Mater Academy Miami Beach 3

Posted August 07, 2014
We have been trying to get our daughter into this school for 3 years, we are in the correct district but always seem to not get selected during the time of the Lottery. It is disheartening to hear from other parents who got their children into the school that there is favoritism during the admission process.

Posted June 30, 2014
I could not be happier with this school. It is truly a family oriented environment. All staff member are truly nice and make my son feel welcomed every day. He just finished PreK4 and could not ask for more dedicated and loving teachers. Ms. Lorenzo and Ms. Gonzalez have been amazing. The education level is quite good and yes, they get homework every day but my son is not yet in kindergarden and can write and read sentences. The teachers have been always available to any questions or needs; they would reply within a few hours to any email and would always keep all parents informed on what was going on. He is now in summer camp and I was nicely surprised by the calendar of activities. My son had to stay home sick today and he was asking me to go to school, that to me as a mom says a lot.

Posted April 02, 2014
My school is a relatively new school in that it was once St. Joseph's School which Mater Beach Academy now leases. We have had to overcome may obstacles and make many repairs. As a Charter School, we are not fully funded as are the Public Schools and are dependent on the parents to help supplement supplies, donate time (volunteer hours) and materials. Through it all, the Principal, Administration, Teachers and Staff are dedicated, devoted and focused on given our children the best education possible. I have never seen such happy, eager to teach instructors before. We are definitely a "family" oriented school and are treated as such. I could not hope for a better school for my children to attend.

Posted February 07, 2014
It saddens me to read some of the reviews of parents who might of never given this school a fair chance. When the previous school closed, Mater Beach welcomed me and I have been with them since. After MANY changes to the school, ie smart boards in every classroom, computers in every classroom (even the prek) New cafeteria, New park, New garden I can go on and on the school has made a 360! I have two children, one in elementary and another in middle. Classroom management is great, EVEN if the class is large. A LOT of homework.... yes... good, helps them learn! The Principal is VERY nice, low key (confused her at first as an office employee greeting people as they walk into the lobby of the school). I might have had some suggestions/complaints in the past, but I always addressed them and got/found a solution. I am VERY happy, I don't listen to people's negative opinions, I give it a shot and see for myself... I'm glad I did.

Posted December 23, 2013
Over crowded and unorganized are the nicest words I can use. Cirriculum is absurd. School is falling apart and dirty. Principle is barely visable. Leaves a parent to wonder WHO is representing "OUR" school and where is the funding for charter schools going too. After school activities are a joke. Not sure if the instructors are even qualified. Make this a private school again with small classrooms, a personable staff, and a family environment where parents are kept up to date on the day to day functions and improvements because IT IS OUR BUSINESS !

Posted September 01, 2013
My child cries everyday not wanting to go to school. This has never happened before. The teachers are constantly yelling and at times a bit rude to parents.Parents and teachers should work as a team. This is not the case in this school. Should be a public school not a charter school.

Posted April 24, 2013
There is a lot to be desired for this school. I was under the impression that charter schools offer smaller class sizes than traditional public schools. Definitely not the case here. Some classes are 40+ students with 2 teachers. I was a straight A student and I would have trouble concentrating in such an environment. Not to mention recess for lower elementary grades is 15 minutes! Try that with a student that needs to move around more and has focus issues. Let's not get into the unhealthful habits of tremendous amounts of candy, soda and junk food for any given event, holiday, birthday etc. And the vending machines which sell the same... It's 2013, get a nutritional clue! I was so displeased with this school that I withdrew my child after 2 1/2 years and severely regret ever enrolling her and wish I had given Biscayne Elementary a chance, which I just might do. This school is the epitome of A Race to Nowhere, they decided to cram a 9th grade class in the facility already housing pre-k 3 up to 8th grade. Can anyone say $$$ greed?

Posted November 28, 2012
My daughter has attended Mater Beach for two years now, and I am quite happy with it. As a new school, it is constantly improving. The teachers have done a good job of pushing my child to a 'beyond grade' level.

Posted February 09, 2012
I have a good references for this School.My two dothers went to the St Joseph and also my grandsons were in this School.For economic reazon we transfered to Treasure Island,and now we are very interesting to be enroll in Mater Beach Academy for the good references,that I have

Mater Academy Miami Beach 3

Posted October 12, 2011
Well, I won't give a five star rating just yet. The staff is friendly and the school premisses are considerably good. However, my child is in a 45 students classroom and altough they have two teachers, both teachers are not fully present to assist the students while the other is giving the lesson. Maybe that is the standard. I don' t know yet. However, being that is this is a charter school, they don't have to follow Miami Dade's rules, which will make the 45 student classroom, illegal. I have my concerns but both of my child's teachers seem to be giving their best and my child is doing well. I will keep updating this comment as needed, if possible.

Mater Academy Miami Beach
8625 Byron Avenue, Miami Beach, FL  33141
Last modified Mater Academy Miami Beach is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mater Academy Miami Beach Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top