Terra Environmental Research Institute

Public | 9-12 | 1799 students

Posted October 7, 2012

I disagree with many of the low ratings and comments given to TERRA from parents who appear to be extremely uninformed. As a senior at TERRA i can tell you we're not perfect but when given the choice to go elsewhere TERRA is definitely the place to be. We have two counselors, three assistance principles and a great principle leading the school. Our office staff is very helpful, contrary to what others have commented. I'm a student aid and when anyone come into the office asking for help, they immediately receive it. We are an extremely safe school, our cameras are always on and can be accessed whenever necessary, yet we don't find the need because the student body is always at their best. We have a small level of security and it is more than sufficient. Having the opportunity to have left TERRA countless times, I know I wouldn't preference being elsewhere.

Posted October 7, 2012

TERRA Environmental Research Institute is so far the best school I ever seen!! The Principle is so nice and outgoing with her students. The kids over there dedicate there time to help each other out! There is NO bullying those are just lies that people say. The classrooms are equipped with the latest technological equipment such as multiple computer labs, Promethean boards, classroom surround sound systems, greenhouses, and state-of-the-art research laboratories. TERRA offers a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum accessible to all students in the Miami-Dade County. Everything happens at TERRA with a deep consciousness of our global community, and we consider our students to be future-global problem solvers!!! TERRA's teacher stay after school to help their students and/or if they still need more help they even come during the weekends to help! They dedicated to empower students with the knowledge required to understand and care for the environment and become problem solvers of our global concerns. TERRA provides students with preparation, encouragement and inspiration for higher learning. All I can say is that TERRA IS THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL THERE IS!!!!!!

Posted October 7, 2012

My daughter goes to TERRA and I think she has had more opportunities at a school like TERRA than elsewhere. She's been able to do internships, she's been in a great learning environment with great teachers and student, and never once have I heard her complain about bullying; rather, she loves the school and its people. Not to mention, there are tons of extracurricular activities to get involved in, the school has pep rallies, dances, movie events, etc. Maybe some complain that TERRA's "not like a real high school", but as far as education and safety go, it's a whole lot better than what a "real high school" would be and I feel content sending her to TERRA.

Posted September 20, 2012

This school is an amazing school. Very friendly, no one ever steals or bullies. Very rigorous academics. Many extra-circular activities, involved teachers/staff, and only the best of the best go here, very safe high school - send your child!!!

Posted September 4, 2012

i am a parent looking for a safe high school for my child to attend. next school year. terra was/is in my #1 choice, but after reading commments i am a bit confused. we toured the school last school year inpressed with the classrooms and conduct displayed by the students. i did feel a bit of arrogance by the school principal. wondering if we can have more commnets based on the "other importance" like security, i read bulling, i a comment, traffic, no one assisting in the traffic, student parking lot car vadelism, cameras not working, office staff careless. i am trying to understand, i had a differrent prospective about the school. is it just a public scam?

Posted August 26, 2012

What I've in this page is that every comment that has to do about the reality about the school is gone. No matter how many times someone tries to earse the comments about the truth of this school. Ether way the truth will come out and everyone will know how horrible this school is.

Posted August 21, 2012

Obviously there has been a campaign to increase the school's rating due to confluence of high student ratings with a day or two of one another. This at the start of the school year too. Shame they can't have opinions of their own on separate days. makes you wonder if the school administration is behind this?

Posted August 18, 2012

As a student who has been at Terra for what will be 4 years, I can confidently tell you these negative reviews are radical and extremely biased. This school offers so many outstanding opportunities and coming to this school will look great on college applications. They provide biomedical internships, robotics competitions, and environmental teachers that are the best at what they teach. As far as pep rallies and football team, those aren't NEARLY as important as a GOOD education. If you REALLY want your child to go to a school that has a football team then I'm sorry but that's ridiculous on so many levels. If you think things like your children failing their AP exams make Terra a bad school then you are seriously mistaken. I have heard children complain about how hard their teachers are, and I've even heard that some teachers make their students scared of the AP exam due to how much they exaggerate about the difficulty of it. But with every single kid who has complained, they've ALL passed. This school is definitely the place to send a child who strives for excellence. Terra is a great school and you can trust a student on that.

