1,803 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)

As an educator myself, I feel the school fully met my expectations. It is a safe school conducive to learning. It has all the materials, trained teachers, reputation and activities that a student needs to succeed; in other words, to enter into college. It is the student's responsibility to take advantage of all that is offered to him or her. As for this out of the box thing, students and people that succeed have the ability to go out of the box and know when to go inside it . You need the balance of both. Unpleasantness is everywhere. In order to experience goodness , the bad must come with it. As for teachers, they are human beings, not robots. They have their good days and bad days just like we parents do and students as well. Sometimes, its a whole year- its the human condition. Overall, as a parent of a recent graduate, I'm totally satisfied , the school did a great job with my child. By the way , she was not a stellar student, her choice! The graduation ceremony was classy and lastly, Ms. Carrie Montana should be awarded an honorary degree from a university for the exemplary work she has done with this school. Sincerely, thank you.

Love the safety and security Terra offers my son, special thanks to the Administration for the personalized support

I hope you read this before you send your child here. I was also blinded by the “Terra Fame” and quickly realized this school is not what it seems. This school caused by child unnecessary stress, this school caused her to think she was No good, that she did not matter. This school is not what is seems AT ALL! Yes you have a few teachers (3) that are Amazing, But the bad ones out weight the good ones sadly. The counselors are the worst I have ever experienced! I did not meet the principal because quite frankly, I had enough of seeing my child get Depressed ,Discouraged and Isolated. That I Just yanked her out of this school for her own Well-being. The Algebra 2 Honors teacher is the worst teacher ,I have ever encountered . As simply well put ,she reads the Instruction Manual to the Kids on how to do Math But doesn’t actually “Teach” them. She is too Busy Coaching to have parent teacher conferences. And only offers a 7 am -7:15 window, in which prepare yourself ..She will RUN out of the meeting as soon as the bell rings. (100% UNPROFESSIONAL)! Check everyone your child is assigned to Mentor and Teach them since you cannot Make/Request changes. My most memorable moment in all of this is a counselor Telling my child she could not write her Exact words as to the reason why she was leaving Terra ( The Math Teacher). Instead the counselor wrote whatever and said that she “Could not toss that teacher under the Bus”. If you are Unlucky enough to have this teacher Prepare yourself to Pay a tutor to teach your kid Math since this math teacher doesn’t actually teach. And if your Child is doing bad in her class she offers Virtual school, so another teacher can do her job for her During her class. How this can happen simply baffles me. And this is not the only teacher that makes the students sign up for Virtual School to teach a subject the Actual teacher should be teaching in Class! RIDICULOUS ! I hope you read this before you send your child here. Not only for your child’s sake but for your own.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers will advise students to enroll in virtual school for the same subject they are supposed to be teaching.

This school doesn't care about the students. It starts from the principal who sets the tone and atmosphere for the rest of staff to follow. I have to agree that this school doesn't foster talented and gifted students. They're more about conformance and fear for not following rules. They tell you to "think outside the box", but they have fixed "the box" with rigidity and no flexibility or room for growth. Beware for those of you new students who will start this school year: there is a good reason for all the bad reviews. You WILL face many of the problems reviewers have posted about. And many of the students there are not happy. I'm hoping to transfer my student out next year.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Students are bombarded with many hours of homework daily and many take home projects that don't add to learning.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I don't think this school develops any of these character strengths. Many students already have these.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

From my experience as a student in this school, and one who puts forth maximum effort and tries to be involved, I have had, like in any place, good and bad teachers. There's teachers that are inspiring and everyone knows who they are. There's teachers that are ok;they get the job done. Then there's teachers that really don't know what they're doing, and like the good teachers, everyone knows who they are. Make sure that when selecting your classes you inquire about the teachers and the challenges you may faces. Overall, most teachers will be in the "ok" spectrum, an you will then have some bad and a few good. Thinking of it in positive terms, some of the schools that current students of TERRA try to escape, mostly have bad or poor teachers, very few that are ok, and barely any that are good. It never gets too bad or impossible to deal with!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Some teachers, I must admit, go a little over board on homework. It would be good to discuss that and get to an agreement of when too much is too much.

As a freshman here, I have to admit I despised this place. Being involved in a few clubs and with the challenging classes I was taking, I felt disappointed thinking that this place was not meeting my expectations. The first few months took adjustment, and sometimes I would go home crying or stressed. I must say you should give this place a chance. It does get better once you give it the opportunity.

Last modified Terra Environmental Research Institute is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.