Thomas Jefferson Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 642 students

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We have had 5 children attend JMS over the recent years and have been impressed with the quality of this school, including: academic focus of the faculty; excellence of the art/music program; friendliness of the administrative staff; facilities; and level of parental involvement.

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter is graduating this year from JMS and it's been a tremendous experience for her. She is in the Galileo program and she was fortunate to have the same teachers for Math, Science, English and History for 2 years. The Galileo program is a very challenging program but it really prepared her for MIHS. Truly the teachers are fantastic at JMS!

Posted April 28, 2014

I have a daughter that has attendef TJM for several years and us graduating this year. Some of the teachers have been phenominal while others have neen medioaker... the education she has received has been ok, but wish it could have been better.

Posted May 8, 2013

I am so proud that my son was able to attend such a wonderful middle school. The school was quite proactive on communication with parents and provided many extra curricular activities that promotes soaial growth for a student at this age.

Posted May 6, 2013

I've been working at Jefferson for 2 years as an ESE support staff member. The staff at Jefferson is very caring and always strives to do what is best for students. There are a lot of extracurricular activities for the students, and academically there are classes offered both for students who need opportunities for enrichment and for remediation. The administration and staff both strive to improve parent/school communication. My children are grown, but I would be happy to have them attend Jefferson Middle School.

Posted May 1, 2013

I have worked at Jefferson for many years and consider it the best school I've ever worked in. The student body is a great group of kids, the parent organization active and supportive and the administration encouraging of its teachers. For high achieving students we offer the Galileo program that addresses the curriculum in ways that appeal to students who are gifted. Our band and chorus regularly receive superiors at competition, and we have many extra-curricular programs outside of the school day. If we were zoned for this area, this is the school I would put my own kids in.

Posted May 1, 2013

I have had three students go through Jefferson am am very proud of the fact that they still consider themselves Statesmen. It is an excellent middle school that prepares the students to be ready for high school. I love how friendly the front office is and now that we have Edline to look at - the teachers are very easy to reach. I feel the best part of the school is how the teachers work together in teams. When I had a question, I can call one teacher and meet with all four. Not all schools do that and I found it very helpful. I also feel the school is very safe because when my son was there he would tell me he feels the resource officer does a good job.

Posted May 1, 2013

I love technology and the social media that allows us instant information; however, I take exception when the information shared is not accurate. If you are interested in Merritt Island and coming to Jefferson I ask that you please talk to the parents on Merritt Island. We have an excellent parent organization with lots of parents who would be very happy to talk to anyone about their experiences at Jefferson. To see my school rated so low because of 12 unhappy parents is unsettling. I also, as the principal, would love to talk to anyone interested in my school. I have an open door policy and talk to anyone who come into the school. Thank you for considering that 12 people might not give an accurate representation of an organization the serves over 650 students a year.

Posted May 1, 2013

My child is zoned for a different school and attends Jefferson as an out-of-area student. I have a nephew that attends as well. We have had no problems, it is a great school. It appears that most of the bad comments/ratings are left by parents that have children with discipline problems.

Posted May 1, 2013

Thomas Jefferson Middle School is an excellent school. My daughter was part of the Principal Leadership academy, Cheerleading and much more. they have many events for the kids to participate in .. Teachers are great and the Dean keeps the school safe and ship shape

Posted May 1, 2013

I have been very happy with this school. All of my son's teachers are very involved in his education and reach out to communicate with me. The principal is very involved in nurturing this difficult adolescent age and is also very involved in the community at large as well. The parent organization provides great support to the school as well. I believe my son is getting a great education.

Posted March 4, 2013

Not the best school in Merritt island. My daughters friend was locked in a bathroom at JMS. I do not reccomend this school

Posted July 21, 2012

Horrible school...very few teachers care about students, the Assistant Principal is a joke (I feel bad for her children), and the Principal is either lazy or incompetent because she NEVER responds to issues, she'd rather sick her little Asst. Principal with no brains or compassion to deal with your issues. Teachers bully children and allow other children to bully each other...my child got into trouble for defending a child who was so badly bullied he told my son he wanted to hurt himself...this school needs a lot of training for staff, and their front office needs an attitude adjustment. School nurse - got her degree out of a crackerjack box or something because she's not too swift. Learning- a joke, moved my son here from up north and he was re-learning everything from 5th and 6th grade in 7th and 8th. After the experience we have had with Merritt Island schools (Jefferson & Tropical), we decided to send our children to school out of this town...I'd rather take a long drive than use this town's schools...

Posted December 6, 2011

This school has to be the worst school in the area. The teachers bully the kids. The teachers expect the hormone raging, puberty stage teenagers to have more control than the teachers do. The Dean of Students is the biggest bully of all. She enjoys belittling and pushing students around. If there was another option for public school in Merritt Island, we would be there. I wish more parents could stand together and be heard, but we all know that will never happen. Considering a bus driver can beat up a parent and still drive a bus in the county, could we really expect the county to do anything but support a bully for a Dean.

Posted August 10, 2011

jms is a very bad school the only reson that everyone gose thar is that is the only middle school in merritt island i went thar and i did not get help from any teathers all the school cairs bout is fcat scors i will never sind my kids to this school.and i dont think any one can say something good bout this school.

Posted July 19, 2011

Horrible school - indifferent teachers, loads of mistakes in grades, edline is non-existing, unfriendly front office, ast. principal a jerk, not sure how they got such a good rating. I, parent of a 14 yr old, am looking elsewhere to place my child. Very mediocre learning experience.

Posted March 6, 2010

I am a student at JMS and i am very unimpressed. Most students there are mean and many find school unimportant. I know because in many of my classes students don't seem to care. I've also experienced bullying on a severe level so bad i was afraid to go back to school. On the bright side the teachers and staff are conciderate but few see what realy goes on. Over all I'm happy I'm moving to a diffrent school next year.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 26, 2007

This school has been wonderful. Aside from a slighltly odd Guidance Counselor who should not be working with children, we have been happy. Teachers are kind and supportive.

Posted March 15, 2007

This has got to be the worst school in the district. The teachers do not care, the school is over populated and run down. FCAT scores are the only thing this school worries about!

Posted March 28, 2006

School is overcrowded. Primary goal at this and any Florida school is FCAT ratings.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

278 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

312 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

224 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

318 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

320 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

316 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

301 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (321) 459-2854

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options