Lithia, FL

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 26, 2015
how hard is it to teach to kids in a perfect demographic? these are every teacher's dream students, and they should be scoring even better. seems the "teaching to the test only" isn't working out.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
Lacking true ethics. This is an environment of gossip and nastiness. Chatty mouths have little minds.

Bevis Elementary School 1

Posted May 26, 2015
I had a lot to say, but this review from 2008 about summed it up. Seems as nothing has changed in 7 years. This is not the school for anyone wanting a true, meaningful learning experience, and I tried very much to drink and enjoy the "koolaid." "Posted May 06, 2008 - a parent My wife and I moved to Fishhawk for the specific purpose of going to this school. We read about the rating and thought we were going to get a superior level of instruction for our children. We were sadly mistaken. We have been disappointed from day 1. We have had multiple meeting with the teacher, guidance counselor and vice principal all to no avail. Their response to our concerns was 'well that isn't how we do things here at Bevis.' This school is all about the FCAT and only that. Don't expect any quality of music, art or physical education. At the elementary level they don't even have recess for the kids on a daily basis! The expectations of the administration is for the kids to be robots and sit at their desk all day long learning how to take the FCAT. I say no thank you! Stay away! "

Posted April 06, 2015
We moved to fishhawk from NY a little over a month ago and we love bevis. this is the best decision we have ever made. Where we used to live it was un heard of to rid bikes or even walk to school. Our daughter received the warmest welcome and loves it. We actually went to the local pizzeria and the teacher saw my daughter and made it a point to come over and talk to us. We have never been happier.

Posted February 19, 2014
This school is top notch! The administration is amazing. Mrs. Cochrane takes the time to know each and every student attending Bevis. I was amazed when she welcomed my child, by name, on the first day of school !

Posted February 19, 2014
This is an amazing school! The teachers expect that all students can and will achieve in their classroom and tend to the needs of each student. Mrs. Cochrane and Mrs. Thoms are amazing administrators. Keep up the good work Bevis!

Bevis Elementary School 2

Posted October 04, 2013
More Bevis cool aid please. Who is keeps posting that this school is "outstanding" and the kids are "ahead" and we're all for "lucky" to send our kids here? This was not my experience at all. Like others have mentioned I choose this neighborhood for this school's reputation. I have been very disappointed. Children are passive learners forced to wear uniforms, sit in assigned seats at lunch and they don't have recess everyday. Homework is correlated with higher standardized test scores (but not actual performance) so there is plently assigned. You know what your child has for homework based on the day of the week. Zero creativity. This is the least child centered elementary school I have even seen. Your child will dread school by third grade. Bevis does not care about best practices, only data. When I finally sent my oldest to a different elementary school she was behind in math. But she scored fine on the FCAT so that's all that matters, right? If your child is average they do not want you to attend this school. They want you to choice somewhere else. Ask a question and you will be labeled a troublemaker. So drink that cool aid, conform and go take another AR test.

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is outstanding. The fortunate children who attend school there are a step ahead of other students. The teachers and administrators provide a loving and nurturing environment. Most of the faculty members go above and beyond what is required of them. My three children have never had an unhappy day there.

Bevis Elementary School 1

Posted September 02, 2013
i am a 7th grader, who now goes to Orange Grove Middle Magnet school. Bevis was the worst school i have ever stepped foot in! They don't teach for the sake of the kids, but for the FCAT! I have serious Athsma, so i missed school. I was made to feel guilty and awful about it. teachers htere show favoritism, and the PTA women were just like a bunch of high school girls! Gossiping and talking about other parents who don't drive fancy cars. Please stay away from this "blue ribon school"

Posted July 22, 2013
Awesome - incredible staff who are passionate about teaching and genuinely care for their students. Academically this school is rigorous and prepares students for middle school so that when they arrive they are WAY ahead of their peers! Just a fabulous school.

5720 Osprey Ridge Drive, Lithia, FL  33547
Last modified Bevis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bevis Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top