873 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Both my children started attending this school 2 years ago after having an awful experience at another school in Brandon. They love it and the teachers have been great. Never any issues with bullying or work. The office staff is pleasant and helpful. It a great school and the teacher s are wonderful!

My Daughter attended Sikes Elementary from Fall 2011 until Fall 2012. We moved out of state just after the start of her 1st grade year. We had a horrible experience at this school. Her kindergarten teacher was cold and yelled a lot. She also said things to the children that were untrue or told stories that were too much for 5 year olds to handle or understand. I spoke with and overheard several other teachers who just seemed to be burnt-out on teaching and children in general. The majority of the office staff that I dealt with was also cold and unpleasant. The children are not held to an acceptable level of expectations for behavior. My daughter would come home in tears almost everyday, and getting her to school was a major fight with tantrums and tears every morning. She had horrible anxiety because of school. On top of all that, the education level was horrible. Most of what they learned was what the kids should have already known, trying to catch up kids that were not even ready for kindergarten, or teaching just what they needed to know for the testing. I ended up supplementing at home with extra lessons, just so she wouldn't be behind when we moved.

My daughter is a first grader, and so far the teachers have been very competitive, caring, motivating, and knowledgeable. They have immediately recognized the strenghts and weaknesses of my daughter as well as her potential and work with her. The extracurricular activities are both educational and fun. I've been able to speak with the principal, and I can tell he is very committed and has great leadership skills. The school is very well-organized and is pro parents involvement. I'm glad my daughter goes to Sikes and she loves it!

When we brought our daughter to Sikes she was behind. If it wasn't for the care her 3rd grade teacher gave, she would have given up on school. She was in a private school and making good grades, but when she transferred she not only didn't know anyone but couldn't keep up. The teacher made her feel that it wasn't her fault that she was behind, but her previous school. She was pulled back to 2nd grade but she loves school again and still talks to her 3rd grade teacher. I can only hope that she gets the same teacher again for 3rd grade next year. Sikes was a blessing for us and our daughter.

We are looking to transfer our child out of this school due to the lack of accountability on the faculties part. Instead of helping a child that is struggling they would prefer to have them listed as disabled or listed as ADD. We found that this makes a difference when it comes to testing them at the middle of the year with FCAT. The school has a new Principal who, finally, seems to care more about the students then Principles in the past. We have had major issues with 2 teachers. They do have a few great teachers that are truly asset to the school. But these are far and few between from what we have seen so far.

Last modified James W. Sikes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.