. Mrs Hill....EXCELLENT. The ag teacher, even tho i didnt take ag but one year...is awesome. Mrs Dobson and Mrs Scott, the criminal justice teachers are very smart in their field and are awesome teachers....very funny too.

Posted September 22, 2009

I'm a former student at K.H.S and I loved it there!!! I had the best math teacher and the best aerobics and weight lifting teachers.They might not have the best studdents, but I promise you it would be an honor to graduate at KathLeen Senior High School.

Posted September 16, 2009

Well I went there for 4 years. It is a good school. I did enjoy it. It could be better though I feel like by having better programs. $20,000 would do the school some good.

Posted February 25, 2008

I just graduated in May 2007. When I am out and about, I always hear negative things about KHS. It is unfortunate because most of the people who say those negative things have never stepped foot on the Devil ground. I love Kathleen and I enjoyed my time spent there. I was involved and very active around campus. I think the teachers are great, the principal, and heck all of entire staff is great! Students, don't let anyone try and talk you out of attending KHS! It's really not lal that bad! I promise!

Posted February 22, 2008

this school is a really great and fun school. I love coming here and don't want to graduate anywhere else.

Posted December 15, 2007

KHS has a superior band program, a superior chorus program, top-notch basketball, soccer, football, volleyball, and swimming program, also Ag classes. What else does anyone need. Mr. McClellan is THE BEST! The office staff is warm and caring and the teaching staff is more than qualified to turn out A-one students. There are some troubled youth at the school, but that does not reflect on the administration or the staff, only on the parents. Where are the parents of some of these youth? The ones that fail are because of the lack of parental support. The parents are supposed to rear the children, the teachers are there to teach them.

Posted December 14, 2007

Very good school. You feel at home when you walk in the doors. They treat their children as their own. Excellent music department.

Posted July 14, 2007

I am a junior at kathleen senior high. I have to say that this school is a very enjoyable school. Students and staff make it this way. We have an outstanding principal,and he makes this school great, he pushes the students to do there best and suceed , and the students and staff cooperate well!!

Posted June 9, 2007

I am a freshman at KHS. It is a really good school and the teachers and staff there are a great help. Monda

Posted April 8, 2005

This school offers college classes that will count toward college credits. KHS has an excellent AG, choir, basketball and football program.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 12, 2004

I'm a freshman at Kathleen and so far I think it's a pretty good school. I feel safe there most of the time because security gaurds are all over the halls. Discipline could improve by alot sometimes certain problems are overlooked. The teacher quality could improve. Being a freshman I haven't had many teachers yet but the a few of the ones that I've had were the worst teachers I've had in my life. The principal could improve I don't think I've ever seen him doing anything but walking around the school.The P.E. department could improve on it's teachers or add more activities and the English department could stand to get rid of it's new freshman teacher. The history and science teachers are wonderful. The Geometry teacher I have is the best math teacher I've ever had and the Ag teachers are great. Overall, Kathleen is a good school.

Posted February 21, 2004

I'm not a parent but I graduate this school year.(2004) I'm not at all satisfied with the school this year. I've failed the FCAT 5 times. That is absurd. It's the reading I've had trouble with. I even took a class on it. What my point is, is the principal is so worried if our shirt is tucked in, whether the gate is locked at the front of the school, or something of a low value. They don't worry the fact that more students like me havn't passed the FCAT. No, don't try to help them, worry bout themselves. They won't even come get a kid out of class to use the bathroom, we have to have an escort to come to the class, but they never come, so when the student leaves, the principal punishes them. I dislike my school alot. I hate that my high school years had to end like this.

Posted January 30, 2004

I'm not a parent. I graduated from Kathleen with the class of 2003 and everytime I pass by KHS I want to go back. The school is making changes that will be for the good of the students. I also graduated in 3 years but it wasn't to get away. I love my high school and all the people there and I will represent until the day I die.

Posted December 30, 2003

I graduated from KHS, class 1975. Though the school encountered some difficult times during my stay i still feel as though i received a quality education and could have obtain an even better education had i applied myself more.

Posted December 17, 2003

I attended Kathleen for all three years of high school...that's right, all three years. I hated going to school there so much that I worked diligently to obtain enough credits to graduate a full year early. I think that Mr. D is the greatest thing that has happened to Kathleen since Mr. Alvarez and I hope that he continues to make improvements.

Posted August 26, 2003

While I agree that things are improving at KHS, I remain very disappointed at the class sizes. I understand that the state allows up to 36 students in a class, but can anyone teach 36 students in a single class?

Posted August 26, 2003

We are very proud to have our teen attend KHS She is a senior and with Mr. D. As principle last year and this year it has made a great difference in the way the school has improved

Posted August 10, 2003

Kathleen High School has long been overshadowed by the more affluent high schools in Lakeland. It has been rejected as being inferior while it is actually a 'jewel in the rough'. Finally, since the arrival of Mike D'Angelo (principal) KHS has begun to shine. Mr. D'Angelo has brought a sense of revitalization. We look forward to finally being recognized as the quality school (and people) that we are.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

586 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

529 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

507 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

453 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

440 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

575 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

585 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

455 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 11%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (863) 499-2726

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options