Academir Charter School West

Charter | K-5 | 618 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 18, 2014

The worst school ever they do not help the kids when they made a mistake when the kids made a mistake the destroyed then I don't have words to described how they treat the kids they do not educated they destroy their life. Think twice before enrolled your kids .

Posted July 15, 2013

My daughter attends Academir Charter School West since Kinder. From day one, the enitre staff has done an extrodinary job of teaching and developing skills as she matriculates through these very formative years of her education. I take pride in knowing she is being challenged on a dialy basis.

Posted July 11, 2013

I absolutely love this school and the teachers! My daughter was in 3rd grade this year and her teachers Mrs. Fernandez and Ms. Nunez were phenomenal. They updated all parents through their website, motivated the students, and always took the extra step to help the children. I couldn't be happier than how I was this school year. 100% of their students passed the FCAT which is impressive and it is a reflection of their hard work and dedication. As for the parent comments below, they are false. Some parents' expectations are crazy and they think they can bully teachers and administrators to getting their way, There are so many wonderful things about this school: after-school enrichment programs, great teachers, wonderful students, a clean, safe environment, positive reinforcement, etc. Keep up the great work Academir!

Posted June 5, 2013

I DON'T HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS SCHOOLS SINCE I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF PROGRESS WITH MY DAUGTHER. THEY ARE A GREAT TEAM.

Posted June 4, 2013

If there was an option for zero stars I would click that....Academir charter school west is disgusting they hand pick kids whom have exellent academic grades to keep there overall school grade an A. My son attended this school they told me he could not cime back the following school because of his grades being to low not only is that the meanest thing to do to a child but its illeagle. They also told me they where retaining him and that there was no possible way he would be able to advance to the next grade..... We ended up moving so I withdrew him from this nightmare of a school and I transferred him to a regular public school which by the way has been an A school since they openeded. Academir explained to them that he was being retained.So I had a meeting with the school regarding this matter and they said that his testing where good and his grades where not failing grades and that it would be illeagle to retain him so they told me it was up to me if I wantes him to be retained... Over all my experience at Academir was well I sont have any decent words to explain how I feel

Posted June 3, 2013

This school is an exelent institution where the kids are in a very good learning environment supported by all teachers and staff

Posted April 10, 2013

My son is currently in first grade in Academir. He started last year in Kindergarten. I am extremely happy with the progress he has made in this school. His kindergarten teacher was amazing as is his first grade teacher. He has a behavior chart to keep me informed of his behavior and a log in his notebook for communication with his teacher, which works very well. I have read some negative comments and its disappointing. I am curious to see what parents expect? In my experience with two different teachers, communication has been great. No, you cannot just walk into class and talk to them (which I think is a great security measure and a way to avoid annoying parents) but you can email, leave messages, write notes, etc. I have never had to wait more than a day for a response. Also, my son has severe allergies and they are very attentive to that. As far as academics goes, they are doing great. They are an A school and do put a lot of emphasis on reading. The only thing I wish they had was a gifted program, but I still have hope they will open that soon.

Posted November 30, 2012

Poor communication, nobody ever listen to the problems the kids have, kids get punish for anything and everything leaving kids afraid to express themself for fear of punishment, teachers with low or none skills to deal with kids, derogative comments from teachers to students all the time, administration always protecting teachers so they don't get in trouble with the school board, in fact the overall attitude has gone down from one school year to the next, having half of the staff change in just one year.

Posted October 30, 2012

Excellent academic program, safe and positive learning environment. Students are highly engaged and teachers and administration are very professional. Thank you!

Posted August 19, 2012

Im very happy with the school my child did so great!! on first grade THE TEACHER ARE VERY GOOD!! I BLESS MRS MIRANDA ,my child enjoyed comming to this school

Posted June 20, 2012

My children enjoyed comming to this school. Whenever I had a concern they listen and acted quickly. My son has made more gains in this school year than the past three at another public school. My kindergarden daughter is reading books with ease. The teacher's are passionate and truly treat each child as if it were their own. The principle is very involved and knows my children's name out of 600. She lets them know how special they are and how well they are doing. I expected excellence and got it!

Posted June 7, 2012

Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. There were some parents that were obsessive meddlers (you probably have seen them at your school- nothing makes them happy). I have seen several of them throughout the year and luckily some have left as they can be very distracting from the educational environment. I have heard and it will be reported shortly they have received a state A rating. I am so happy with the results I have seen with my child and the progress he has made. For a first year school this is a great accomplishment in my opinion. I have found the administration and the teachers to be good listeners and genuinely concerned about the students progress.

Posted June 6, 2012

Academir has been a great disappointment from the start of the school year. I believe the administration and Board of Directors are in way over their heads, with little to no experience in running a 600+ enrollment population. As well as the teachers, they are unprofessional and need to learn classroom management skills and how to respectfully speak to parents. As the scores released today from the FDOE indicate, what I already knew from the beginning, they are ill-prepared to teach the Sunshine State Standards and have very little to no resources in order for the students to excel. It has been a grave mistake taking my son out of his school in this vital 3rd grade year. They are getting away with the 4th grade writing due to the FDOE lowering their standards, other than that they have a median score of 60% passing, which in no way shape or form can be referred to as an "excellent" school as so many proclaim. My son is going right back to his home school which scored in the 90th percentile and has nothing to envy Academir for. I hope that parents do their homework carefully before choosing this school for their child. Parents - Expect Disappointment!

Posted June 6, 2012

This school is fantastic, and I don't understand the negative reviews at all. Everyone is extremely dedicated, the teachers are true professionals, and the staff and administration are caring and run the school wonderfully. All of the special events are fantastic, and academically my son has excelled. As a matter of fact, their scores were well above the school district and state averages. Thank you Academir for a great school that my son loves!

Posted June 6, 2012

My son started his 2nd grade year at Academir. Between the teachers and administration, I felt involved and appreciated. I was always aware of my child's progress and he (for the first time ever) woke up and got dressed eager to attend school, at times he would have me waiting after dismissal because he did not want to leave. My son will continue his elementary, and middle school journey with Academir, and hopefully high school. I feel this academic year was more than they promised, and I am a proud Academir Parent. I expected greatness and recieved nothing less than excellence.

Posted June 5, 2012

My son attended the kindergarten at Academir and I can tell you that I had an excellent experience. The teachers and the staff are very professional and they make sure parents are involve in school which I think that is very important. My son already knows how to do math and he can read an entire book by himself. I definitely recommend this charter school.

Posted January 4, 2012

I am totally disappointed in Academir. I am not impressed with academics as the school sells itself. My daughter went to JR Thomas and was receiving a much better education. It was a bad decision to change her from schools. Academir had promised to pen the gifted class and they lied as so far no gifted classes have been opened. The after-school care is horrible. All the kids stay together and no emphasis is given in homework. Anyone can pick up kids and no ID is requested. I am also very concern about the traffic that the school has created in the morning. It will get worst as the school will be opening middle school next school year. I do not think that Academir has experience handling a larger volume of students as a school is very different to running a daycare. I am very disappointed in this school.

Posted June 3, 2011

I would like to know more about Academir Charter School West. If you have your child there please let us know if you are happy with the school. Thank you.

Posted May 26, 2011

This school is very focused on academics. The material they are teaching is advanced and pushes the children to their maximum potential. My 1st grader is multiplying and dividing!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

61 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2010-2011.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Asian N/A 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 9%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14880 SW 26th St