1,150 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 05, 2016
Mrs. Hicks and staff thank you for helping my son Justin, who has aspergers, feel safe and accepted at McKeel Academy of Technology. We were very concerned with the transition from NY to FL but with the whole staff of McKeel he is thriving and doing his best work with this school. So thankful for all.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 05, 2016
My child has not experienced any difficulties like he has before from bullying or being made fun of because of his aspergers.

Posted May 05, 2016
It has been an amazing year for my student. He's got great grades and transitioned well from NY to FL because of being accepted here. Can't wait to see how my other son thrives next year. Thank you

Posted February 25, 2016
McKeel academy of Technology offers a great future for me. The students are fun, nice, and welcoming, and they have lots of programs that can help you decide in what to do without future. You can do dual enrollment, the teachers are also nice, not to mention the lunches. Some teachers are mean and uncooperative, but other than that, it's the best school I have ever been to.

McKeel Academy Of Technology 4

Posted October 19, 2013
I've been a student at McKeel for a few years now. The first year there, 6th grade, I was shocked to find the uniforms so expensive. You have to pay for basically everything at McKeel. I do agree with other comments, about the school only wanting to be an A grade school. They have high expectations for grades. Get an F more than twice on your report card, and you get kicked out. Although, the school does have a good side. They will NOT tolerate bullying or fighting. You do either after being warned a first time, and you're out. But, overall, it's a good school.

McKeel Academy Of Technology 2

Posted October 18, 2013
It seems that MOST of the normal day to day things are made to be so very difficult at McKeel, from obtaining the correct uniform (which is far above what a Target or Wal Mart uniform would be) to checking your child's grade, to understanding exactly what is expected of you. Communication is very poor, and there is no passion from any of the educators, nor is there any courtesy provided to you when you visit the office, I truly hope they do not treat the children this way.

Posted June 11, 2013
I have been a student here at McKeel Academy for 3, going on 4 years. It started off okay and has had its ups and downs. When I first started I, nor my parents were told about the crazy uniform system at McKeel so I got in trouble quite often(you can get kicked out for multiple uniform problems). The uniforms are pretty expensive but required and all the school cares about is being an 'A' school. If you help the school financially or are an important part of a varsity team then you get special treatment by the staff. The work is tough but some how does help you for the real world, work wise. "No child left behind" is a facade put up by the McKeel staff. If you can't keep up, you get dropped, hard. They don't care at all. Basically all they try to do is find the best of the best and forget the rest. But, there is one teacher, Mr.Morgan(health) who is probably the best teacher that I will EVER come across. I feel that I have learned so much from him, much more than curriculum, life and people skills and just how to be a better person overall. He truly cares about his students and athletes(since he is also the wrestling coach). On that note, I would say I'm finished. Go McKeel!

Posted July 02, 2012
We've been a McKeel family for 9 years, my son started in kindergarten and just left middle school. Years ago this school was great but has steadily went down hill. They really only seem to care about being an "A" school and what looks good for the McKeel name. If you are rich and can support the school financially you'll have no problem but if you struggle with outrageous uniform prices and barely make it then school doesn't care about you. My son struggled this year and had some issues during the year but overcame and went from a D/F student to a B student but we just received the letter stating he would NOT be able to come back next year since he "did not meet the criteria" for McKeel. The principal states that the concern is for the students, bull, it is for the image of the school so that they can weed out the so-so kids and have the best/rich kids to make sure that they continue to receive an "A" school status. If they were concerned for the children they would not have a committee look at each student to determine if they meet "McKeel criteria" All children have the right to an education and this isn't a private school, help the struggling ones not get rid of them!!!

Posted November 10, 2011
I am a special ed. teacher. I work with students with special needs. My son is ADHD and has attended McKeel with his sister for several years. McKeel has very high standards academically, socially and personally. A check system keeps track of misbehavior and disorganization. You can expect about three and a half hours of homework a night, more if there are projects due. If your child is college bound, this school will prepare them. My older boys got honor roll in public school, then were overwhelmed in college. This will not happen to McKeel students. All schools have clicks, but drugs or violence will get a student kicked out, It is a relief not to worry about these issues. Of course, verbal bullying is harder to prove, but student are reminded repeatedly to refer to the counselor with any problem. Several comments on this page were written by children, who rarely see the big picture.

Posted November 09, 2011
I just transferred to Mckeel late this year and find it VERY stricter and harder than any other school I've been to so far. Their educational expectations are set very high which makes it SUPER hard if you transfer in late. I have had problems with 2 teachers so far. I was a very overwhelmed with all of the due dates and work. I never thought I would work so hard in my life. I'm working till 12 each night.. and Im only in 8th grade. You have to be willing to be work hard and to be challenged educationally. My parents and I hate the uniform company that the school uses (Fontain- which is now Rise Brothers). They are over priced and if you transfer into the school, late in the year, you have to drive all the way to Clear-water to get a fitting. The staff, so far, are very nice. If you need help, you have to E-mail the teachers-That's KEY communication. They have a "check system" where you write checks if you forget deadlines or you don't have a belt (not a big fan of that). I've worked very hard and It's only October. They definitely are way more technologically advanced than most public school. It's a pretty good school, but it's not the best.

1810 West Parker Street, Lakeland, FL  33815
Last modified McKeel Academy Of Technology is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.