Public charter
Lutz, FL
Before care: Yes

Posted September 18, 2014
Learning Gate is truly a unique and wonderful place! Kids get to be kids, explore nature, appreciate the outdoors, get dirty, and have fun! Both of my kids look forward to school every day. I am very appreciative of the fact that Learning Gate is not obsessed with FCAT testing and other standardized tests. The kids do take the tests, but the teachers don't stress the kids out over them. My daughter got a perfect score on her FCAT reading test, without all the ridiculous obsessive preparation they do in traditional public schools. Some of our favorite things the kids get to do include growing and tasting fruits and vegetables in the huge garden, bird banding, and community service projects. The school also has a great gifted program! The princi al is very personable and always has her door open for parents! We are so happy to be a part of the Learning Gate family!

Learning Gate Community School 3

Posted June 23, 2014
Principal at this school is tremendous if there Are any issues with your child. We found that teachers were hit or miss however. Very nice but some not very prepared or as strong as others from a curriculum perspective. Our kids began the year a little ahead of age requirements and are ending the year a little behind.

Posted October 11, 2013
This is our first year and so far we are very happy! wish we had known sooner.

Posted September 27, 2013
This is my 5th year with LG. I continue to love the atmosphere and environmental setting of the school. I like the innovative ways the school works to save money (no trash lunch program) and help the students and families become more "green" in and out of the school. I enjoy the level on communication school wide and personally with my teachers. They are always willing to answer to any concern and work with me. I waited two years for this school and have been involved for the last five years, it was worth the wait.

Posted September 21, 2013
Beautiful Campus! Great Teachers! Awesome Environmental Theme.I wouldn't have my boys anywhere else. This school is not for everyone and that is what I love about it. It feels like it was created for my kids! Love that they use facebook, I feel we are much more connected now. This year has started off great for my boys!

Posted September 19, 2013
Learning Gate is a Special Place! As a long time parent I have seen the ups & downs. I definitely see this new principal as a positive and much needed addition to our school! The previous administrator was out of site & out of touch, ruling with a reign of intimidation. With the growth of the school some things have changed, but I still see more positives than negatives. My children still receive a quality education and get the many outdoor learning experiences that drew us to the school. The new changes to aftercare are also very exciting, more structure and guided play is making for a better environment for my kids, they say it is in their words "way better!" We are excited to see what transpires this year. My children are excited to go to school everyday & come home with that same enthusiasm. We have been very blessed to find such a great place for our kids to learn!

Learning Gate Community School 1

Posted September 18, 2013
This is our fourth year at Learning Gate and I can confidently say things are changing...and not necessarily for the better. I'm definitely not impressed with the leadership of the school or the administration. School communication is marginal at best. That special feel on the campus has disappeared and there's a overwhelming air of concern for the future of Learning Gate Community School. For the most part, teachers are great although, there are a handful of instructors who really should consider another career path. I'm really having to reevaluate going forward with this school. It's sad, in its hay day this school was special.

Posted August 11, 2013
Learning Gate Community School has the most fantastic, creative teachers I have come across. My children have been blessed with teachers who don't have a "job" they have a calling. Children are taught more than the basic curriculum, they are taught about the environment, gardening, physical education and social skills. They learn how to care for themselves and nature and they learn about helping others through various community service projects. When your child attends Learning Gate, your family become part of the Learning Gate family. The volunteer hours allow you to get to know the teachers, parents and other children at the school, as do the yearly events. Each year Learning Gate sponsors a Festival Under the Stars, Ecofest, Casino Night, and several other events, which provides additional opportunities to get to know other families. This year a PTSA was started as well. This is a school that I would highly recommend to anyone wanting a well rounded education from exceptional teachers.

Posted June 27, 2013
Our children have gone here for the last 6 years.I really liked it for my one son but not the other. It depends on your child and I think they have made a lot of improvements on children being taught to accept other children in their group then they did in 2007. All in All the school I think is excellent. The no trash rule is a little annoying...ok very annoying, how is this teaching children to recycle when they are taught that they can't use a trash can? but I love how the school brings the parents and kids together. I have had a great experience with my younger child going here for the last 6 years and he has made lots of friends. The new principle is very nice and has went out of her way to help some of the students. As for my older child, he just never got accepted in any click and didn't have a wonderful experience. The teachers are great at Learning Gate, however the Gates (middle and High) brought in some new teachers that I think they should have been a little more picky on choosing the right ones for this school. The principle over there is great too and easy to approach. If your looking for a change in schools this is the place to choose. I will miss it afterwards.

Posted May 27, 2013
We are finishing our 2nd year at Learning Gate after leaving a traditional public school. So far we just love the teachers and experience in general. I have one over achiever and one with A.D.D. Both of my kids just love the school and are doing exceptionally well. They both love the amount of time they spend outside during the day. The campus is beautiful. Most of the land is in it's natural state and the school uses the grounds as an opportunity to teach. In addition to academics, the school has an environmental theme. My children are learning all about recycling and composting. They collect rain water and grow gardens. Learning is very hands-on. They are planning to build a high school a couple miles away from the current campus. I noticed the comment about the principle being unapproachable, we have had the exact opposite experience. Usually when I go on campus she is in the office area and is always very friendly. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else!

Learning Gate Community School
16215 Hanna Road, Lutz, FL  33549
Last modified Learning Gate Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Learning Gate Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 195 reviews. Top