650 students|Brevard

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted January 07, 2016
Yes the school develops respect in it's students. They have pretty strict policies with regards to how students should act and treat other students.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 07, 2016
The school stays on top of the student's work. I am in touch via ed line every day. It is great to be so informed.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 07, 2016
The school invites parents to get involved. Always available to discuss anything going on. Miss Tina know everything that is going on and can point me in the right direction every time.

Posted January 07, 2016
We moved here from Virginia. This school is by far the best we have attended. It's a good mix of students, and the teachers are always available! My 8th grader loves it here. We will miss it next year as he moves on to Merritt Island high school. This school has a nice family feel to it. I stay involved with my son's education, and the school invites parents to take part. I think you get out of it what you put into it. By far a great experience. Thanks to all!

Posted November 06, 2015
We are a military family that moved to the area last year. We chose Jefferson as it had good reviews and ratings. They were so wrong. My 8th grader had an awful time. She had come from Dods schools and always went to school with other military kids who are for the most part respectful good kids with involved parents. We did not find this at Jefferson. My daughter has alays been an outgoing, well liked child, I didnt see her having a problem starting this school. First and foremost we found the kids to be way more advanced. Girls talking about getting drunk, spending th night at boys houses, etc. it seemed the less clothes they wore, the more popular they were. My daughter was so uncomfortable around them. They were so rude also, making comments like, what are you looking at freak, if she looked their way. She thought she found a friend but found this girl found joy in pretending to be her friend while getting other girls to bully her. She was getting threats of getting beat up at school and was crying every night begging me to not send her back there. Not only that, but she was doing awful with grades which she had never done before. There was also threats of all kinds, kids beating each other up, etc. The kids there do not seem to have morals or parent involvement. Its sad. I had enough. I pulled her and enrolled her in Merritt Island Christian school. Let me tell you, best choice I ever made. The kids at that school have morals, they are actually nice to one another. But thats a review for that school.... I would never send my child to Jefferson if I had known. By far the worse students i have ever encountered.

Posted August 30, 2015
I sadly attended this school in 2004. It was THE WORST SCHOOL EVER. I was bullied because of my faith and the students made a petition for me to remove my hijab. The female gym teacher was HORRIBLE. she would chase people in golf carts if they didn't run fast enough and favored other students. Almost every other student wore a confederate flag t shirt. Many teachers favorited certain students and nothing was ever done about it. I'm married with children and this school still is in my memory as the worst school ever. Bad bad bad.

Posted April 06, 2015
I'm currently a student at Jefferson and it is by far one of the worst schools i have attended. The teachers are very rude and frighten some of the other students. (I had one teacher practically scream at a student multiple times. Yes, he was misbehaving but that does not warrant that kind of response.) They also hand out punishments for vacuous reasons ( A personal friend of mine was sitting at lunch with her boyfriend and their elbows were touching and they received a detention for breaking the "no touching" rule.) And while some students are being punished for stupid things other students who are doing things as serious as bullying others receive no disciplining. The area is also not friendly which brings about very inappropriate actions among students such as doing drugs and fighting. The gym coaches there are also slightly sadistic. If they find you not paying attention they make you do a mile of lunges around the track, a couple of times they chased some students around the track in golf carts because they were jogging too slow. All in all this place is like a living hell, I wouldn't recommend attending this school.

Posted January 02, 2015
i go to jefferson and its awful. a majority of the students are mean and the dean punishes people for stupid reasons (a girl in our school dyed the tips of her hair and she made her wash all of it out). im in the galileo program, but its not even difficult. one of my teachers constantly misplaces our work and we spend a majority of their class talking to each other without actually doing anything. the schools here must be really bad because i went to mila and that was even worse.

Posted September 16, 2014
We have had 5 children attend JMS over the recent years and have been impressed with the quality of this school, including: academic focus of the faculty; excellence of the art/music program; friendliness of the administrative staff; facilities; and level of parental involvement.

Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter is graduating this year from JMS and it's been a tremendous experience for her. She is in the Galileo program and she was fortunate to have the same teachers for Math, Science, English and History for 2 years. The Galileo program is a very challenging program but it really prepared her for MIHS. Truly the teachers are fantastic at JMS!

1275 South Courtenay Parkway, Merritt Island, FL  32952
Last modified Thomas Jefferson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.