675 students|Polk

Bad
Good

The admin is terrible to deal with, especially the principal. The PTO is solely focused on raising money and the SAC is merely a formality. There is no snack time. Your child will be starving by 3pm dismissal, plan accordingly. You will not be able to walk your child to class their first day, at all. If your child is bullied, don't bother with the admin. Talk directly to the teacher, the admin (asst. principal) will not be much help. The playground is broken and unusable, & not getting repaired as far as anybody knows. They area for recess is full of large ant hills, so be prepared for ant bites. Be prepared to get nasty letters threatening criminal charges if your child is late/absent without a Dr's note. School ranks in the bottom 300 statewide for reading. Hopefully you will get one of the few great teachers left. It's the only bright spot at this school. The PE coach is wonderful. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the admin will drive the last few great teachers to other schools. Your kids deserve a better school. Don't make the same mistake I did. Move to another school zone if you can. My kids loved school until they went to Sleepy Hill.

It is still early in the new year (2014-2015)... so far I am less than enthused about the over all school. To the eye, it's clean and presentable, however the office ladies are snotty and chase when asked questions. They (both the teachers and faculty) do not seem to have it together with communication as well. . . For example, upon registration my child was assigned a teacher, when faced with the question of which class my daughter attended I replied with the assigned teacher at registration to then find out she was moved to another teachers class!! What if it were an emergency, I believe that parents should be notified of new assignment to a class. As for the class she is now present In, I get a folder once a week and that is ALL the established communication I receive from her teacher, no marks in her agenda and no remark or acknowledgement to notes made by myself. :/ hopefully, this is just a rocky start and as the year progresses my review will be diffrent, until then I understand now why the schools grade went down in a school years time.

Worst school I've encountered. I had a child here that was bullied to the extreme and nothing was done. It got to a point where it affected her so much I had to start to take her to a neurologist because she started to develop extreme migraines. I spoke to the asst principal first and her additud was disgusting. Her answer to why my child would let other kids bully was because in a Hispanic household women are used to letting their husbands bully them and thats what they learn at home. Little did she know I've been a proud single mom since my child was 2! Never a boyfriend or male in my house other than my siblings for a visit. So I requested to see the principal she defended the thought so what did I do? That same day looked for an apartment and just moved completely out of Polk county. So, Hispanic single mothers out there planning to move AVOID this school by all means! Better yet avoid Lakeland PERIOD! Ohhh BTW I don't even look Hispanic.

My daughter attends Sleepy Hill through the Headstart program and I love it. The environment is inviting and the staff is extremely hands on and informative. My child was one of those kids that had a hard time in group settings, but has now blossomed into a social butterfly. Her love of learning has been nurtured, pushing her towards her full potential.

Last modified Sleepy Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.