Posted November 05, 2014
My experience is that this school has shown many examples of poor leadership, surprising unorganization with lackluster enthusiasm. There are some great teachers who stand out, but not nearly enough. Many of my child's teachers have no passion and are just dead lifeless robots. Too many teachers display a sense of dissatisfaction and unhappiness there. This school is not impressive, it gets a grade of a C - .

Posted June 10, 2013
Overall the majority of the teachers are great. They are very helpful and supportive towards kids, and they are respectful. There are always those few teachers though that should not be teachers. The administration, mostly the principle, is the main problem of the school. The students are no longer allowed to sit where they choose at lunch. They are required to file into the lunch room by class and are assigned seats. They then have to wait to be dismissed from the table to go buy their lunch. Throughout the lunch time they have to raise their hand to get up. Students are required to wear lanyards with their student ID's on it. Kids here are treated like elementary students who are given no freedom. In some areas even elementary students have more freedom then the middle schoolers at RLMS. I am very disappointed with the administration, and think there needs to be a change. The academic area is very high, and kids receive a good education. Their leadership program is very unsuccessful, and all they do is lecture students during their meetings, but nothing is ever really accomplished. I loved my 6th grade year, but once changes were made I hated my 7th and 8th grade years.

Posted February 29, 2012
Can you believe the rock won an award for a Bullying program, the Bullying continues everyday as if there was no program in place. The staff are sick of dealing with it. The kids are sick of being bullied! The school simply does know how to deal with all of these out of zone kids that do not fit in!. The students are NOT allowed to sit with there friends during lunch. The admin. is punishing the zoned students for the admin. errors!

Posted February 29, 2012
My daughter is finishing 8th grade, and althought we as parents have had no real problems with her teachers, we are sick of the school and the administrative dept., as well as many teachers, just turning their heads at bullying. Thankfully, our daughter has not had issues herselt until 8th graade.......the school can care less. Also, shame on you for bringing in a Christian group called Beta Club. The world is not all Chirstian and this is part of segregation. The rules instated by the school re: ID Badges (which do NOOOO good except for giving bullies the name of the person they want to bully) and assigned LUNCH seating. You are taking our kids and treating them like NO ONE and NOTHING. We, as a family cannot wait until she graduates. You administrative people and the principal have alot to work on.

Rock Lake Middle School 2

Posted December 06, 2011
Administration brought in a Christian based group called Beta Club under the idea that u must be a top notch student. The problem is, Administration is deceiving the students and parents and has NOT informed them that usually small back woods Christian schools are members and supporters. Shame on You!

Posted October 02, 2011
My son recently completed 3 years at Rock Lake and he is my second child to attend this school. It is not the school it once was. The principal and current administration are the primary reason for the decline. The principal rules through fear and favoritism. No longer is there an atmosphere of respect and fostering growth and positve encouragement - along with high academic achievement. Parents are not welcomed as Dividend volunteers and are treated with hostility. Sadly my son was not adequately prepared for high school due to the low expectations of the curriculm. Very dissappointing considering the experience my older child had before the current principal arrived.

Rock Lake Middle School 5

Posted July 03, 2011
My son just completed 6th grade at Rock Lake. The teachers were great and the administration was accessible and involved. My son is an IEP student and he received the extra attention that he needed to succeed. I highly recommend RLMS.

Posted April 21, 2011
I've been a student here for three years now. The administration is ignorant. The teachers are very rude to the kids and get away with it. The school really is all about popularity. The principal doesn't know what she's doing, and neither do 75% of the teachers. Rock Lake is very unfair with how they pick sides with students and never listen to the other side. They never do any investigation of any situations and automatically pick sides based on who they like more. Don't send your kids here.

Posted January 13, 2011
Very disappointed in this school, more specifically, since the new principal has taken the helm. My son spent the worst years of his life here, being bullied because of a disability. With the exception of a few of the gifted teachers, the faculty is clueless and the principal is running a popularity contest. When I was finally granted "an audiance" with the prinicpal, she told me that my son should "just ignore" being bullied. That, to me, speaks volumes. I am putting my 5th grader in a magnet program at different middle school next year.

Rock Lake Middle School 3

Posted May 22, 2010
I can agree with previous statements that there have been cuts. I'm extremely disappointed with the administration. Bullying is defiantly a concern. There is also favoritism with students. Teachers lack of experience with special needs children. The principal is one of the worst to deal with.

Rock Lake Middle School
250 Slade Drive, Longwood, FL  32750
Last modified Rock Lake Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rock Lake Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top