544 students|Brevard

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Sherwood Elementary School used to be wonderful. My children and students in the community used to thrive at this school. Unfortunately, things have changed recently and this school is no longer great. The new Principal, Dr. Karen Ivery, will tell you that it's the fault of the teachers and staff. But teachers don't leave this school. Most teachers at Sherwood have worked there for over a decade. The only change that has happened in recent years is the arrival of the new Principal. Coincidence? I think not. Somewhere between 10-15 of those teachers that never leave Sherwood left this summer and are working elsewhere this school year. I can't begin to tell you what a red flag that appears to be! The teachers who love this school made the hard decision to leave it. The teachers who LOVE THESE STUDENTS chose to give up that love and work elsewhere. Since the arrival of the new administration, bullying has run rampant at Sherwood. Students who bully have absolutely no consequences. In fact, my children generally state that when a student gets sent to the office for anything, whether it is bullying, disrespect, hurting another student, etc, that the student is usually back in the classroom in under an hour and most of the time they bring back candy with them! I hardly call that effective discipline! The teachers seem to have their hands tied and lack support from administration to deal with these students. My children used to love to go to school. But now, their favorite teachers are gone, they get picked on by peers, and Sherwood traditions are being canceled. My children now hate to go to school. They dread going here everyday! In addition to the teachers who have left Sherwood, I have also noticed the number of students has gone down! I did some research and found out that over 100 students decided to NOT go back to Sherwood and elected to go Out-of-Area to another school. The office staff and teachers have been nothing but AMAZING since we started at Sherwood years ago. The front office clerks are so helpful whenever we need it and the teachers were always willing to go the extra mile for my children!!! Again...the only thing that has changed in recent years? The new Principal. So disappointed in all these changes. So sad to see the school my children love turning into this. We will not be back next year.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The reason my students used to love it here is because the teachers. They learned so much from them. Now, half of those teachers are gone!

Amount of homework: Agree

Teachers here to a good job keeping the homework levels to a just right level.

Develops character: Disagree

There are no consequences for students who misbehave, bully, disrespect, bring weapons to school. etc. Students here get away with murder and the administration doesn't care. Teachers have their hands tied when disciplining students because of this.

We are Air Force and move a lot, but my daughter has always excelled in school. She was in gifted classes for 1st and 2nd grade in Tampa. We came here and she immediately started having problems. Her 3rd and 4th grade classes were so full of troubled students with behavioral problems that she has not received a good education or been challenged academically in two years. Teachers are too busy dealing with bad kids to spend time with the good ones. We are transferring next year and until they do some redistricting, I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

Develops character: Disagree

Due to recent redistricting, over half of this school's students are economically challenged residents of a poor neighborhood directly across the street. These kids tend to have more behavioral issues and so teachers spend most of the day reprimanding trouble makers instead of teaching lesson plans or life lessons like honesty or integrity. I often feel like my 4th grade daughter is just in a day care program with no real learning or social benefits. She has also picked up several bad habits from her classmates since attending this school.

Let me start out by saying that my Son has been going to Sherwood since kindergarten and has missed the very basics. He is now in forth grade and was retained in third due to a lack of compression. He has had a great third grade teacher the second time around but they are now trying to put him into fifth and he struggles with forth grade. His current teacher is lazy, doesn't test the children weekly like the other teachers and rarely checks his work. During the first night of parent teacher night she stated that " i don't want to grade 21 papers". I have had enough and I'm going to be putting him in a private school. Thoroughly disgusted!

Our neighborhood got rezoned from Longleaf to Sherwood. We protested at the school board meeting but to no avail. Reluctantly our daughter went to Sherwood for 3rd grade. Contrary to our fears she loves Sherwood. The teachers are very nice. The principal and vice principal are excellent. She is having a much better time here than in Longleaf. Thank you Sherwood.

I have recently moved out of the area and I truly miss the great teachers and the wonderful atmosphere for the students and the very young children. Thank you Sherwood Staff ! Keep up the good work 'A' School

This is a great school, both of my children have thrived in this nurturing environment. The teachers have been helpful and understanding and seem to deeply care about each and every child.

Last modified Sherwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.