No rating

Academy At The Lakes

Private | PK-12 | 429 students

We celebrate the love of learning and the joy in the journey.

Living in Land O'Lakes

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $139,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted September 17, 2014

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching our daughter grow as a person and as a student over the last 3 years (she is in 3rd grade). Our goal in examining private education was to define a school based on excellent academics, social empowerment, a well defined arts and music program, technology initiatives and opportunities for sports. Academy has more than exceeded all of these requirements. We needed this after going to a local 'A' grade public school for kindergarten and were appalled with what we encountered: students showing up to the first day of school and not knowing basic colors, letters and 1-10. It affected our daughter's learning and skills. She knew advanced polygons, basic math and reading by kindergarten. She digressed massively in the public school system. Our daughter has returned to her love of learning, is empowered, plays piano and learning violin, has had art exhibited at a gallery, and enjoys her sports coaches. FYI - Each child learns a musical instrument. When competitions (sports or academics) occur they go and act with grace, whether winning or losing. I cannot say enough about this school and how much it has meant to us. Esse Quam Videri! Go Wildcats!

Posted April 17, 2014

Academy has been an outstanding experience for our daughter. She has a love of learning. When she was in pre-I she went to a Montessori based school and did very well. Unfortunately, we transitioned her to a public school in New Tampa and it was a horrid mistake. Academy has been great at training her as a person, student, artist and now athlete. The well rounded child we had is now back! I owe a massive debt of gratitude to Academy. I cannot say enough good things about the faculty, staff and the other parents. It is truly a microcosm community, which also does a lot in helping surrounding communities as well. If you are considering private school, Academy should be right on top!

Posted November 14, 2013

HOME AWAY FROM HOME! My children and our family love the school. The academics, sports, arts, and clubs are great. Most importantly, the teachers and the administration are the best and take genuine interest in your child, helping them develop to the best of their ability as an individual.

Posted October 4, 2013

My children could not be more pleased with their experience at Academy at the Lakes. They literally wake up each day looking forward to going to school to see their friends and teachers. I have total confidence that while they are there they are learning how to be a well-rounded child, both socially and academically, and a good citizen of the world. If you are looking for a school that will offer your child individual attention, small classes and a broad range of learning opportunities look no further-- you've found it! The access to (and communication with) the teachers and administrators is second to none! I can send my childs teacher and email or text and have a response back typically within an hour or so. Excellent!

Posted October 3, 2013

This is a top notch experience. We have been at this school for 6 years. My kids are excelling in all areas including fine arts and technology. The teachers are so carry and you and the heads of school really do have an open door policy. It's a true sense of community at this school with alot of areas that families can get involved

Posted September 16, 2013

I have had my child at academy for some time now, I am surprised by some of the negative reviews and honesty would say this is not a place that caters only to people that make big donations. I struggle with the tuition every year and the staff always works with me on payment plans etc. My child has received an amazing education and was accepted into a top tier university largely thanks to the education, counseling and assistance from the college prep team at Academy. They reviewed every application, assisted her with letters of recommendation, provided college counseling from the 8th grade on and most importantly made sure she was ready to take make the transition into University (academically and socially). I would tell anyone looking to take a look themselves as it is worth it here

Posted October 3, 2012

The Best School in the Tampa Bay Area.!! We moved from NY five years ago and have been happy since we found Academy. My daughter is getting a top notch education in a warm caring environment; where the teachers, staff and all care for the children. They offer a quality college preparatory education with a mix of arts, extracurricular activities, sports that develop a well rounded child; prepared for the real world.

Posted June 15, 2012

This is by far in my opinion the worst education I have ever seen they are a school that masks themselves by assemblies and fake smiles they only care about appearance not a true quality of education do not waste your money it's even worst then public education the headmaster needs to go back to school and learn what education s really about!

