1,133 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

When reading the recent reviews for this school and having had two children educated there it is very easy to determine that the bad reviews were written by the same parent. From my experience at this school, when an overbearing or overprotective parent feels their child is being singled out or not being treated fairly, the parent makes a huge stink, demands to meet with administration and if they aren't able to strong arm the administration to get their way the parent then lashes out in some public forum. I have witnessed bad parental behavior first hand while in the office picking up my child for an appointment. My advice to parents who have issues with their child's teacher: 1. make sure you have an Edsby parent account so that you can stay involved in your child's education. 2. Talk to your child's teacher. They really DO have your child's best interest at heart. 3. Hold your child accountable! Your child has to WANT to take an active role in their own education. We, as parents are responsible helping to instill this behavior in our children. Don't expect the teachers to both educate AND raise your children. 4. Volunteer and participate at the school. Not just through PTSA. Ask your child's teacher what you can do to help his/her classroom. I have volunteered to come to school to help on science lab days, just to be another adult in the room to assist the teacher and students and the teachers were overjoyed and very appreciative. 5. Follow the issue protocol-- talk to teacher first, if issue is not resolved, talk to your child's guidance counselor (they can be very helpful too and can often refer you to outside resources that you can use to help your child like tutors, self-study websites, virtual classes, social and psychological services.) and if your issue is still not resolved or if you feel your concerns still have not been addressed, schedule an appointment with an administrator. And lastly, please behave like an adult; Remember, you ARE a role model for your child. -Satisfied Parent of 2 Martinez "graduates" (BTW...one of my children was recognized as a National Merit Scholar so clearly he got exactly what he needed from Martinez Middle School.)

Develops character: Disagree

The "clickiness" is supported... Most of these kids have been together since birth - - very proud of their money and belongings - - and so in that sense "we're so awesome" these subjects are taught... but it doesn't seem to get through to the heart. It's not ugly as in super violent and druggy - -but ugly in possibly a more vicious way.

As a military family we have seen many schools! I have no complaints about the education or programs - - some (music, specifically) are exceptional!! My struggle with this complex (Martinez & Steinbrenner) is the "clickiness" of the kids. It's the worst we've witnessed in 16 schools total (between my three kids). Beware, if you're choosing this town for the exceptional schools!! The doors to friendship are hard to open.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school does not develop honesty, integrity, or fairness in its students; Staff members and teachers here are very hypocritical and stereotypical.

I am (unfortunately) a student at this school, and, throughout the years I have been here, have noticed countless problems with not only the staff members and teachers, but with the school itself. Just to give you an idea of what being a "student" (or should I say "prisoner") of this school is like, these are among the things I have experienced here: - In the cafeteria, there is always a staff member yelling at you to "sit down" and "stop wandering around", even though she, along with other staff members, loiter around the cafeteria for the entire lunch period, when there are chairs specifically put in the front of the cafeteria for them to sit in. - Numerous times whilst outside, I have smelled cigarette smoke. (Note: this did not come from any of the students.) - In 2013, MMS had a fundraiser, and told parents and students that its proceeds would be used to build a covered walkway for the school. Two years later, this has still not been built. - On a testing day, I had been absent for the 2 previous days, and my homeroom teacher had failed to mention the time and place I had to take my exam. - On a testing week, my HR teacher had given us the wrong schedule for the day, so I had to ask the principal which class we had to go to next; he didn't know, and had to ask a student for this information. - The lock was broken on the "handicapped" bathroom door, and was never fixed. I would definitely NOT RECOMMEND enrolling your child at MMS!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Science project: my son worked tirelessly on his project. He followed all the rules. Then you see a child who barely put in any effort at all who also got an A. It makes the hard working child feel there is no point in putting in their best effort if everyone gets an A.

This school is ridiculous. There is a science project every nine weeks. The projects take the full nine weeks, so by the time you finish one, its time for a new one. They don't allow the children to do biological studies for science fair, no animal behavior or fungi. Its very limiting for a child who loves science and biology and forces them to do a project they are not interested in. The teachers do enter grades into edsby in a timely manner. So you child does their homework. Turns it in and it gets lost. You only find out your child is missing said assignment until the teacher actually enters the grade nearly 4 weeks later. The child cant remember the assignment let alone where it might be. This caused my son to earn a B in reading, the only B he has ever gotten in his life, because the assignment could not be found or replaced in time, because his teacher waited until the week before the grading period ended to put in grades. The teachers are completely hands off. They are not invested in your child. They collect a paycheck and that's it. They assign several hours of homework (thanks to common core) every single night-don't forget you still have that science project to do! No time for extracurricular activities, no fun. My kid was so stress I removed him an put him in a charter school instead. Stay away from this school. They care nothing about your kid. The principal is a mindless zombie, he doesn't support the kids or the parents. He doesn't get involved.

The best school I've ever went too and it has a nice principle and good teachers

Not so happy. When we moved to town we were told this is a high rated school. Maybe because when students are surveyed if the teacher doesn't like what the kids have said, the kids are made to change their answers or the survey is destroyed!!! This happened to my son two years in a row at this school.

My son graduated here with Straight A and presidential award. As military we used to stationed in Germany where he attended from 2nd grade to 7th grade and he never got to the Straight A (only honor student). So, I'm questioning the over all Stateside schools. compare to the German schools, US schools are way behind. They are more concentrated in entertainment like sports and band.. where other countries have more in academics.. I'm sure my son (now playing in a band) won't be needing to play clarinet to apply for jobs later.

Last modified Martinez Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.