Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 485 students

Posted May 13, 2014

Our daughter attended Stevenson for fifth and sixth grades after spending four years at her assigned (based on our street address) school. She wasn't being challenged at her assigned school but when she started attending Stevenson the workload increase easily 2x. I think this kind of experience could lead the student and or parent to feel overwhelmed and therefore start asking for help from the school and give negative reviews if their student's situation doesn't change. I could be wrong but my personal opinion is that those giving low markings to Stevenson fall in this camp. So first of all be aware of the increase in workload. However if you or your child are results driven and care about FCAT scores as well as GPA, then this school maybe ideally suited for you the parent (who would be required to provide volunteer hours) or your child (who would have to work twice as hard if not more than a regular school). Based on statistics, if your child is an FCAT 3 category, the school is not for your child. But if your child is FCAT 4/5 student and also willing to work to assignments and projects that go well beyond his or her assigned school, then this school maybe for your child

Posted February 9, 2014

Funny how the negative reviews that tell it exactly how it is at Stevenson, disappear!!!! Disturbing. Do not subject YOUR child to this degrading, unfriendly atmosphere. Almost all the great teachers leave and go elsewhere...what does that tell you?

Posted February 8, 2014

I am very shocked by the negative remarks on this page about RLS. I am a grandmother with two grandsons who attend this school. I have had over 400 volunteer hours each year they have attended, and I am there for part of every day, so I know a good bit about what goes on here. THERE IS NO CLOSED DOOR POLICY. Yes, you do have to go through the front office to get in. That's a security issue trying to keep the bad guys out, not families! Volunteers are wanted, welcome and recruited! If you sincerely care about the quality of education your child receives and you want to be a part of it, then this is the place to be.This school consistently ranks in the top 50 elementary schools in the state of Florida. Impressive in a state with several thousand elementary schools Children at RLS wear uniforms and sign a behavior contract. There are very few discipline issues and the overall attitude of respect between staff and students creates a positive learning environment.

Posted December 5, 2013

Took my children out of RLS after 2 and a half years. Both children were happy to go. Strangely unbalanced environment. The school and administration seemed too focused on buzzwords and anything that could get attention for the school. Way too focused on testing! Stifling, unfriendly feeling for an art school. Many teachers have left, all teachers there are overstressed. Very involved families and good students. But after my husband was spoken down to by administration yet another time, we made the choice to leave. We now go to Tropical and our kids are thriving in our calmer neighborhood school.

Posted June 7, 2013

PART 2/2 If your child is shy, and you want her to be more social, these teachers are so understanding. I used to be the shyest kid. I would barely talk. But my teachers pushed me gently and little by little, I became more out-going. I landed a lead role in the school play! We have plays. These aren't your "1 week put together plays" These take months of planning. The script is written, music selection picked, and complicated dances. And don't be disappointed if you don't get a part, or don't get in a dance. It doesn't mean you're not talented enough. The teachers don't pick favorites. Now are you gonna listen to a student, or someone who doesn't go here?

Posted February 21, 2013

I, too, like several other parents have stated, am so happy that my daughter attends R L Stevenson Elementary School. It is a fantastic school. My daughter has attended since 3rd grade and is currently completing her 6th grade and final year at Stevenson. I am so sad that she will be leaving Stevenson. The previous writer that stated this is not an Arts school, has clearly not been to Stevenson. My daughter has Theater Arts, Drama, Orchestra, Music and Dance every week. In the past she has had traditional art classes and digital art classes. She has been in numerous productions the school has produced. Currently the entire 6th grade class is completing a Capstone project in Animation. This school is all about providing a superior education while offering numerous arts (dance, music, art, drama) classes. The teachers and administration are warm, inviting and extremely professional. The thing I love most about Stevenson is that it teaches each child to expectation, not the medium standard. What a gift that is to our children. My daughter has surpassed the challenge and now far exceeds the norm....YEAH Stevenson!!!

Posted January 17, 2013

I wasso happy when my son got in to Stevenson .He has been for 3 years now .Excellent teachers ,challenging academic programs,I was happy.The school is not for having fun it is for learning and becoming someone great in future.To the parents who are writting all the negativity about our school:unfortunatelly this school is not for you, kids, they learn a lot here with the help of Parents and teachers,if you are not willing to involve as a parent in your childs aducation thats your problem not Stevenson schoos .Love the education in Stevenson as well as challenges that comes with it.You should see my sons face whwn he reaches high score_Priceless!!!!!

Posted January 16, 2013

As a parent of a standard child who us to be an star in her old school, I was in shock when she finally got into Stevenson. She was retained in second grade, ask me if I was happy about it?. Now, she is a great student, she was able to jump her reading level from kindergarten to third grade in just one year of remediation. She really loves all her teachers, front offices staff and nurse. As a parent, I always feel welcome, informed and part of the school. I will be always great full for all they have done for my daughter.

Posted December 30, 2012

Stevenson was my oldest child's 3rd elementary school and I cannot give this school enough praise. Students are encouraged to excel and accomplish what they never dreamed they could. Teachers are incredibly devoted and caring. And, although the principal can be a bit firm, his expectations for each student is for them to achieve their personal best and nothing less. Kids are also afraid of him, which allows him to keep discipline throughout the school. As another reviewer said, the front office is hard to get past, but I'm glad they're not allowing all these parents free roam of the school. They are there to preserve a professional learning environment, not to coddle parents with attachment issues. This environment is not for everyone, but it's only one of three choice schools in the county who give students this type of challenge and put education as a priority. They employ technology, the arts, and individualized attention to go beyond what other schools are doing. The best anecdote about Stevenson I can offer is when my daughter was asked what makes someone "cool" and her answer was, "to be smart and get good grades." That is Stevenson and I am privileged to have my kids there.

Posted May 10, 2012

I have to completely agree with the comments warning new parent(s) of what RLS is actually about. I too have seen what goes on there and was shocked so many parents allowed a school to operate in such a poor manner. The "drop & go" parents don't see what is really happening there. They need to spend more time inside the school. (Which is extremely hard to accomplish, since it is difficult to get past the front office) However, I have talked to many parents who have stated exactly what the reviewer twice ago said. To sum up as briefly as possible, RLS is a hositle, univiting, uninspiring enivironment that believes in a negative, rather than positive teaching/reinforcement style. Parents are constantly pulling their children out of the school. And contrary to what they may want you to believe, they do it to provide their children a better educational experience. The parents who have saved their children from RLS could open your eyes to the multitude of problems there. You should try to seek them out. Also, the Arts program there is awful. The other review is 100% right. Put some art on the walls for tours, take it down right afterwards. Back to boring gray walls. Yeah School.

Posted May 5, 2012

Wow. The previous reviewer certainly sounds like he or she has had a very bad experience. I am sorry for their experience however I wish to respectfully disagree with all of the comments. For the past many years, my family has not experienced any of the situations listed. My children have been treated with respect, during academics and the arts (of which is infused throughout the school - any of the frequent performances indicate this). And I do have the opportunity to participate with my children but not to the extent that it disrupts their learning or that of the other children. Again, I am sorry the previous family has had such a poor experience but I don't believe that is the experience of the majority of the families.

Posted May 2, 2012

WARNING!! Terrible School! The school enforces a strict, "Closed Door" policy, and they have a good reason for it. If you are able to get past the main office, you will see the multitude of problems with this school. The children are ridiculed and embarassed on a daily basis. They believe that they can keep the masses in line by making examples of individuals whenever possible. Group punishment is used frequently and they make entire classes sit with their heads on the desks for extended periods of time in an effort to punish poor behavior of individuals. The school cares about 1 thing, and 1 thing only. FCAT grades. They begin drilling the 1st graders for the 3rd grade FCAT, and they make sure they weed out the lower performing children by forcing them out of the school prior to 3rd grade. They will create such a hositle environment for the child and parent, that they will have no other option but to withdraw. They require 20 hrs. volunteering per family, but the school does not want you there. They will not let you around your child, period. BTW, it is supposed to be the School of the Arts, yet it has absolutely no art throughout the school. Your child deserves better!!

Posted April 23, 2010

Best school I've been associated with since I went to school as a child. Parents care, teachers rock! Kids are challenged to excel, nothing bad to say!

Posted April 22, 2010

It's a school that motivates kids to do their best while exposing them to the arts at a very early age!

Posted October 8, 2009

the caring teachers and the opportunity for students to explore creative arts along with regular curriculum

Posted October 17, 2008

Best school ever. Those negative ratings are mostly from parents who's children where behind academically and they preferred to leave the school to avoid a hold back. All schools are too concerned about their Test scores and ratings, but the government is to blame for that. I have my 2 children at Stevenson and we love it.

Posted August 26, 2008

I love Stevenson! My husband and I put our son into this school last year and are impressed with the academics, arts program, and the dedication to students the staff has. Since there is so much time spent on the arts and performances, it isn't for everyone. I keep my son there (advanced, needs challenging), and my daughter at a different school, because she needs more time in the classroom. A-plus!

Posted June 3, 2008

What can I say about Stevenson that would do it justice? It is unlike any other school. This school is driven to be the best. It drives the students to be their best and instills a sense of community and a work ethnic. The teachers have always been there..before and after school working hard behind the scenes. My child has learned something that will benefit him tremendously every year. he learned how to ace the FCAT writes, conduct science experiments, and master all math lessons and even was accepted into the high school math classes in 7th grade . It isn't a school for the lazy student or the enabling parent. I can proudly say it is a school for rigorous and challenging work.You can tell from the last day of school when the children are bawling that they LOVE their school. Go RLS!

Posted May 27, 2008

My child is completing the first year of school at RLS and couldn't be happier. He is thriving academically and socially, and has the opportunity to advance even further with the arts and music, both areas that can enhance a child's academic performance. His teacher is excellent, showing creativity, excitement, and teaches to each child's strengths. The children in his class and throughout the school appear happy, friendly, polite, behavior problems are few and academics are strong. I very strongly disagree that the school focuses on their ratings, scores, or image; I see the focus during school and during afternoon activites on building a well-rounded child. There are many opportunities for parents to be involved, to be a part of their child's education, and get to know the staff members teaching and caring for their child. My younger child is looking forward to starting school at RLS in the future.

Posted May 20, 2008

I was so excited for my grandchildren to be going to this school, I had heard such great things about RL Stevenson... But I believe that most of the teachers & staff have forgotten that they are teaching 'Children' in elementary school Not high school ! They are focusing more on how the school is rated for the year than on the 'children' they are teaching. I believe they are so concerned with their Image... they take their frustrations out on the children & their parents. I would not reccommend this school to anyone, And I am very relieved that they will not be going there next year !

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor