No rating

Sweetwater Episcopal Academy

Private | PK-6 | 200 students

SEA is best known for out outstanding academic programs and caring environment.

Living in Longwood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $182,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted May 1, 2014

SEA has been an amazing learning environment for my son. The teachers and curriculum are second to none. I love the faith based learning that takes place in the "Kind Zone." I wouldn't want him to be anywhere else!

Posted April 29, 2014

SEA is a wonderful school! The teachers and faculty truly love their jobs and our children! We LOVE the KIND Zone, weekly Manners Matter, chapel, Rainbow Awards, Chef Jessica & her healthy,yummy lunches, active PE program, excellent music & theater program, recess every day and all of the enrichment programs offered after school along with, most importantly, advanced academics. The list can go on. Coming from a public school, we can truly appreciate all that SEA has to offer. It's nice to be back in the loop of my child's education and know that when I send my child to school they are safe, happy and in good hands while receiving a first class education.

Posted April 22, 2014

When you first walk onto the campus at SEA, it feels like home and it doesn t stop there. The campus, teachers and staff are welcoming and warm. The education is advanced and SEA has a philosophy in teaching a child by doing, not just reading about it. A clear example of this is watching the Kindergarten class paint, while lying on their backs as they learned about Michelangelo and the Renaissance period. It is a very well rounded curriculum, advanced science, math and English. But they also reinforce good character with their outreach programs and the Kind Zone. They also have music, theater and physical education (including a mini-triathlon) which is removed from a lot of school. They also have a ton of after school enrichments that are children have flourished in. The teachers are advanced and have the right balance of being strict but nurturing. In the formative years of our children s life, we could not ask for a better school.

Posted April 17, 2014

My husband and I struggled with the decision of where we would send our children to elementary school since before we had children. Both having received, as we believe it, an outstanding education growing up we knew its importance. Once we were introduced to SEA, there was no choice in my mind to where we would send our children. Since that day, I have never looked back. We are so happy with our decision! Sweetwater is not just the teachers or the buildings but the loving atmosphere felt from all the administrators, students and families. It is just a feeling you get as you enter the campus. I know our son loves school. I know he has grown on an academic level that has reached my very high expectations. But most of all, I know he has gained very important life skills in character development and core values. Sweetwater Episcopal Academy has what it takes to produce well rounded individuals who have the values we want our children to posses in in today's difficult world. Our son has benefited form the caring instruction from Mrs. Parker and has grown through all the extracurricular activities. We truly love the KIND ZONE and all it embodies!

Posted March 24, 2014

Sweetwater Episcopal Academy has been a truly great experience for us. Public school was just not offering what my son needed - he was bored and frustrated, even in the gifted classroom. At SEA, he is academically challenged with in depth experiential learning that includes long projects, science experiments, and a stellar PE program that includes canoeing and swimming. The science, social studies and math curricula are excellent. He is offered a uniquely well balanced education with a variety of experiences, electives and after school enrichment that can't be beat. And to make it all the more special for him, the teachers and administrators go out of their way to ensure a true community feeling where how you treat someone else is just as important as how smart or talented you are. We honestly couldn't be happier and feel so grateful to have made the choice to enroll our son in SEA as we have watched him blossom and become a confident young man who is consistently challenged to be both a better student and a better person. SEA is worth every penny.

Posted March 23, 2014

As grandparents, we could not be more pleased with the progress of our grandson. He is in 2nd grade and has been at SEA for 4 years now. The academic curriculum is providing the educational results we were looking for, however we are witnessing him grow into a very kind, caring young man. We attend chapel with him every week and witness first hand the lesson on the "kind zone", "manors" and the "rainbow awards" are having on him. My observation is that the vast majority of the student body (older kids) are setting the example for him to follow. We are so thankful that he attends SEA, which we feel is the best private school in Orlando, Longwood area and are looking forward to a well adjusted, well educated young man.

Posted March 10, 2014

What takes place on our beautiful campus each and every day is beyond ordinary it is extraordinary. Our journey at Sweetwater Episcopal Academy has been a blessing to both my children and our family. The love of learning instilled each and every day by dedicated teachers and the SEA community who have become some of our closest friends. We have been given an extraordinary gift and our lives will be forever enriched by our time here at SEA.

Posted March 9, 2014

We love this school! The academics are excellent, the teachers are loving and well prepared. The campus is spacious and beautiful, and they have great enrichment programs. I also love the parental involvement at school, you can really see that everybody cares a lot about their children and want the best for them.

Posted February 28, 2014

Sweetwater Episcopal Academy is a wonderful school! We have been part of the SEA family for 4 years and each year we see the growth and development in our girls. It is a loving, nurturing and safe environment blessed with caring and dedicated teachers, staff and administration. The PreK at SEA is phenomenal, they set a high academic standard in a stimulating, fun environment. Your 4 year old does not think of it as work but fun. At SEA there are always ample opportunities for hands on exploration and learning. The kids are constantly exposed to art, music, movement and dramatic play. SEA helps build the "whole child" they foster academic excellence, character building, spiritual awareness and good citizenship. SEA values and encourages parent Involvement supported by an open door policy, it becomes an extension of your home. They helped to develop our girls joy of learning. We have two strong, confident and happy young ladies and SEA is an integral part of creating such a positive future.

Posted February 27, 2014

Sweetwater is a great school for our our children. We considered Park Maitland and Annunciation, but Sweetwater really stood out in two areas: academic programs and the spacious campus. The curriculum keeps our kids about one grade level ahead of the public schools, and the campus provides great spaces, including direct access to Lake Brantley for canoeing (which is part of PE for the older grades). Making the decision to send our kids to Sweetwater wasn't an easy one, but it was definitely the right one.

Posted October 23, 2013

I have two children who have been attending SEA for 3 years. The teachers are very capable academically, but what really sets them apart is their level of care for the students. They are extremely involved with the development of each child, and the kids love attending the school as a result. In addition, the parent involvement is extremely high and furthers the effectiveness of each child's education. My only complaint is that the school is only K-5 (although next year they will be adding 6th grade).

Posted September 27, 2013

My husband and I spent a great deal of time looking at private schools in the area. SEA was not one of them. I then met someone whose son had attend Sweetwater for two years and told me I "had" to check out this school, that she only wished she would have found it sooner. Well, we did....we went for a tour, even though I had decided on another school, and I am so happy we did. We feel in love with the campus, teachers and teaching style this school offers. My child loves school, she can't wait to learn and I thank the amazing teachers and environment that they create for that. I HIGHLY recommend you come and check out this school. You won't be disappointed!

Posted September 12, 2012

This is truly the hidden jewel of Central Florida Private Schools! I only wish it went all the way through 12th grade. I know my kids will be sad to leave.

Posted April 2, 2012

We tranferred our child here with high hopes. The campus is beautiful, the tour was impressive, and the teachers seemed too nice to be true. Once enrolled we've seen that many parents are very clicky. Although the staff swears it isn't true, many parents feels like the children from affluent families who donate to the school are treated better. Communication between teachers is not what it should be. You get bits and pieces from varies teachers, parents, and students that doesn't add up. Academically this school is not as advanced as my son's prior school (Starchild up the street) and I felt he was stifled academically. The school will tell you they teach a grade level above but I guess I'm just used to an even higher standard. Many parents are very happy with this school, but there definitely seems to be a double standard. You better make sure you are on the better side of the school or your child will suffer.

Posted January 31, 2011

SEA is a great school with top-notch academics and extensive parental involvement. When I was choosing a school for my son and daughter, I wanted one where I could be involved and my child would be challenged in a hands-on environment. I was so impressed when I toured, that I signed my son up for Pre-K, even though I was looking for kindergarten for the following year. The children and parents are nice and I know that my son who is now in 1st grade and my daughter who is in Pre-K will be prepared for wherever they go for middle school and high school because they have had caring teachers and an excellent foundation.

Posted November 17, 2010

I have three children. My oldest is a 7th grader at Trinity Prep and he attended Sweetwater from Pre-K - 5th grade. I believe he was fully prepared for the academics in middle school. My 4th grader is also at Sweetwater and started there in Pre-K as well. Both of my children have loved their time at SEA. They have been challenged academically and have formed great friendships. The teachers and staff at SEA really care about their students. Students are taught not only work hard and to the best of their ability, but they are encouraged to be kind to one another and respect the people around them. They are encouraged through school outreach programs to help others and perform community service. My youngest child when also be attending SEA when he is old enough. It is just a fabulous environment for elementary school

Posted November 12, 2010

SEA is a wonderful school! The academics are top notch -- if you check with the top middle schools, their best students are SEA grads. The curriculum is challenging. interesting, and an excellent foundation for later years. Just as important as the academics, however, is the environment SEA has created The children are nurtured, respected, and encouraged to stretch and grow. The teachers, administrators, and staff, all approach their jobs and the students with an incredibly positive energy and enthusiasm. . Students at SEA use technology - smart boards, flip cameras, power point presentations, but not at the expense of hands on learning or traditional reading and writing skills. There are also a wide variety of after school clubs for the children to participate in - sports, chess, music, cooking, art, and more. There is a great deal of parental involvement at SEA. Parents participate in field trips, as room parents, with festivals and fairs, and help in the library and the cafeteria. SEA really is a special place. You won't find a better elementary school in Central Florida,

Posted September 17, 2007

Fabulous school. Wonderful staff.

Posted June 26, 2007

Sweetwater is an excellent school with high academics and wonderful, caring teachers. It is a privilege for my children to attend this school. Stop by and look at the new building construction.

Posted April 16, 2007

Considering this is Central Florida, SEA is a good school. Majority of the parents are very involved except for a few who are just in the school for the prestige and socialization and not for the eduction of their kids. The teaching staffs are wonderful. Academically, the school need to cater more to the needs of advance students especially in math and sciences. Homeworks are too easy and I believe the school can make tremendous improvements on these subjects to better prepare advance kids who might be competing with 'non- floridians' later for admissions to colleges (Ivy leagues in particular).

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 8:20am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Janet Stroup - Head of School
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (407) 788-1714

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Cooking club
  • Dance club
  • Drama club
  • Game club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Step Up For Students, VPK

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Trininty Preparatory School