Maitland, FL
Before care: Yes

Park Maitland School 3

Posted November 15, 2014
I have been a parent here for many years, and the school isn't as good as it was years ago. Academics have slipped in some areas, and discipline is lacking. Kids with bad behavior or academic performance are being allowed to stay. Socially - very cliquey especially for the girls. Pushy parents and their kids get what they want. Previous posts are right - they will gladly continue to take your money.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 24, 2014
Good morning. I have 2 children at Park maitland. The younger one is having an OK school experience as it has been difficult for her socially. I do regret every day keeping my child at PMS for sixth grade. All of his buddies moved on and the majority (not all) of the boys that remain at PMS are just plain mean. I keep my good face on for him but it really eats me up inside. I'm sure that he will be a much happier kid when he leaves Park maitland.

Posted October 17, 2014
I wrote a review of Park Maitland School in April 2012 after my daughter was asked to make other arrangements for her education by what is in our opinion a deplorable school. I won't go into great detail here, the April 2012 review is still available here if you wish to read it. I felt duty bound to write this update because our daughter is now a virtual "Straight A" student working toward a musical scholarship in another private school that does more than pay lip service to accommodation and academic/social diversity.There is no earthly reason why educational professionals at PMS could not have achieved the same results were they not so obsessed with elitism and making their own lives easy. To be fair - and I always try to be so - if your child falls into the "Park Maitland Mold" then you'll be fine and probably write one of the 5 star reviews you see elsewhere on this page. If however your child is a free thinker, creative, going through an absent minded phase, an only child without older siblings to emulate, or any of the other normal developmental phases children experience, then I would advise you to think carefully before choosing this school.

Posted October 07, 2014
I have found the school to be quite judgmental in regards to some of the children at the school. As long as the parent does not ruffle any feathers, your kids will be labeled as perfect. The last review looks to be written by the administration (or a parent was told to write it) as hit mentions every negative aspect of the school mentioned by parents (Winter Park clique- really?) it is great to see kids blossom when they are away from the phony environment put forward by the administration. Just my two cents.

Posted October 03, 2014
This is my kids first year at Park Maitland and we love it! I have 3 older kids in public school, but things have really changed since they were in elementary so I knew I had to look elsewhere for my youngest two. Neither of my kids, including a 4th grade boy had any trouble making friends (and we're not part of the "Winter Park Clique"), in fact the kids were welcoming and kind. What I love (compared to public school): no worksheet overload, caring and loving teachers who can teach for the child and not the test, leadership and social connections, they truly develop the whole child, they make it fun! My kids LOVE going to school, the atmosphere fosters success. The quality of my son's work has gone up dramatically because he is engaged in the lessons and the kids around him do well. I thought he would struggle coming from public school, but he is excelling. He is now the kid I knew he was supposed to be. And my daughter is easy, she loves Kindergarten like I knew she would - I love that they instill manners and have lots of active time. The campus is beautiful, the administration has been fantastic. A 9 year old boy that loves school again-that tells you everything!
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 25, 2014
We are a new family to Park Maitland and are very unhappy. The drop off and puck up is horrendous. My girls feel they are ridiculed by most of their classmates esp. the girls. Spend some time at the school if you are thinking of enrolling. We will hopefully make it through this year.
9 people found this helpful

Park Maitland School 2

Posted June 03, 2014
We have had below average experiences at Park Maitland. We have 3 boys currently at the school. I find that boys and girls have very different experiences at the school. I have noticed that most positive reviews involve girls at the school. Park Maitland does not need an overhaul just a good clean up with some of the faculty members and leadership. Beautiful campus though even if on the small side.
11 people found this helpful

Posted June 01, 2014
My daughter just graduated from Park Maitland on 5/29/14. After spending first grade in Lakemont elementary and having bad experiences with two teachers that treated quite disrespectfully, I decided to switch her over to Park Maitland. She has blossomed remarkably well. Within two weeks at Park Maitland her vocabulary increased two times fold. Her manners and demeanor also became softer and since we were going through a divorce; I was amazed by the care and guidance the in school counselors provided. Their phone message is "Growing leaders every day.." -I couldn't agree more! The love and relationships she has developed with her classmates will last her a lifetime! Thank You Park Maitland!!!

Posted May 25, 2014
My daughter is finishing her sixth grade year at Park Maitland. This has been the most fun year of school, and she is well prepared, if not over prepared, for middle school. Thank you Park Maitland for a memorable elementary experience that was worth every penny.

Posted May 09, 2014
Boy, do I disagree with some recent comments! With so many more outside societal influences, the one thing that has remained constant for my children is the warm, nurturing environment at Park Maitland. The teachers are the best in town, both in content and care, and the school stresses leadership and manners. No school today is without these "hot button" issues. To think Park Maitland does not care, is not what I have encountered. I have had no problem with administration. To me the fact that they employ a full-time guidance counselor and hold parent chats throughout the year designed to help parents navigate adolescence just shows they understand how hard it is to raise children today. I have a boy who LOVES Park Maitland. He has PE, recess, or swimming everyday. What other schools still do that along with the arts? He is definitely a "boy's boy", and has no problems fitting into the "mold" parents love to talk about. I know everyone has to find the right fit and am saddened to think any child does not enjoy their experience at school, but we have to remember that they ARE kids, and they are ALL growing and maturing. I love that Park Maitland understands this.

Park Maitland School