Lutz, FL
Students enrolled: 1,061

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 23, 2015
The teachers act like your child is a number. They assume that your kid is lazy or irresponsible. Homework gets lost because grades are not entered in a timely manner, and the child gets a zero even if they did the assignment. I recommend having your childs teacher initial a sheet stating the received the homework, putting the responsibility where it belongs.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 23, 2015
Science project: my son worked tirelessly on his project. He followed all the rules. Then you see a child who barely put in any effort at all who also got an A. It makes the hard working child feel there is no point in putting in their best effort if everyone gets an A.

Martinez Middle School 1

Posted July 23, 2015
This school is ridiculous. There is a science project every nine weeks. The projects take the full nine weeks, so by the time you finish one, its time for a new one. They don't allow the children to do biological studies for science fair, no animal behavior or fungi. Its very limiting for a child who loves science and biology and forces them to do a project they are not interested in. The teachers do enter grades into edsby in a timely manner. So you child does their homework. Turns it in and it gets lost. You only find out your child is missing said assignment until the teacher actually enters the grade nearly 4 weeks later. The child cant remember the assignment let alone where it might be. This caused my son to earn a B in reading, the only B he has ever gotten in his life, because the assignment could not be found or replaced in time, because his teacher waited until the week before the grading period ended to put in grades. The teachers are completely hands off. They are not invested in your child. They collect a paycheck and that's it. They assign several hours of homework (thanks to common core) every single night-don't forget you still have that science project to do! No time for extracurricular activities, no fun. My kid was so stress I removed him an put him in a charter school instead. Stay away from this school. They care nothing about your kid. The principal is a mindless zombie, he doesn't support the kids or the parents. He doesn't get involved.

Martinez Middle School 5

Posted April 29, 2015
The best school I've ever went too and it has a nice principle and good teachers

Martinez Middle School 2

Posted April 07, 2015
Not so happy. When we moved to town we were told this is a high rated school. Maybe because when students are surveyed if the teacher doesn't like what the kids have said, the kids are made to change their answers or the survey is destroyed!!! This happened to my son two years in a row at this school.

Posted January 08, 2015
My son graduated here with Straight A and presidential award. As military we used to stationed in Germany where he attended from 2nd grade to 7th grade and he never got to the Straight A (only honor student). So, I'm questioning the over all Stateside schools. compare to the German schools, US schools are way behind. They are more concentrated in entertainment like sports and band.. where other countries have more in academics.. I'm sure my son (now playing in a band) won't be needing to play clarinet to apply for jobs later.

Martinez Middle School 2

Posted April 17, 2014
Martinez Middle School seems to focus to much time on FCAT instead of teaching students about life skills. The teachers seem to hand out good grades even when the students don't earn them. My student isn't handing work in on time, sometimes weeks late and still earns full credit, do they want to set the students up for failure, or do they want to teach them a sense of entitlement because that is what they are doing, there are no consequences for their actions. Is it because teachers now get paid on how the children do in school if that's the case, the next generation will consist of a bunch of adults that will think they don't have to do their part and expect to get paid for it. Some of the teachers reply to emails quickly others don't reply for weeks.

Posted December 17, 2013
Good school socially for sure - this is not my son's first year year there and in our conversations he says he hasn't witnessed any bullying thus far, nor has he heard anyone with drugs or talking about them. With all the craziness out there, that alone would make me happy. It's in a fairly affluent area so you have many involved parents and the upkeep of the school (cleanliness, etc.) is great. The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is that I don't believe the academics are that challenging. My son is in the most advanced classes possible and it still requires very little effort for him. Math, in particular, is a bit of a weakness. The elementary school next door is known for winning or placing at all the county-wide math competitions and yet Martinez does not do well at all. When taking Algebra 1 Honors as a 7th grader he said it was "all lecture all the time"....it actually lessened his interest and enjoyment of math. Overall I really like the school but I think there is an opportunity to improve the academics.

Posted May 06, 2013
I signed up to get information on the different middle schools. I will be purchasing a house and I thought this would help me make the correct decision on what area I should purchase my home. I only entered this rating because it wouldn't let continue without filling that out.

Martinez Middle School 5

Posted April 14, 2012
Martinez is a very good school. The bullying here is almost non-existent and MOST everyone is nice to everyone else. The amount of potheads and thieves here are about 1/90th of those of other schools! Most of the teachers are great and very experienced! They know all of the tips and tricks on how to teach the teenagers. The school is pretty strict and has uniforms. Teachers care a great deal about their kids, (i WOULD KNOW) and if they see a distraction, they alert the guidance counselor and change your schedule. Teachers are open and ready for conferences and don't give too much homework overall. Martinez has a very structured curriculum that's challenging to the kids. By 8th grade, about 1/2 the students are taking AP courses! It's been rated an "A" school several years in a row and I don't expect anything less from them. If you want a safe, fun, and challenging learning experience for your kids, Martinez is some of the best they have to offer.

5601 West Lutz Lake Fern Road, Lutz, FL  33558
Last modified Martinez Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martinez Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top