Largo, FL

Posted February 04, 2014
I have always taken my children's safety for granted, just because they are locked behind school gates does not mean their safe. My daughter and I went through a horrific traumatic bullying ordeal in which I sent her back to school the day after filing the report, I assumed she would be safe. The vice principle "appointed investigator of bullying" spent her time alone with my daughter behind closed doors telling her how she wasn't bullied. Then my daughter(only 8 years old) went back to class where her teacher did the same thing. Retaliation against someone for filing an alleged report of bullying is against the law, but not one person in this whole ordeal was disciplined. The Principle does not want to admit she has a bullying problem in the school so they spend their time ignoring it or covering it up. Pinellas County Schools are a "JOKE" and Mildred Helms got a one on my ranking because I could not give them a negative number. Make sure if your children attend this school that you talk to your children often about bullying, BEWARE!

Posted April 24, 2013
This is such a disappointment. It is blatantly obvious the general attitude of the staff is rude and unfriendly. Pity any child who is compelled to attend school here. If by some misfortune you need to speak to anyone in the front office, expect to be treated as though you are interrupting their free time.

Mildred Helms Elementary School 2

Posted August 22, 2012
My older son has been to several schools, and he's doing well at this one and has a teacher that seems to be a good one. I'd say overall the school is average. My younger son started kindergarten as one of the youngest in his class and he had some trouble, I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that his teacher is considerably older than most teachers and doesn't seem to really enjoy her job much. When I met her she wasn't the least bit polite or friendly, seemed annoyed to be getting another kid in her class and I just had a feeling it wasn't going to work out well. There's very little play time in kindergarten, it's a very structured learning environment which is fine...but I think if he had a teacher who was a little happier, more understanding, willing to take a minute and ask what's wrong and explain things my son probably would have done a lot better. I have decided it's best to home-school my younger son this year rather than continuing kindergarten. I definitely won't say it's all the teacher, my son just wasn't quite ready this year but I will say that I expect happier and more polite and courteous teachers from my children's school.

Posted July 15, 2011
This school has a lot to be desired. The staff always seems like you are interrupting their schedule when you call or go in to the office to speak to someone about any issue you might have. My sons teacher actually told me if i wanted to speak to her about anything to do with my son, then I had to do it on school time because once she leaves the schools property she is on her personal time. They have no playground for the students and the the students do not get a recess. I also had a problem getting my son bused because we live under 2 miles from the school. I was told my 7 year old could just walk or ride his bike the 1.8 miles to school like it was no big deal. It took me 3 months of fighting to get him on the bus which had a stop 4 blocks from our house and was only a third full with students. I would not recommend this school for any parent. They seemed to be more concerned with being in the new "Dolphin Tale" movie than providing a safe and quality education to the students. If you can, pass on Mildred Helms.

Mildred Helms Elementary School 2

Posted March 17, 2010

Mildred Helms Elementary School 3

Posted March 16, 2010
School spirit, teachers are wonderful!! New principal leaves a lot to be desired. From what I've witnessed, she isn't friendly to the parents or students!! If you aren't enjoying your job, let someone come in that will enjoy it and the wonderful students that attend!

Mildred Helms Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
I appreciate the encouragement and comradery between teachers especially the Kindergarten Team and team leader.Substitute teacher

Mildred Helms Elementary School 3

Posted August 26, 2009

Mildred Helms Elementary School 5

Posted March 26, 2008
MHES staff is wonderful! Their teachers are caring and involved and I have never had a problem getting feedback from them for my childs' progress. The admin staff really are the best, especially their behavior specialist!

Mildred Helms Elementary School 5

Posted December 04, 2006

Mildred Helms Elementary School
561 Clearwater Largo Road South, Largo, FL  33770
Last modified Mildred Helms Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mildred Helms Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top