Milwee Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1229 students

Posted Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The teacher and staff are great, and the curriculum is something to die for...when it's done right. I have many classes which I immensely enjoy, gaining pleasure and knowledge from each lesson I learn, but there are classes that lack in this. Greatly, might I add. This isn't the teacher's fault, but mostly the students. Let me just say, many of them are plain rude, disrespectful, pompous, and they do nothing but laugh and mock the teacher whenever s/he tries to ask them to stop. Some teachers are able to bring the noise level down, but if a student is unfortunate enough to have an overly kind teacher, well, they're aren't going to learn very much from that class. Not only that, but bullying is quite evident here. There many students who cuss one another out, laugh at a kid who's a bit different, or basically talk about one another behind their back. I even hear kids repeatedly call some girls ugly behind their back, or do horrid crimes such as disparage another classmate who's nationality is different from theirs. Some even proclaim that they smoke weed, and expect to be highly praise for it. Overall, taking a shy kid to this school is like giving him a ticket to hell.

Posted March 17, 2014

As I do understand, many people that will read a review from a child probably will not take it into consideration, but, I have the best first hand evidence than any parent or visitor could have. I am in 6th grade, enrolled in the pre-IB program, and wouldn't leave this school for anything. I am absolutely astounded by the quality of the school including fellow students and teachers. However, I would have to say that I do not recommend the standard program. Most of the school is focused on the pre-IB students. So if enrolled in the standard program, your child will learn, but not blossom as much as other schools. However, if your child is qualified for the pre-IB program than I more than welcome you to attend Milwee. Seeing my older brother transfer from Teaugue middle school to high school was a sad thing. He was qualified to attend the Pre-IB program at milwee, but decided upon Teague. He was not as prepared as would have been, but managed to somewhat succeed his first year as a freshmen. Milwee is a wonderful school that does dozens of classes and projects that could never be attended by any other school. Going to school is very fun, especially with the amazing teachers.

Posted November 7, 2013

My child has attended for 2 years now, and we've had no issues at all. The PTA is lacking a bit but the IB program my child is in is wonderful.

Posted October 9, 2013

i hate this school and wish i could take my son out..so much bullying and bad language... teachers seem to not care... if i could giive 0 stars.. i would

Posted June 17, 2013

Yes, there are fights. Yes there is a "ghetto" mentality, gangs, drugs and even sex in middle school. So why am I giving this school 4 stars? Because the Pre-IB program is pretty amazing. The teachers were among the best my child has ever had. The counselors care, too. The problems academically here are all common throughout the county -- not enough funding and too many "sunshine state" rules. The teachers, however, were amazing.

Posted May 25, 2013

I see after thirty plus years this school hasn't changed on we bit. Why hasn't the state come in and improved the school? This is 2013 not 1970

Posted January 27, 2013

Education: Bad, other schools are much more ahead. Bullying/Fights; A lot of fights and don't be surprised if you get bullied here Teachers: most are nice but some don't do their job well Electives: Ok. its fun to have band to get your mind off of schoolwork

Posted January 10, 2011

unfriendly, bullying, loud screaming children on buses, rude students, and many bystanders that do nothing

Posted November 22, 2010

I attend Milwee. I know you may be thinking that I am a child and I don't know anything, but, unlike any parent, I have more first-hand experience. I believe the standard program is a terrible learning environment, so if your kids aren't the brightest, they won't blossom. As for the pre-ib program, it's amazing! They have the best teachers money could buy! These classes challenge you and make you grow. Most everyone is positive and willing to help you out. As for the person below me, I doubt they even know what they are talking about. We barely have any fights, and the ones that do happen are taken care of by the wonderful deans. I don't think the principal is qualified though. She comes from a rich school with many assets. Milwee is a poorer school and she throws around money like its nothing. Did she really have to paint the lamp posts?... I think this school needs work, but it's a pretty good experience.

Posted October 21, 2010

I am not sure what the prior person experienced who stated they only cater to GIfted, I don't see that , My chiild Struggled with the Language arts , he was in Millwee for 6th grade and is now in Milwee for 7th grade. I stay in communication with the teachers and they correspond with me also we work as a team. My daughter was struggling in 5th grade and had a very hard time barely making C's, she is now attending Milwee in the 6th grade and she is flourishing, she is practicaly a straight A student. They are very strict against any violence wether in self defense or not they want the children to find non physical ways to resolve conflicts and while parents maynot agree, in todays society I dont think educators/parents can give a thumbs up to any violence kids dont use just fists anymore.

Posted January 6, 2010

This is the worst school I have ever sent my children to. I will me taking them out as soon as possible. These teachers have no clue on how to disipline a child~ no leadership skills and if your child isnt 'perfect' forget about sending your kids here. They ONLY cater to the gifted kids.

Posted April 29, 2009

This is a wonderful school, we come from Colombia and my son began on 6th grade without knowledge of the English language, and he received a excellent support by his teachers, now in 7th grade he is in advance level of ESOL program, and he is a PRE-IB student with a great grades. I think is the best place for my son study and preparer to his high school.

Posted March 7, 2009

5 Star school! Better than a private school.

Posted May 18, 2008

I attended milwee in the 6th grade, then moved to tampa, but i thoroughly enjoyed Milwee. Great teachers, great environmet, great school.

Posted January 15, 2008

I am a current student and love the JROTC. Pre-IB is a great program for any one who needs a challenge

Posted January 13, 2006

The gifted program has outstanding teachers who constantly exceed our expectations. We have had two of our children go through the program, and both have repeatedly stated that they were more than prepared for advanced placement classes at the high school. We are consistently amazed at the breadth and depth knowledge they have acquired in three years of middle school.

Posted May 21, 2005

Acedemic programs are stellar, extracurricular activities are available to encourage independent growth, teachers are fantastic, and parent involvement could improve.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 5, 2004

I am a student at Milwee Middle School. I have experienced a great deal of learning experiences, hands on activities, and have met some wonderful people. I am currently part of the gifted program and I cherish all my time spent there. The teachers which I have are so wonderful it's beyond words. I wouldn't transfer schools for anything. For me, Milwee has been perpetual bliss!

Posted April 14, 2004

I just moved from NY and I am very disappointed in the quality of education at this school. It is a few weeks away from the end of the school year and he is still being taught things that he learned months ago in NY. I went to Milwee the other day to a cultural day event that was being held. I was shocked at the total state of chaos on the school grounds. Most of the teachers seemed as if they did not care and did not want to be there. The kids were basically 'hanging out.' My son hardly gets any homework and he has a substitute teacher almost every day! I don't think I will keep him in this school. He is very bright and I don't want him to lose that. Worse case scenario, I will send him back to NY to live with his dad.

Posted January 31, 2004

Milwee is an outstanding school. The teachers are very dedicated and caring. They take great pride in each child's success.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

391 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

392 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

412 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

411 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

424 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

425 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

423 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

422 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

346 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

207 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

12 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (407) 746-3899

• Art teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options