Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 1,799

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 05, 2015
The kids here are some of the most outstanding I have ever seen from any school. They are constantly pushing themselves and each other to go farther and farther, and they are always succeeding. It's a lot but in the end, I think it's worth it when you're accepted into Princeton, Georgia Teach, Stanford, NYU, UPenn, etc.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 05, 2015
I have had my fair share of teachers here, some GREAT, most good, and a few bad. Most of the time, kids here are spoiled and have always had everything handed to them. It's different in high school; especially a high school as prestigious as TERRA. Most kids fail to see the teacher's side to everything, and I know because I've done it too. A lot of these teachers live for their students and strive to give them the best education. I know more teachers than I can count on my fingers and toes combined that come early and leave late, just to go home and continue grading essays, tests, and papers all through the weekend so that the student can have their paper back within a day or two. I have come across many teachers who are always going out of their way to help a student succeed. They'll even call home and talk to a parent if something is wrong because they ACTUALLY care, believe it or not. I guarantee you will not find that at Killian. All in all, students most of the time are the ones that are wrong when it comes to teachers/workload. I know because I have had a lot of the teachers that students talk bad about and I actually think the world of them because I know how hard they work to do the best job they can possibly do.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 05, 2015
Okay, to the parents complaining: You should know many teachers here are the fairest I have seen. While some are absolutely ridiculous, the 2 or 3 that assign crazy amounts of homework don't make up the entire staff here at TERRA. It all depends on what kind of classes your child is taking. Also, most teachers that assign "ridiculous" amounts of homework give the kids plenty of time and the students just wait until the last minute to fall on their face and blame the school. If your child is taking an AP class, THERE WILL BE WORK!!! Do not be mistaken. This is a tough school but it's what you child signed up for. Also, there are NO regular classes offered here; only Honors and AP.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
The kids here can be downright cruel. Since most kids do come from private school, they are rich and popular. Since I'm neither of these, it was a little hard for me to fit in for a while. You just need to stand up for yourself. DON'T count on administration to do anything about it!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
I think this school/administration sets a terrible example for all of the above, but if your child is in high school you as a parent should have taught them all of the above by now. If they don't have it now, they probably never will.

Terra Environmental Research Institute 3

Posted June 05, 2015
There's a lot of good and bad with TERRA. The worst of the worst about it is BY FAR the RUDE administration. Not only the counselors, but especially the APs and Prinicpal herself! It's embarrassing how terribly they treat the students. Since the school is the superintendent's baby, they pretty much get away with anything and are able to easily cover any scandal up, such as their multiple drug busts and arrests that have occurred this school year alone. There is one AP who doesn't show up to his job EVER and when we are graced with his presence, he is extremely rude and disrespectful. The same goes for the principal. To say there is no bullying at TERRA whatsoever is ridiculous, since the bullying here is some of the worst I have seen in my years. Sure, there may not be physical issues here (fights) but the kids here are downright CRUEL. I would know because I have experienced this. Keep in mind most kids that come to TERRA come from private school, so some will be rude and snotty! The school is ridiculous on many levels and over hyped, but there is still a lot of good to this school. I couldn't find another school with so many graduates attending schools such as MIT, Stanford, Duke, NYU, and every Ivy League school. To say this school is not a "sports" school would be a radical statement considering we are back-to-back district champions in both Girls Swimming and Girls Volleyball and GMAC champions in Boys Bowling (this year alone). While I will agree that some teachers are downright AWFUL, we do have some of the BEST there are. Honestly, my freshman year was one of the worst years of my life. I was absolutely miserable, but I'm so happy I stuck around. It has gotten SO much better than I ever thought it would. If you're a freshman/parent, just know this: IT WILL GET BETTER. Don't get hyped up and have a miserable freshman year and leave. I was more excited than anyone to come to TERRA and had one of the worst years. But I stuck around and found my niche and while sometimes I absolutely hate it here, I couldn't be happier than I am now. My advice: If you are a freshman and hate it, stick around for your sophomore year. If it doesn't get not even a LITTLE better by then, just go to SAS. My sophomore year wasn't great even though it was a little better, but my junior year is where high school really picked up for me, so just give it some time!

Terra Environmental Research Institute 1

Posted April 20, 2015
Terra has unfortunately disappointed us. My biggest regret is that I didn't pay more attention to the negative reviews on this site. There are good reasons for them. It has been a miserable year for my freshman. The above mentioned algebra 2 teacher is beyond ridiculous with the amount of homework that is regularly assigned. There's something seriously wrong with a school that expects still growing and developing teenagers to sacrifice sleep due to all the busy work they have to take home. I'm sure none of the teachers or administrators take home so much work that they sleep 3-4 hours a night. But this is sadly what is done to the students here. My daughter has practically had to teach the subject to herself all year. Don't let the outward appearance deceive you. The reality is that the students are unhappy there. I believe the only reason it has good test scores is because there are many bright and gifted students that attend. The administrators don't really do much despite multiple complaints from parents. There may be a few good teachers there but most of them are just downright awful.

Terra Environmental Research Institute 3

Posted October 03, 2014
I can tell you. I'm a freshman and I have been here for a little less than 2 months and I absolutely hate it. The algebra 2 teacher is ridiculous and gives pounds of homework even after she had a fight with some parents at open house (including mine.) The counselor Mrs. Miller is very arrogant and likes to make the incoming freshman feel horrible, I know I felt that way. She would not let me take AP World History because I had a 'B' in my U.S History class in the 8th grade. The principal could care less, and administration and staff are incompetent. The BioMedical teacher is the only good teacher. I certainly hope all parents out there realize that TERRA is just a screen. The principal only cares about her precious school. The school lacks the arts and only has a 6 class schedule. I feel that TERRA is okay, not anything special. I should have gone to Coral Reef. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS SCHOOL IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY IT IS, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND DON'T LOOK BACK
17 people found this helpful

Terra Environmental Research Institute 5

Posted September 08, 2014
This is a great school, but it depends what you are looking for..... This is a school that focus that your child have the highest motivation , education and aptitute to assist to the best universities. If your child wants to play a sport and/or if he/she is competitive in one sport, this school is not for him/her. There are sports to participate but not in a competitive way. There are no many activities like other school. For my children, is the best school that I can choose!!!

Terra Environmental Research Institute 1

Posted August 25, 2014
This school is all HYPE HYPE HYPE!. They make it out to be much better than it really is. The teachers are inexperienced. The counslers are the worst and the prinicipal only looks out for herself. My son was taking dual enrollment classes that were picked by the counslers and they were all wrong and was not able to get credits for them! People it is not what you think. There are masses of students consistently leaving the school daily. My kids were miserable and they Do Not learn anything. I thought my kids would be so happy but life is too short to have your kids and yourself unhappy. People I say Run, Run and Run.

11005 Southwest 84th Street, Miami, FL  33173
Last modified Terra Environmental Research Institute is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Terra Environmental Research Institute Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top