Posted October 3, 2011

5 Stars in my book! Our child has attended at this school for the 3rd year and so far we have no complaints to speak of. Previous to enrollment we have found that other schools both public and private have offered a sub standard product comparably. In reference to the foreclosure pitch, one should be honest and admit that the school's administration and board was nothing less than forthcoming and open about ongoing negotiations regarding refinancing options. So if your child truly attended the school last year then you would be able to admit that without any reservation and know that we as parents were NOT asked to keep a lid on it. If you are seeking to place your child in a warm, but challenging school environment then perhaps this would be the school of choice. If you want politics and inequality then keep searching. No complaints here.

Posted May 29, 2011

My son started this school after being in public school here in fl. We moved from NJ where the school system was excellent. The public Florida school was to say the least horrible the teacher didnt care and it showed everyday!!! Academy at the lakes is a wonderful school its like a big family my son is doing fantastic and has made many friends. The teachers care about the kids and do their best everday to show that!! I love this school and I am glad we found it!!! Tuition is high but if you want your child to be well rounded and happy this is the place!!!

Posted May 21, 2011

Academy is a GREAT school with dedicated teachers & staff. I would not send my kids anywhere else!!! Thank You Academy!

Posted April 21, 2011

Academy at the Lakes didn't pay their mortgage to the Bank of America in November of 2010 and foreclosure proceeding's were brought against them on April 18th of 2011. The school has sent out missives to its faculty to stay mum on the issue and keep a stiff upper lip, but this was wide out in the open in the press and the St. Pete Times. Further investigation needs to be made before committing to this shaky institution.

Posted January 14, 2011

What a school! We struggled to come to terms with the cost at first, but working with the staff there proved to be quite rewarding!!! Thank you! Our daughter's education was so important to us, above anything else. Here, she is thriving, enjoying a fantastic education, social mix, athletics, etc. We are very pleased with everything!

Posted October 8, 2010

I like the school because of all the Fabulous events i see my Friend Kristen's kids doing. Luc and Travis are always talking about the fun they have and how much they LOVE their teachers.....

Posted October 8, 2010

The one on one attention my children get, and the family like atmosphere.

Posted April 24, 2010

Academy is truly the best school I have ever attended. I have been through public schools, other private schools, and even homeschooling. None of these compare to academy. They challenge me academically and offer me numerous opportunities to grow as a person. The teachers offer extra help sessions and everything else they possibly can to help us. The school offers numerous extra-curricular activities as well, which not only creates well rounded students, but a family-like environment. Academy is where I feel safest, and it really is my home.

Posted August 29, 2009

Academy at the Lakes is a great place for children to grow into confident, accomplished young adults. My children have been at the school for a number of years and are very well prepared for their future. The administration is great -- open, caring, inspiring. The teachers change lives because they care about individual students. Some of the reviews on this site are crazy! (From parents who either don't have their demands met or whose kids can't cut it.) This is a great school, and it's getting better with the changes they are unafraid to make every year!

Posted June 30, 2009

academy is an awsome place to go to school. The teachers and faculty realy care about the students and want them to do well. Also, all of the teachers and faculty are easy to talk to no matter the topic. Academy is accomotating to all needs. If a student is very advanced or has disabiluties, the proper care and placement is aworded. This coming year will be my 12th year at academy. 1st grade-11grade, and i plan to graduate from academy. they have helped me with my SLD( learnig disabiluty) and i repeated 1st grade. i'm now basicly non-disabled because of the help I've received there. I have many close friends and every one if freindly towards each other. Even though it sounds corny, we are like a family.

Posted June 14, 2009

I regret going to that school also the school has to many activities that there is no time to teach

Posted June 9, 2009

Academy deserves recognition for all the hard work they put into this school. The faculty really do care for the children. The facililty is growing faster than the school could handle at this time. It is going through growing pains. In comparision to the school my children attend now it is a very young school. The quality is there you just have to look for it and make the best of it. I am no longer a parent from this school. We have moved away. I wish this school success.

Asian 9% N/A
Two or more races 9% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mark Heller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations

• College prep
  • Honors track
  • Internships
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom