729 students|Polk

Bad
Good

I am a former Blake parent, and I have to say, not many schools make you feel like your part of their family. All the teachers, including the principal, are very friendly and caring. I never had any problems with the teachers, in fact, they always kept me up to date with everything and constantly reminded me of what a pleasure it was to have my kids as students. Blake normally assigns the students with the same teacher as they move up a grade for 2 years, which is awesome. My kids were always looking forward to going to school everyday, always on top of it and always made honor rolls, thanks to these amazing knowledgeable teachers. We have moved out of state and my kids still talk about Blake Academy, how much they miss their teachers and the school overall.

We all know that every child as well as each school is unique. Blake Academy has been a great school for all of my three kids. My youngest child in 6th grade, who has been in this school since first grade loves his teachers, friends and all the school activities. It is a pleasure to watch him getting excited to get up every morning to attend school and learn - he does not even want to miss his bus and school even when he is not feeling well. We owe it to the school Principal, the teachers and the school staff, who make the environment family-oriented for our kids to feel safe and cared for. The "out of the box" concept is highly recommended, especially their Gifted program, the leadership training and workshops that helped developed our kids academic growth, social skills and intellectual growth. A five stars to this school is a must, as my two older kids also enjoyed their time in this school and their previous teachers, but enjoy visiting during family festivals and concerts. It is always a team effort to make it successful. Blake Academy has been training our kids to be responsible individuals.The best system is always the one that works! Kudos and keep up the great work!!

I just transfered out of Blake to Mckeel and to be honest... I miss this school SO MUCH! This was suppose to be my last year (8th grade year- which is the best year of them all) at Blake. The teachers are AWESOME! I wish i never transfered because when you enter middle school, your with the same group of teachers for your "last" 3 years in middle school. After a year or two, we become a really big family because we've known every one since 6th grade. I definitely miss my Blake family :( But I love how I still get invited to events and activities. You might think it's the hardest school but trust me- compared to Mckeel, your years there should be a piece of cake (but you still learn a-lot!). They provide after-school tutoring and are very helpful. No matter where I'm at, I still feel apart of Blake(: Year of 2011-2012

My oldest has attended Blake for 6 yrs with 2 siblings following..I have never been a big fan of the principal. She doesn't seem concerned with consequences when children misbehave. She cares more about the child being in class and working. If the child was working he/she wouldn't have time to inappropriately touch my child. There is a uniform policy yet the principal allows children to walk around school with their pants hanging past their bottoms. The teacherfs hands are tied because they know the principal isn't going to do anything about bad behavior other than send them back to class. The teachers at Blake, from whom I have delat with, are WONDERFUL. The asst. principal is wonderful. There are problems at every school but how those problems are addressed makes all the difference in children succeeding. Currently looking to move my children to McKeel.

I've been in it for 2 years for year always the hardest but second year worest as I've been worse throu the years I was almost about to be expelled but luckily the teacher and the principle asked for me to come one day and sit down and tell us why u make problem what's wrong I told them what they asked and they found me a solution that not also I found great but my parents as well they put me in a program I think called FALL with man that will teach you about life make focus through life and at school but also at home and as the year passed I love the programed but it's a beautiful school nice teachers nice community

So not true! The teachers are very helpful to 'willing' parents. And the principal does everything for those kids. I have talked to her regarding 2 problems and she is overboard with willingness to help resolve the situation. It is your job to raise your child and maybe you have failed, not Blake Academy.

we love this school! our daughter has gone to blake since kindergarten & will be a student there as long as our family lives in polk county! this school seems so out of place in polk county, i feel lucky to have my daughter attend blake & my sons will be students there when they go into kindergarten.

My child feels inadequate at school and teachers have not helped to come up with plan to help my child adjust. On many occasions I have made attempts to become involved and be active in a solution. Also I have experienced a snubbing attitude from the principle and some staff. Making it difficult to continue to be involved when going means getting such negitive attitudes.

We have been in several area schools both private and public. My son is a middle-schooler at Blake and I really like the community created by his grade-level teachers. They function as a team and they help the kids to feel connected to learning and to the school. He is involved in band and is taking some very interesting classes. He has been energized since attending Blake. From the office staff, to the principals and the teachers--they are creating a culture of learning that excites the kids and helps them to feel a part of something cool. I'm very pleased and I am very picky!! My daughter is at a very well run school with high academic performance and school grades, but there is not the sense of community or spirit of Blake at all. She's on the waiting list at Blake and she can't wait to go there.

After 4 years and multiple children at Blake, I can say the following: pros: band, cons: poor leadership, about 1/4 of the staff are teachers in their first or second year teaching, high turnover rate of teachers, horrible time management for parents at school events

Last modified Rosabelle W. Blake Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.