Liza Jackson Preparatory School

Charter | K-8 | 823 students

Posted April 24, 2014

(First, I do not recommend this school for boys attending the 5th grade. This opinion is a collective one. It may change but has been the case for a couple years now.) On a broader note, the social scene is welcoming and the teachers support healthy communication among the students. The sports' clubs are competitive. The academic standards are high. The middle school crowd in no way affects the elementary students being in such close proximity. Cursive handwriting, arithmetic facts, book reports, etc. are a few things among other lessons that are insisted upon students to exercise which is not the case in the surrounding area public schools.

Posted March 7, 2014

What do you think others should know? BEWARE I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!!!!! JAIL

Posted February 14, 2014

My daughter is in 5th grade at Liza. I agree that expectations are high. If your child can't do outstanding work, and if tests stress them out, it's probably not a good fit. Just to be clear, anybody can petition for a spot here, via lottery. It is not exlusionary in that sense. However, you have to really want to be here, and the lawyers and doctors in town DO want their kids here. If that kind of "exclusivity" bothers you, then you won't like it here. If football and cheer is important to you, it's not the right place, either. If, on the other hand, you want the best education for your kid (and can put up with the whining about uniforms), the aggressive expectations placed on their little shoulders will give them the best public education in the district. My daughter took a while to figure out what was expected of her. Her teachers were tough, but they were always willing to stay and work with her, to help her figure out how to be organized, to manage her time, and to be successful. She has become so much more capable than I ever thought she could. Liza has taught more than the three-R's. It has taught study habits, organizational skills, and self-confidence.

Posted May 20, 2013

Unless you start at this school young stay away! My 3rd grader had a blast (uniform being the exception) and I LOVED her teacher. My 8th grader came in late and was overwhelmed and unsupported! I had to pull her from the school 3 days before the end of the the 3rd quarter because she was having such a hard time with bullies and snobby, well-off classmates. If I had to do it over again I never would have put my 8th grader there. The principle did not even ask why I was pulling my student just days before the end of the quarter. Not very responsible in my opinion.

Posted March 11, 2013

I am a former student at this school and I must say it has done wonders for my education! I grew up with fellow students, made lasting friendships, and most importantly I achieved academic success. Now, as a succeeding college student, I attribute my success to this school; I still use many skills that Liza taught me like proper note taking and active listening. I never excelled at math or reading until I got the one-on-one time with the teachers/faculty that the school had to offer; I could always find help when I needed it. As a student, I experienced the highest level of compassion that school/faculty could offer. I was comforted when sick or hurt and was always given the attention I needed in order to do well. There was always a place to fit in with the numerous extracurriculars and the classroom activities. I feel that an inside opinion of the school from an actual student is very important when making the decision on whether or not this school is right for you or your child. Liza Jackson is a phenomenal school and it is safe to say that I would not be the student that I am today without the care and quality teaching this school has to offer.

Posted November 3, 2012

I am a previous student. While there, I hated the discouragement of individuality of students. It is frowned upon to be an individual. They claim to teach open mindedness but in reality it is shoved so far down our throats it becomes the exact opposite. You can not teach a child to be open minded. Also, as a member of student council and many other committees, I spent a sufficient amount of time around the administration. The assistant principal runs the whole school to continue funding her own projects that do nothing to benefit the school. She is a two-faced lying hypocrite. The principal does nothing and seems rather clueless. I am very dissapointed and wish I had attended any other school possible. Though Liza will keep your kids safe, it will make the a miserable robot. Take them to Bruner or Meigs. Anywhere but here. The preparation is awful. Teachers try their hardest to teach, but with the school mandated curriculum, they can't teach what they need to. The school simply cares about its own ratings, funding, and FCAT scores. Keep your child far away from this miserable excuse for a school.

Posted October 9, 2012

All four of my children have gone to Liza. 2 out of 4 have excelled. It's all in how your child is wired. My daughter started there in 5th grade. 6th was a definite challenge, but we worked through it. 7th and 8th were a breeze. When she enrolled at Choctaw, they said they "love getting Liza kids". My youngest has been there since day 1 of Kindergarten, and has loved every moment. He fits in well, and is very happy. My other son went there for a year and a half, and could not keep up with the rigorous demands, and left for a local middle school. My middle son is an ESE student, which Liza is not set up for. Had I known that when I accepted his offer, I would have turned it down. I'm working with the teachers to get some kind of balance with him for the rest of the year but I do not foresee him staying at Liza next year. That's not my child's fault and it's not Liza's fault. They just aren't equipped for Special Needs children. I will keep my youngest son there until he graduates 8th grade. Their Staff is wonderful, and I always feel welcome at the school, even just to drop by a class for a quick hug. If you have an easy breezy student, then this is your school. ESE need not apply.

