741 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Posted October 22, 2014
Maybe you should Home School Your children if do not not like Wendell Watson so much but then remember you would have to be involved in the teaching process and Help you child learn and memorize the work he is doing. The only thing I can agree with you on is Mr Sim's, yes he was very understanding and great with the Kids and our son liked him also.Everything else is Life lessons that have to be learned and for children to succeed in any enviroment. Seriously, I spend a lot of time at the school participating in activities and supporting the teachers my son has and have had a completely different experience. What I see is no parental involvement and lack of accountability from many parents. When 72 % of the kids get free lunch and on a average day 34 are late to school, 45 are picked up from school early it disrupts the whole class and if you do not take the time to work with you child on his homework to keep him up to speed with rest of class then they will fall behind in their school work. Way too many parents are not involved in the child's life nor hold their child accountable for doing their homework and checking it when done. Teachers are not their parents.Randy Smith- Parent

Posted October 20, 2014
I am very disappointed with Wendell Watson. My oldest was there 1 year, my daughter 2 years and my other son since kindergarten in 3rd now...and out of all the teachers there was ONE teachers that was about teaching the kids! They push very hard to teach the kids but don't want to take the time to make sure they understand. Last week they introduced multiplication they are barely on the 3's and today my son had work with algebra!?! That's great if they understand it but make sure they are learning. Wendell Watson is way to worried about maintaining their "A" rating to care about anything else. Mr. Sims was my son's second grade teacher he is an amazing teacher who understands how to keep kids focused. My son was excited to learn last year now he is to sit and memorize things. I am thinking about homeschooling now.

Wendell Watson Elementary School 4

Posted May 26, 2014
Wendell Watson has outstanding teachers. I have two children that have been there since kg they are both straight A students. I am simply amazed that in some of the reviews parents are putting blame on the teachers for their child not performing well. As I see it parents should get more involved in their child's education. The teachers have eight hours a day to teach as much as they can. Get involved people. What happened to the days when parents cared?

Posted July 17, 2013
What can I say....does not deserve a 7 out of 10. My son went there because he could not get into a charter school. Aparently, 2nd grade teacher yells alot. No playground!!! 2nd graders thrown into a empty yard to take a break. No playground, no balls, no games nothing.... Just grass. He came home crying every day. Oh yeah, fun for a kid. His grades fell drastically in just 1 1/2 months. That says alot!! Called twice for a parent/teacher conference. Teacher never responded. We're just bidding our time till he gets into better school, a charter or Montessori school. At this point I think home schooling would b a better option.

Posted June 27, 2009
(moved) My two children transferd with straight A's to Wendell Watson . In one year they dropped to average grades. I should have went with my gut feeling at the beginning of the year. My children will not go back.

Wendell Watson Elementary School

Posted June 23, 2009
My son attended this school for two years. Although it has a very good grade, I question the staff's ability to handle misbehaving children. He has attended two other schools where teachers and the school psychologist utilized methods to work around his ADHD with success in terms of behavior in the classroom. This school was not willing to work this method. I was told repeatedly to just put him on medication by various staff members. I am very thankful that he's out of that school and is at a good one that is actually helping him.

Posted October 25, 2007
We have been at several schools in the last Thirteen years and by far Wendell Watson is the best. You will not find a more caring principle or staff then at WWE. They truly want every child succeed.

Posted October 27, 2006
I am very dissappionted in this school. I have come from out of state my daughter loved school until she came her. There is to much about this FCAT and there not teaching the childern. I am going to have to take my child out of this school.

Posted May 17, 2006
Wendell Watson is an excellent school, Mrs. Herring and Mrs. Apgar do a great job. Everyone I have come in contact with has been very professional and my son has had a very positive experience. Things are orderly, clean and overall run very well. Hats off to Wendell Watson! Teachers have been great also...

Wendell Watson Elementary School 3

Posted April 28, 2005
The alpha program with Mrs. Davis was wonderful. She was an amazing teacher and mentor for the children. My son had Mrs. Tharpe for Kindergarten and she truly kept him under her wing.

Wendell Watson Elementary School
6800 Walt Williams Road, Lakeland, FL  33809
Last modified Wendell Watson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.