Posted August 18, 2012

If you want a great social life and an easy time as your high school experience this school is not for you, so transfer out, instead of posting negative comments. It's a choice school for a reason. However if you want a rigorous academic experience that will prepare you for a top university, TERRA is great. Academically the school is extremely advanced when compared to most public high schools in Miami. Of course since the school is new it does have some quirks and problems, but nothing major. As to those who say the school is unsafe, have you ever heard of a fight at TERRA? Probably not. At Killain, Palmetto or most other MDCPS you hear of one every week. We will have a prom, when we have seniors(this year)! We do have clubs, sports and activities but you have to keep in mind that it's an academically focused school! Te academics opportunities are endless, we have students working at biotech labs at FIU, at UM, at Fairchild and the USDA. Point is, we have won more academi competitions than sports games but I love that because I'd rather debate someone than play them in basketball anyday. (I'm not ragging on our sports, they are good and plentiful, they are just not the main focus)

Posted August 17, 2012

First of all I would like to start off by saying, no person nor school is EVER perfect. TERRA is an amazing school with amazing opportunities. It is rare for a student to say such things about a school. TERRA has its quirks and in the process of figuring it out... It has only been open for a good 3 years (going into its 4th) Other schools have been open for decades and still can't get it right. Plus, while reading this you can take the time to ponder about how many times TERRA has been featured on national television, just saying. You can not blame the school for not having some type of sport, or having the occasional bad teacher... Because I assure you, I feel better being a "TERRA NERD" than a nerd from some other school.

Posted August 9, 2012

My son is now a Junior and refuses to transfer. He's 2 yrs ahead in math and 1 yr ahead in science plus all his classes have been Honors or AP. He applied bcs of Robotics but last year decided Engineering is not for him. At Terra he realized his passion is history, politics, current events, etc. This occurred BECAUSE OF HIS TEACHERS and the diverse students at the school. This is not a sports school bcs the students are here for academics. However, they do play sports (volleyball, water polo, etc.) and are trying to start lacrosse. It's a new school so it all takes TIME. Is this the best school? It depends on what you want and what your child makes of it. I think it should be more rigorous and challenging academically but my son disagrees. Thankfully, eligible students can do Dual Enrollment which helps if you feel teachers are not up to par. Clubs, internships, volunteering, college advise, etc. are available if you ask. My son met w/his counselor several times so it's available (email works too). School size w/no bullies is great. Using paper & textbooks at a "green" school is not great. As per my son, Terra is not for everyone but it fits him. If he's happy, I'm happy.

Posted July 21, 2012

Terra has failed to comply with multiple promises made when the school opened. The first graduating class will not receive the industry certifications promised nor the community internships, or creative research projects. The school is very unsafe. They only have two security guards that are not able to supervise lunch or keep an eye on the large campus. The student parking lot is constantly being vandalized and the school adminsitration does not care to protect or do anything about this security problem since Terra's security cameras dont even work. The school adminsitration is never present at school events and games. The principal is a master actress who claims to care about children but after you have had multiple conversations with her, you can easily notice her level of incompetence and lack of confidence. Extracurricular activities are not supervised by any adults. The kids run around the school loose without any adult supervision after 2:30 because the admisnitration leaves the school as soon as the bell rings. They do not offer a healthy social high school life since they dont allow parents to fundraise, no prom, no pep rallies, no homecomming.

Posted July 18, 2012

Terra's student services department needs improvement. They have only one counselor for 1900 students and she is not a pleasant lady. My child is terrified to ask for an appointment and every time I called her she replies with a defensive-passive-agressive tone. My child is about to graduate and no one in the office knows anything about community service hours or graduation requirements. When I reached out to the administration for help they never got back to me. The office personnel is famous for delegating your problems to the next person and never prioritizing the needs of children. The traffic situation in the mornings is a total nightmare. There is no school personnel directing traffic and there are no clear traffic guidelines established. The worse part about Terra is that my child had no books in the AP American History class for 6 months, in the chemistry class and in the Biomedical class. Terra is advertised to be a technology driven school when in reality not even a third of their teachers have websites. It is sad to attend a PTSA meeting. not only does the administration dont show up but the overall parent attendance is of less than 20 people for such a big school.

Posted June 6, 2012

This school is great for kids whose parents want them to stay in a relatively middle school environment with a lot of restrictions that will otherwise keep them in 'their minds' as safe. I'm leaving the school and have appreciated all I have come across but definitely don't want to stay here, as it isn't a developed school- I'm not going to sacrifice my education for the reputation of this school! I don't feel that this is a high school experience or encourages healthy normal ideas of high school. Very obsessed with how they look more than how they REALLY are with the student body! The math department is LACKING as well as the arts, some of the administration is rarely there or don't have a good/any relationship with students, which is very sad- especially come college application time! Think about your choices very carefully before applying here, but it is an okay school, which some good teachers (hit or miss) but definitely, appearances are deceiving...

