Learning Gate Community School

Charter | K-8 | 801 students

Posted September 18, 2014

Learning Gate is truly a unique and wonderful place! Kids get to be kids, explore nature, appreciate the outdoors, get dirty, and have fun! Both of my kids look forward to school every day. I am very appreciative of the fact that Learning Gate is not obsessed with FCAT testing and other standardized tests. The kids do take the tests, but the teachers don't stress the kids out over them. My daughter got a perfect score on her FCAT reading test, without all the ridiculous obsessive preparation they do in traditional public schools. Some of our favorite things the kids get to do include growing and tasting fruits and vegetables in the huge garden, bird banding, and community service projects. The school also has a great gifted program! The princi al is very personable and always has her door open for parents! We are so happy to be a part of the Learning Gate family!

Posted June 23, 2014

Principal at this school is tremendous if there Are any issues with your child. We found that teachers were hit or miss however. Very nice but some not very prepared or as strong as others from a curriculum perspective. Our kids began the year a little ahead of age requirements and are ending the year a little behind.

Posted October 11, 2013

This is our first year and so far we are very happy! wish we had known sooner.

Posted September 27, 2013

This is my 5th year with LG. I continue to love the atmosphere and environmental setting of the school. I like the innovative ways the school works to save money (no trash lunch program) and help the students and families become more "green" in and out of the school. I enjoy the level on communication school wide and personally with my teachers. They are always willing to answer to any concern and work with me. I waited two years for this school and have been involved for the last five years, it was worth the wait.

Posted September 21, 2013

Beautiful Campus! Great Teachers! Awesome Environmental Theme.I wouldn't have my boys anywhere else. This school is not for everyone and that is what I love about it. It feels like it was created for my kids! Love that they use facebook, I feel we are much more connected now. This year has started off great for my boys!

Posted September 19, 2013

Learning Gate is a Special Place! As a long time parent I have seen the ups & downs. I definitely see this new principal as a positive and much needed addition to our school! The previous administrator was out of site & out of touch, ruling with a reign of intimidation. With the growth of the school some things have changed, but I still see more positives than negatives. My children still receive a quality education and get the many outdoor learning experiences that drew us to the school. The new changes to aftercare are also very exciting, more structure and guided play is making for a better environment for my kids, they say it is in their words "way better!" We are excited to see what transpires this year. My children are excited to go to school everyday & come home with that same enthusiasm. We have been very blessed to find such a great place for our kids to learn!

Posted September 18, 2013

This is our fourth year at Learning Gate and I can confidently say things are changing...and not necessarily for the better. I'm definitely not impressed with the leadership of the school or the administration. School communication is marginal at best. That special feel on the campus has disappeared and there's a overwhelming air of concern for the future of Learning Gate Community School. For the most part, teachers are great although, there are a handful of instructors who really should consider another career path. I'm really having to reevaluate going forward with this school. It's sad, in its hay day this school was special.

Posted August 11, 2013

Learning Gate Community School has the most fantastic, creative teachers I have come across. My children have been blessed with teachers who don't have a "job" they have a calling. Children are taught more than the basic curriculum, they are taught about the environment, gardening, physical education and social skills. They learn how to care for themselves and nature and they learn about helping others through various community service projects. When your child attends Learning Gate, your family become part of the Learning Gate family. The volunteer hours allow you to get to know the teachers, parents and other children at the school, as do the yearly events. Each year Learning Gate sponsors a Festival Under the Stars, Ecofest, Casino Night, and several other events, which provides additional opportunities to get to know other families. This year a PTSA was started as well. This is a school that I would highly recommend to anyone wanting a well rounded education from exceptional teachers.

Posted June 27, 2013

Our children have gone here for the last 6 years.I really liked it for my one son but not the other. It depends on your child and I think they have made a lot of improvements on children being taught to accept other children in their group then they did in 2007. All in All the school I think is excellent. The no trash rule is a little annoying...ok very annoying, how is this teaching children to recycle when they are taught that they can't use a trash can? but I love how the school brings the parents and kids together. I have had a great experience with my younger child going here for the last 6 years and he has made lots of friends. The new principle is very nice and has went out of her way to help some of the students. As for my older child, he just never got accepted in any click and didn't have a wonderful experience. The teachers are great at Learning Gate, however the Gates (middle and High) brought in some new teachers that I think they should have been a little more picky on choosing the right ones for this school. The principle over there is great too and easy to approach. If your looking for a change in schools this is the place to choose. I will miss it afterwards.

Posted May 27, 2013

We are finishing our 2nd year at Learning Gate after leaving a traditional public school. So far we just love the teachers and experience in general. I have one over achiever and one with A.D.D. Both of my kids just love the school and are doing exceptionally well. They both love the amount of time they spend outside during the day. The campus is beautiful. Most of the land is in it's natural state and the school uses the grounds as an opportunity to teach. In addition to academics, the school has an environmental theme. My children are learning all about recycling and composting. They collect rain water and grow gardens. Learning is very hands-on. They are planning to build a high school a couple miles away from the current campus. I noticed the comment about the principle being unapproachable, we have had the exact opposite experience. Usually when I go on campus she is in the office area and is always very friendly. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else!

Posted April 13, 2013

My parents put me in this school for daycare before I was even a year old and I attended until 8th grade. Overall I had a mixed experience here, the elementary and pre-school were great in my opinion but once you hit middle school things start going downhill. After 5th grade we no longer got any physical education, the administration started to make promises that were never fulfilled, and their 'project based learning' is just a big waste of time that the students used to finish homework they didn't do and play on the computer rather than making actual projects. Among other things they have terrible planning skills when it comes to expanding and I had to spend an entire year with class in the cafeteria because they had nowhere else to put us. I spent 14 years at this school and they didn't even give the 8th graders a proper graduation because they're opening their own high school which is also poorly planned out as far as space goes.The lack of loyalty they show is extremely saddening. If I were to do it all again I don't think I'd stick around for middle school.

Posted March 25, 2013

I have 2 children at LG, and it's a mixed bag. As previous reviewers have said, not every school is ideal for every child. The school doesn't emphasize academics, and my gifted children are generally bored from an academic standpoint. We've also encountered problems with bullying, and the current principal is either unwilling or unable to put a stop to it. She is generally unapproachable and uninterested in receiving any parental input. The administration disbanded the parent association two years ago, which says a lot. None of my children's teachers have done much to differentiate instruction for the varying academic needs of their students, but I've heard that there are teachers who do so. Our personal experience has been that the school caters largely to students with special needs (behavioral issues, ADD, etc.) at the expense of the other students. LG offers no foreign language, no music, and no art until 4th grade. PE is 2x/week, and garden and environmental education are 1x/week. The campus is amazing, and most teachers genuinely care about their students. I like that the school is small, but wish that academics were a higher priority. Pls do your homework before you come!

Posted March 19, 2013

After several years in Pasco public schools, my kids were lucky enough to be accepted into Learning Gate and Gates. My kids went from seeing school as an obligatory chore to looking forward to what exciting lesson they will experience each day. I love that my kids are learning more than reading and writing here and that are becoming responsible stewards of their environment. The transformation in just 2 years has been amazing to watch and I am so excited about the interesting and wonderful people my kids are becoming with the nurturing and positive influence from Learning Gate and Gates. We feel blessed to be a part of this school community.

Posted March 10, 2013

Way over rated and not parent friendly. Not very sure how much of a quality education my child got as the teacher was fresh out of college and did not seem to have a clue as to how to explain material. If you are just looking to segregate your child in a non diverse and homogeneous environment, then this is for you. Be prepared to pay an extra price for this "public" school.

Posted February 10, 2013

Our son attends Learning Gate since 2nd Grades. This school is great fit for him who loves nature and wants to be a marine biologist. When it comes to education, one shoe does not fit all. This school is not regular public school or private school. Learning Gate's achievements as a school speaks a lot, but unfortunately all publicity and recognitions make parents want to send theirs children without doing homework - do your research, understand what kind of learning fits your child. I am sad to see negative comments on this site, most of them are caused by lacking of parent's research. One of the comment especially caught my eyes : "I graduated this year and am glad to be leaving after 9 yrs". What were her parents thinking? Sending her to the school she does not like for 9 yrs when other options were available? WHY??? If you are looking for a school your child thrive, you need to do homework. Children do not lean or thrive if learning is not fun. Do not expect the school does what you wish for. Involvement of parents makes difference no matter which school your child attends.

Posted February 9, 2013

My son attended this school for years until we moved. My daughter also attened for a time. Most of the teachers are very good, but there are some that could use some people skills. The homework is minimal in elementary, which I appreciated. The kids loved school. That is my reason for 5 starts more than anything...they get the kids to love learning (which should be a goal of every school). Volunteer hours are required so parents are involved, but I think many would be anyway. It is a good environment for the most part..."good" influences on my children. Aftercare is not good (only 2 stars for it). Unless you have to, do not put your kids in LG aftercare program. The kids are mostly on their own with little structure and passive supervision. The office staff is also not helpful, and parents have this is common (and chat about it frequently). Even with borderline emergency situations, the staff is not helpful. That said, I would enroll my kids there again in a heartbeat because they learn an adequate amount (I have gifted kids and they do get bored because they aren't always challenged) -- but they LOVE it there.

Posted November 11, 2012

this school is bad the teachers are bad and also to much work for a high schooler

Posted November 6, 2012

Don't believe all the hype. My children have attended Learning Gate and Gates for the past several years. The school is more concerned about being "Green" and receiving accolades than anything else. They even make the children bring home their garbage in their lunchbox. No trash cans for students but, yes for teachers. They have no gym and no sports (neither does Gates). They wait for donations to buy necessary materials but, have no problem spending the money elsewhere like a "Green" building. All of the older comments about the principal are correct. However, the new principal is much better. The downside is that the old principal (and founder) still advises and has a say in everything. She is the most unfriendly, rude and ungrateful person. Pressure is put on parents and children to donate to their annual giving campaign. A high number of parenting hours are required. Bullying is out of hand. It's not at all what their loyal followers say.

Posted October 28, 2012

This is our 2nd year at L.G. My children just love the entire school experience. I love how much time they spend outside and engaged in hands-on learning. The Principle is very personable and really seems to listen to parental input. I highly recommend L.G. to anyone looking for a better learning environment.

Posted October 25, 2012

EVERYTHING kids need for a well-rounded, thoughtful, and holistic foundation. Including incomprehensible amounts of parent-involvement compared to 99% of public, private, & other charte schools) WOW

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

40 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Top 50 combination schools in state (2006)
  • 5th year as an A rated school (2007)
  • First LEED platinum rated school in the country (2007)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:20
School end time
  • 3:35
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Audiovisual aids
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parental involvement is mandatory.
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor