Merritt Island, FL

Thomas Jefferson Middle School 1

Posted April 06, 2015
I'm currently a student at Jefferson and it is by far one of the worst schools i have attended. The teachers are very rude and frighten some of the other students. (I had one teacher practically scream at a student multiple times. Yes, he was misbehaving but that does not warrant that kind of response.) They also hand out punishments for vacuous reasons ( A personal friend of mine was sitting at lunch with her boyfriend and their elbows were touching and they received a detention for breaking the "no touching" rule.) And while some students are being punished for stupid things other students who are doing things as serious as bullying others receive no disciplining. The area is also not friendly which brings about very inappropriate actions among students such as doing drugs and fighting. The gym coaches there are also slightly sadistic. If they find you not paying attention they make you do a mile of lunges around the track, a couple of times they chased some students around the track in golf carts because they were jogging too slow. All in all this place is like a living hell, I wouldn't recommend attending this school.

Thomas Jefferson Middle School 1

Posted January 02, 2015
i go to jefferson and its awful. a majority of the students are mean and the dean punishes people for stupid reasons (a girl in our school dyed the tips of her hair and she made her wash all of it out). im in the galileo program, but its not even difficult. one of my teachers constantly misplaces our work and we spend a majority of their class talking to each other without actually doing anything. the schools here must be really bad because i went to mila and that was even worse.

Posted September 16, 2014
We have had 5 children attend JMS over the recent years and have been impressed with the quality of this school, including: academic focus of the faculty; excellence of the art/music program; friendliness of the administrative staff; facilities; and level of parental involvement.

Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter is graduating this year from JMS and it's been a tremendous experience for her. She is in the Galileo program and she was fortunate to have the same teachers for Math, Science, English and History for 2 years. The Galileo program is a very challenging program but it really prepared her for MIHS. Truly the teachers are fantastic at JMS!

Thomas Jefferson Middle School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
I have a daughter that has attendef TJM for several years and us graduating this year. Some of the teachers have been phenominal while others have neen medioaker... the education she has received has been ok, but wish it could have been better.

Posted May 08, 2013
I am so proud that my son was able to attend such a wonderful middle school. The school was quite proactive on communication with parents and provided many extra curricular activities that promotes soaial growth for a student at this age.

Posted May 06, 2013
I've been working at Jefferson for 2 years as an ESE support staff member. The staff at Jefferson is very caring and always strives to do what is best for students. There are a lot of extracurricular activities for the students, and academically there are classes offered both for students who need opportunities for enrichment and for remediation. The administration and staff both strive to improve parent/school communication. My children are grown, but I would be happy to have them attend Jefferson Middle School.

Posted May 01, 2013
I have worked at Jefferson for many years and consider it the best school I've ever worked in. The student body is a great group of kids, the parent organization active and supportive and the administration encouraging of its teachers. For high achieving students we offer the Galileo program that addresses the curriculum in ways that appeal to students who are gifted. Our band and chorus regularly receive superiors at competition, and we have many extra-curricular programs outside of the school day. If we were zoned for this area, this is the school I would put my own kids in.

Posted May 01, 2013
I have had three students go through Jefferson am am very proud of the fact that they still consider themselves Statesmen. It is an excellent middle school that prepares the students to be ready for high school. I love how friendly the front office is and now that we have Edline to look at - the teachers are very easy to reach. I feel the best part of the school is how the teachers work together in teams. When I had a question, I can call one teacher and meet with all four. Not all schools do that and I found it very helpful. I also feel the school is very safe because when my son was there he would tell me he feels the resource officer does a good job.

Posted May 01, 2013
I love technology and the social media that allows us instant information; however, I take exception when the information shared is not accurate. If you are interested in Merritt Island and coming to Jefferson I ask that you please talk to the parents on Merritt Island. We have an excellent parent organization with lots of parents who would be very happy to talk to anyone about their experiences at Jefferson. To see my school rated so low because of 12 unhappy parents is unsettling. I also, as the principal, would love to talk to anyone interested in my school. I have an open door policy and talk to anyone who come into the school. Thank you for considering that 12 people might not give an accurate representation of an organization the serves over 650 students a year.

Thomas Jefferson Middle School
1275 South Courtenay Parkway, Merritt Island, FL  32952
Last modified Thomas Jefferson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Jefferson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top