767 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Learning Gate Community School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 02, 2016
Most of the teachers are exceptional! They are amazing. They are happy to meet with you and discuss concerns, offer assistance and suggestions. They go above and beyond for the kids. It is a climate conducive to learning.

Learning Gate Community School 4

Posted January 02, 2016
My children have been going to this school since Kindergarten and we love the school overall. The teachers really care about the kids and the atmosphere is very positive. As with all schools, some teachers click better than others, but overall, the teachers here work hard to give the kids a great education. My only real concern with this school is the gifted program. This program has had many changes over the years with teacher turnover. In the past, the gifted program focused on technology, then an additional teacher was added who left midyear. The focus was technology (with various technical issues) and switched to geography with a new teacher midyear. A different new teacher (along with one who stayed) this year and the focus has now become science. The problem is that the science has taken the place of their regular science class. I am not alone in having concerns about the effectiveness of this as a replacement to their regular well-run 5th grade science class.

Posted May 31, 2015
We are just finishing our first year of kindergarten at Learning Gate and have been beyond thrilled with the school overall. The school goes far beyond the typical work book curriculum. They bring the children to the gardens, where they grow fruits and vegetables, care for the chickens and learn about sustainability. They explore the woods on hikes to search for bugs and animals, measure trees and band birds. I think they are adjusting well to the curriculum requirements and changes, my daughter testing well above the Hillsborough county average. Her teacher did a good job with breakout reading groups and identifying specific student levels. She would appropriately challenge her with areas she could improve upon in math. Science is hand down the schools super strength, she recites planets, animal classes, and environmental facts not just the knowledge but with a true understanding. Her class started the year growing tadpoles and I've watched them release butterflies they raised from caterpillars they found outside. The campus is a beautiful place to be and an experience you must feel for yourself. Classes feel like small families, you get to know every child and most of the parents very well. I always say go with your gut when making the difficult decision of choosing the right school. This school isn't for everyone but it is perfect for our family and both of our girls! Looking forward to having one start first grade and the other kindergarten next year. Some of their after school clubs include: swimming, yoga, glee, Magic Tree house book club etc. Our field trips this year were gym/play place, beach (and Seabird Sanctuary), the Lowry Park Zoo and Lettuce Park.

Posted September 18, 2014
Learning Gate is truly a unique and wonderful place! Kids get to be kids, explore nature, appreciate the outdoors, get dirty, and have fun! Both of my kids look forward to school every day. I am very appreciative of the fact that Learning Gate is not obsessed with FCAT testing and other standardized tests. The kids do take the tests, but the teachers don't stress the kids out over them. My daughter got a perfect score on her FCAT reading test, without all the ridiculous obsessive preparation they do in traditional public schools. Some of our favorite things the kids get to do include growing and tasting fruits and vegetables in the huge garden, bird banding, and community service projects. The school also has a great gifted program! The princi al is very personable and always has her door open for parents! We are so happy to be a part of the Learning Gate family!

Learning Gate Community School 3

Posted June 23, 2014
Principal at this school is tremendous if there Are any issues with your child. We found that teachers were hit or miss however. Very nice but some not very prepared or as strong as others from a curriculum perspective. Our kids began the year a little ahead of age requirements and are ending the year a little behind.

Posted October 11, 2013
This is our first year and so far we are very happy! wish we had known sooner.

Posted September 27, 2013
This is my 5th year with LG. I continue to love the atmosphere and environmental setting of the school. I like the innovative ways the school works to save money (no trash lunch program) and help the students and families become more "green" in and out of the school. I enjoy the level on communication school wide and personally with my teachers. They are always willing to answer to any concern and work with me. I waited two years for this school and have been involved for the last five years, it was worth the wait.

Posted September 21, 2013
Beautiful Campus! Great Teachers! Awesome Environmental Theme.I wouldn't have my boys anywhere else. This school is not for everyone and that is what I love about it. It feels like it was created for my kids! Love that they use facebook, I feel we are much more connected now. This year has started off great for my boys!

Posted September 19, 2013
Learning Gate is a Special Place! As a long time parent I have seen the ups & downs. I definitely see this new principal as a positive and much needed addition to our school! The previous administrator was out of site & out of touch, ruling with a reign of intimidation. With the growth of the school some things have changed, but I still see more positives than negatives. My children still receive a quality education and get the many outdoor learning experiences that drew us to the school. The new changes to aftercare are also very exciting, more structure and guided play is making for a better environment for my kids, they say it is in their words "way better!" We are excited to see what transpires this year. My children are excited to go to school everyday & come home with that same enthusiasm. We have been very blessed to find such a great place for our kids to learn!

Learning Gate Community School 1

Posted September 18, 2013
This is our fourth year at Learning Gate and I can confidently say things are changing...and not necessarily for the better. I'm definitely not impressed with the leadership of the school or the administration. School communication is marginal at best. That special feel on the campus has disappeared and there's a overwhelming air of concern for the future of Learning Gate Community School. For the most part, teachers are great although, there are a handful of instructors who really should consider another career path. I'm really having to reevaluate going forward with this school. It's sad, in its hay day this school was special.

Learning Gate Community School
16215 Hanna Road, Lutz, FL  33549
Last modified Learning Gate Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Learning Gate Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 208 reviews. Top