Public charter
Lutz, FL

Lutz Preparatory Academy 4

Posted April 15, 2015
I have 2 children at Lutz prep. My eldest has attended since the first year Lutz Prep opened its doors. To be honest, every year I have had issues with the school. For instance, my child not being challenged enough, or the principal that was never seen, and appeared uninvolved. I am happy to say this year I've seen a lot of improvements. Teachers are really open with communication on Edsby, grading is updated frequently, a lot more hands on science for 5th grade compared to years before. My child is being challenged more this year. Kids are held accountable for missing work or reading etc. BRAVO teachers! The principal is always involved & helping with carline & students. She makes announcements in the morning (last 2 principals had coaches do it). There is still a lot more growing and improvements for Lutz Prep. I personally would like see a new Chair on Board of Directors, to give opportunity for voices of the parents to be heard. Growth also has to come from parents too- let the teachers teach & be more involved with your child's learning instead of just sitting back & pointing fingers, & spoiling your child with "things." Be that bridge that connects to help academic growth.

Posted April 06, 2015
If you are considering this school, please stay away. This was once a wonderful school where our children did very well. They hired anew principal this year who is cold, no personality, I have heard her with my own ears speaking very negatively about both the students and her staff. I believe the word she used was "her minions" when referring to the teachers on staff. When I heard this, I did a little digging. At her prior school, she could not keep an assistant principal for more than year. They all left after a year because of her unprofessionalism and they did not want to be a part of some unsavory decisions she would make. Lutz Board, lets do some research and check some references before hiring the new principal. I understand this may be a possibility. If we get new leadership in there, I am confident quite a few of us will stay at this school.

Posted March 23, 2015
We had both our children enrolled at Lutz Preparatory since 2012- we finally pulled them out this year because we did not "fit in" with the supposed gifted-driven curriculum. After being chided for lack of monetary contributions to the school (yes, my husband and I have money, but it s at our discretion where we donate it), my kids exclusion from afterschool activities with classmates (because we did not fit in with the clique), and constant poor classroom leadership/instruction, we enrolled our kids in the local Hillsborough public school. Imagine my surprise, disgust, and stress when our kids, specifically our oldest that has FSA testing this spring, were very far behind, to the point they may need to be retained. Not once did an LP teacher, administrator, or anyone else conference with us about this, yet my child received "A's and B's". So disappointed...

Posted March 21, 2015
Shame on you! What does it say about a school when a first year family and a volunteer who has given nearly 300 hours per year is faced with only one choice? To leave the school because the administration could not act to hold a teacher accountable for her job performance. 2 families departed LP last week. And instead of trying to find out how the issues could be fixed, the administration could only say "leave, we have a long waitlist". Wake up LP BoD!! Your school is falling apart because you hired a Principal with zero people skills. Soon noone will want to be on your famous "waitlist"

Posted March 06, 2015
It is exciting to see the positive school culture that is growing here at Lutz Prep. Walking through the halls, it was wonderful to see how the students were creating posters of encouragement for the 4th grade and higher classrooms. Seeing the students and teachers all in their tie-dye shirts for testing really set a tone of unity and togetherness. This positive learning environment really makes Lutz Prep special!

Posted February 21, 2015
These swings in ratings for LP are disconcerting ... from 1 start to 5 starts! Let me tell those parents who complain about LP: I had my children attending some of those well regarded private schools one excellent the other one, at least on paper, as excellent as well. The latter was a nightmare. My child was bullied, underachieving, and the establishment did not care! At LP the Teachers and the Staff DO CARE! I have a HAPPY child who loves LP. I have a terrific kid in all subjects! It shows in the way he speaks and behaves (and on those state exams as well). Friends and relatives praise his intellect, personality, and manners! Not all of it is thanks to LP but a BIG % is! Viva LP!!!

Posted February 20, 2015
A parent recently made a good point that the anonymity of this site provides an easy platform for those who want to state negative comments full of untruths. I m disheartened because these untruths cast a shadow on one of the best schools I've ever had the pleasure of working at in over 15 years in my field. Every single day I see the lessons and rigor taking place in the classrooms, witness the joys of student learning and accomplishments, and most of all see kids progressing! The students are the BEST ones to ask! Observe the student who beams with a smile as they are greeted by name from the ESE Specialist, Coach, or Director walking in from the car loop at arrival. Or what about the student who told their parent that this is the first time that while challenging, they understand slope in 7th grade math because of how teachers are engaging her in an activity where she makes the connection. Ask the 3rd grade students who placed in their respective categories at the STEM Fair competition in Hillsborough County. Teachers ARE teaching and these and many more other examples are alive at Lutz Prep!

Posted January 28, 2015
I have three kids that have been attending Lutz Prep for three years now. This is a school where kids are challenged (all three of my children were in AGP in the county schools), and loved. They are encouraged to participate in the sports programs and the sports grounds are like no other middle school around. Parents are welcomed and informed. I choose to send my kids here, and know they are safe, loved, challenged, disciplined when needed and encouraged to always do their best. The teachers care about these kids. I feel blessed to be a part of this school and community of families. Lutz Prep is a perfect school for my family and I would recommend it to others with elementary and middle school age kids.

Lutz Preparatory Academy 2

Posted January 27, 2015
One of the reviewers asked why we don't attend board meetings. We do. However, in order to avoid retaliation--we don't dare raise a stink--you can't have any gripes. The BoD doesn't care. The 5th graders are not going to Busch Gardens because Guertin says it's not educational. Physics. Zoology. Engineering. Really? Plus, the whole point of the field trip is to allow the kids to let loose and have fun. It's a 5th grade rite of passage. A friend whose son plays basketball with BDHS came to LP for a game and was disgusted at how dirty the property was--gym and the school grounds. Others agreed--some were parents of former students. BoD wants $250 for a brick? Our 5th graders would like their well-deserved field trip. Stop the reading logs. Trust us, our children read! Stop sending packets of homework home over winter break. Stop the nepotism (the substitute who is always on his phone). Focus on the whole student--not just academics. Yes, it's a choice school, but it's the lesser of two evils. The BoD reads these reviews. They know what needs to be done. Take note: ask the parents what you can do for them; not what the parents can do for you. And let the teachers teach!

Posted January 06, 2015
I am a parent at Lutz Prep and I am completely taken aback by the egregious accusations and postings on the site by individuals who are electing to send their children to the school. It is your choice to send your child to LP. if you are unhappy, please remove your child from the school and provide an opportunity for someone on the 1,000 plus waiting list that wants their child to attend. In many of these posting there are a lot of general complaints, the school leaders are acting unethically, there is no accountability for money and how it is spent, the staff are incompetent, shut the school down, etc. Why don t you quit hiding behind the anonymity of this site and bring your concerns to the BOD, Administration or SDHC. Don t be general, actually come out and site factual specific examples, supporting your very general complaints. Be an agent of change - come up with ways the school can make things better. Do something productive with your negativity.

Lutz Preparatory Academy
17951 Highway 41, Lutz, FL  33549
Last modified Lutz Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lutz Preparatory Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top