Posted April 28, 2012

As a part of the 2013 graduating class, my first two (soon to be three) years at TERRA have been fantastic, but with constant, but minor, exceptions. It should be concerning to any parent with a child wanting to go to a school that advertises itself as STEM-oriented, I should assume, to know that a considerable number of educators in those fields are beyond inadequate. Close to all of the mathematics teachers, are extremely unreasonable, arrogant, and incapable of communicating even the most basic of topics to their students; resulting in a very confused, and very frustrated, student with inhibited potential to do well. Furthermore, the school seems to be much more concerned with maintaining its "pseudo-nerd" look than actually doing it. This includes a uniform policy that is both ridiculous and disruptive, as many a time I have seen administrators call down a student in the middle of interacting and taking notes during a class lecture to scold him for wearing a wrong colored shirt for THE REST OF THE CLASS PERIOD. Finally, to those parents who are taking their child, know that it is much more rewarding to be a proud parent of an intellectual than it is to be of a "TERRA NERD."

Posted April 9, 2012

I couldn't say that this is the most amazing school in the world. But honestly, how much fun can you have going to school? There are fun moments and I made a few good friends, but to be honest Terra isn't very different from other high schools I've seen. I will however note one thing: A decent portion of Terra students are above average (many taking math or science a year above grade level, some two years ahead. For example Most students of my Geometry class are freshmen while my science class is mostly sophomores) but that is not a very big issue at Terra. The most complaints I see are for uniforms and the lack of social lives. First of all most people I know don't even care about the uniforms, while a lot of students would rather have a choice as to what to wear you don't see anyone rioting in the halls about it. (Though the jacket policy in the winter is almost always an issue as administration is notorious for taking jackets to the office if they aren't school colors AND if they don't have logos) As far a social events, we just got juniors this year. Can you imagine how lame a prom would be with only freshmen and sophomores? If you have some good friends you can *(Continued)*

Posted March 19, 2012

As a parent Iam very HAPPY to have my son attending to Terra. This a GREAT School with a wonderful teachers. The principal Ms. Montano is the BEST!!!!!

Posted March 16, 2012

There are many good options for high schoolers in the area - homeschool + dual enrollment, FLVS, SAS, charter schools, etc., but my child chose this school. Because I do not favor the school, only respect my child's right to make educational choice, I think I am unbiased. Here's what I know: The magnet strand teachers are good to awesome; the principal strikes me as phony and political,hiring friends from her previous school,hence the poor math and (some, not all) science teachers; foreign languge teachers (average); social science teachers (good), security (good);english teachers (average-good); uniform code (Rediculous. Excessively strict, and if the students can pay a dollar to wear jeans, it seems more about control or payoff than security, and even less about equality. Also not about less distraction or more dignity as evident by the skimpy outfits cheerleaders are encouraged to wear to class.); gifted classes (just more homework, not more in-depth study); and I don't know about after school activities, as my child spends most after school time doing homework., which includes self- teaching math concepts that the inept math teachers actually make MORE confusing. Choice.

Posted February 29, 2012

I am in the first graduating class of 2013 at TERRA I think this is a great school that offers many opportunities for students to excel ignore previous rudimentary comments by student who only care about having a football team or more sports, because last time I checked one does not go to school to learn about sports or be in sports one goes to school to learn, so to any parent looking for a good school for their child to go to I would highly recommend TERRA specially now that it has been viewed as the number one magnet school in the US( correct me if I'm wrong just herd about this yesterday :3). The teachers are amazing and are always after school to help their students if help is needed, the staff in general is wonderful. and we also have amazing variety of electives to chose from. So far our school has not had any fights and as far as I am concerned there is very little if no bulling at TERRA. We also have a wide variety of sports such as Water polo, cross country, basketball, baseball , swimming, tennis, badminton, and hopefully next year lacrosse which I look forward to. So I would definitely recommend TERRA.

Posted February 11, 2012

I am a parent of a sophomore at this school. I have to agree with parts of all previous post. This school has many excellent teachers, however, it is lacking in the arts and other healthy high school experiences. My daughter is in the gifted classes and for the most part she has excellent teachers, however she did have a very rude chemistry teacher her first year, unfortunately that is part of the real world. I was surprised to learn this school has no auditorium and that is extremely poor planing. Even old high schools in less than desirable areas have an auditorium, where students can perform plays, receive awards and perform musical recitals, etc. On a different note I have to say my daughter hasn't experienced any bullies or any type of social problem, she isn't popular girl, but still hasn't had a altercations. The reason I haven't removed my child from this is school is because it is small and I don't want her to have to start over somewhere else. Advice to principal and staff reading this, remember this is the time for these kids to get prepared but also to have some fun and special moments through high school years. Life is already stressful, let them enjoy themselves.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

457 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

520 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

519 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

438 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

n/a
Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

388 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• French
  • German
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options