Posted September 14, 2012

Liza is not worth waiting for... There are far better public schools in the area that offer many more opportunities for students. The administration at this school does not care about its students, especially those who struggle academically. Students who need remediation in math and reading are punished by being excluded from participating in exploratory wheel classes such as art, music, and PE. During the middle school years, this type of treatment is detrimental to students' mental and social well being. The staff and faculty here are great people who work very hard under an oblivious and self-centered administration. Students don't see this, and it is for their own well being that they don't. Liza's administration focuses primarily on FCAT scores, pushing students so hard that young students taking the exam become physically ill from anxiety. These scores give them their A+ rating. They are not an A+ school. They are far from it. Teacher turnover at this school is extremely high, with approximately a dozen teachers leaving this past year alone. Among new hires were teachers that did not have a bachelor's degree in the subject they were hire to teach. Don't waste your time here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 23, 2012

I am very concerned with what I am hearing about the band program for this coming year. Many of us are paying monthly rental fees at local music stores so our children can be in a band class with an experienced instrumental music teacher. I am hearing that there will be a "monitor" scheduled to cover the class (without a music degree) and the students are expected to practice what they cover in private lessons. How many will be taking lessons after school hours? Can the monitor help with notes, rhythms, how to put a clarinet together, and the multitude of necessary skills that need to be taught at the beginning level? What happens to the students who started band last year? Are they in the same monitored class? I do hope that we have a teacher with a music (major) degree. The decision to have a monitor cover any band class rates as an unsatisfactory.

Posted April 13, 2012

My son attended LJPS from Pre-K until 2nd grade. I was always very satisfied with the level of communication and genuine interest in my child's development that was displayed during our time there. Our family relocated in early 2011 and I have been reminded by the public system why I loved LJPS so very much. We were accepted today by a charter school with near identical ideals as LJPS and I am thrilled to get my son back where he belongs. To any skeptical parents reading reviews, know that your child's academic development requires the parents, students and teachers to participate. The overwhelming consensus of this school is that it is one of the best in the state. There are so many reasons why and so few why not to chose LJPS. In my family's opinion LJPS is a fantastic place for students and parents!

Posted March 13, 2012

Liza is just so horrid. I would not recommend it to anyone. The principal is a lazy brood who does nothing but leaves all of the work to the staff. The children don't know the meaning of an open mind

Posted March 11, 2012

The children who go to Liza are living in a jail. The small ones like it, because all they do is color and read stories, but as you progress within the institution, you see how monotone the mental colors of their minds are. They will not teach you about how to survive in life, nor will they teach you properly. It's like they hire the teachers only to scold the students and give them failing grades. The students have no ambition, no goals in life. They are only being taught to sit and take tests, be "smart". The assistant principal is the worst. She is a lying witch who obviously picks favorites. The principal doesn't even do anything!

Posted August 4, 2011

The Liza Way...... Sorry, the school was opened with good intentions and maybe it worked for a while... but all it did for my son was lower his expectations and his FCAT scores.... It is just not the model school that they are selling..... Too many young, childless, beginner teachers who should be listening instead of preaching and too many idealists who should open their eyes and quit believing thier own propaganda. We have moved my son back to the "public-public schools" at least they admit their faults and don't pretend to be better than the rest.....

Posted July 12, 2011

The idea originally meant for this school was a good one. When my child started in 4th grade, we were very pleased. In the following years we started noticing a decline in abilities of new teachers. We also started noticing a decrease in the original intent of the school, that being a preparatory school. The rules originally in place for acceptance when by the wayside. No it is a school that determines what is done by who holds the most money. The math teacher this last year for my child was unable to keep her word, was poor at controlling the classroom setting, and was an avid lier. Her poor teaching ability is evidenced by the significant drop in Math FCAT scores this year from 93% to 70%, the lowest it's been in at least 4 years. My kids are slowly being challenged less and less. Hiring new teachers with little to no experience doesn't help. Teachers that have been there from the beginning notice the change, and don't like it. Although it rates high now... I can see numbers dropping in the future.

Posted September 28, 2010

Both of my children attend Liza Jackson. One is in 5th grade and one is in 2nd grade. The teachers greet my children with smiles every morning in their doorway and really care about them as individuals. My 2nd grader came to this school behind in Reading and her teacher has not only realized this, she has put her into a program to catch her up with the rest of the class. The Parent/Teacher organization called P.A.T.H.S. is fantastic. I have begun helping more with them this year and have been impressed with how hard they work for our kids. My older child was in the play Annie they put on last year and had a wonderful experience and joined the volleyball team this year. Liza has made them well rounded, well educated, organized, and happy. I am thrilled.

Posted August 1, 2009

LJPS continues to grow professionally and personally. There is always room for improvement and we (teachers and administrators) strive for that. Do we have growing pains ? Yes all good schools do. That s how a school continues to improve. Overall, LJPS is a solid learning environment. Both of my children attend LJPS even though they could be attending excellent schools in Niceville. I choose to bring them with me to experience the Liza Way.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2009

Liza Jackson is a wonderful school that exemplifies all the qualities I want in a school for my children!! It is just like the best private schools without writing the check every month!!

Posted March 27, 2009

This is my lovely school and I love it very much. The best learning and school materials plus amazing teachrs who make it esy for you to learn.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 30, 2009

Liza Jackson is an excellent school with amazing and caring professional teachers. My hat is off to them for all of the time and energy that they put into their classes. God bless.

Posted January 27, 2009

As an elementary school LJPS is fabulous. I would give it 4 stars. The teachers know the students well and it is very much a family atmosphere. Teh elementary administration is supportive and understanding of both teachers and parents. The middle school, on the other hand, is lacking. I would not reccommend it. I give the middle school 1 star. There are too many administrators which has led to great amounts of inconsistency. In order to keep the middle school full (a numbers game) often times students are allowed to slide by without following the rulees and policies set forth. Again, there is great inconsistency. LJPS as a middle school does not even compare to others in the area. It doesn't have the opportunities that other middle school offer. It really is a shame considering the elementary is exemplery.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

87 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

87 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

• DR. MARY GUNTER
Fax number
  • (850) 833-3292

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory