181 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Everyone is extremely friendly. The learning environment for the children is very positive, productive, and parent friendly. The staff are always greeting the parents with smiles and pleasant faces. My daughter is also learning A LOT. I am looking forward to the future of the school. I definitely recommend this school to parents and family members who live in or near the surrounding area.

This past year was my first year in this school and I was truly impressed. Can't wait for this upcoming school year specially with the new expansion

Wonderful teachers and staff, specifically Civic's teacher. Great school!!!!!! My two daughters have learned a lot

Our son has been with Mater Grove Academy since the school's beginning. As parents should, we work side by side with him and the school. He has "A" and "B" grades, not only because the teachers are great but because we are doing our part as well. It is not easy to be an Honor Roll student at Mater Grove Academy. Today we are blessed to be part of a "family" of the school. I'm glad that our community of Coconut Grove has another choice for our kids. Reduced class room crowding is one benefit. In the four years, the school has grown in enrollment and maturity. Now it is about to take a giant step forward with its own new 5 story building with beautiful and comfortable classrooms. We thank the Principal and the teachers for their hard work and dedication, not only to the school but to their students. As a result, Mater Grove is now an "A" school. I recommend Mater Grove Academy since I see how they are growing, step by step, and strong. I encourage all the parents who want their kids to be successful to consider Mater Grove Academy as a strong candidate. The Allens

My son has been in MGA since day one. After 3 years of private, traditional pre-school, we were concerned to transfer our 5 years old to a recently open public school. It was the best decision we took! For the first time, our son is motivated to go to school every day, he has become a honor rol roll student and loves his teachers. Principal and teachers are totally devoted to the school and the kids. They are always open to talk and have a smile for you. You can see they love what they do... And we love the school. As several people complained before, there are some issue that must be corrected ASAP. 40 kids in one room it's not the best learning environment, especially when the students are from 5 to 10 years old. Even with 2 teachers per class. I believe MGA is already working on it.

This school is a mess, as evidenced by the constant stream of teachers who quit every year. The turn over rate is crazy. Our second year at this school more than half of the staff left and the following year again, the best teachers quit. They claim to be a school with "co-teachers" which is 2 teachers in a class with 40 students but my kids have both told me that when one of the teachers is teaching the other always goes to run errands and is not in the classroom. The school secretary is a really mean lady who is always disrespecting parents and has made many students cry. She once yelled at me for forgetting to send a $10 check for a t-shirt even though I said I would come drop it off. They ALWAYS ask for money from students and don't have anything to show for it. Where is all the money going? There is no real cafeteria and classrooms are small for 40 kids. The principal is always running around in short inappropriate dresses and doesn't know how to run school. I think this school needs new management and restructuring and then it will be better

All I have to say is that the family is very happy with the school, there are some areas where they have to improve, but they are working on it. The principal and the staff are friendly, the teachers are well prepared, the campus is excellent for sports. My son has been there for two years now, Kinder and 1st grade. the level of education is good.

My son entered in Kindergarten for the 2014-2015 school year. Like most parents I wanted to choose a school that would not only allow him to expand his mind but that would also challenge him along the way. The kindergarten teachers have done that and more. They're very organized, on top of all things, involved in every single aspect of the kids' day, and more. The Kinder teachers are in one word amazing! The only thing that worried me in the beginning was the amount of kids in the classroom but they do have 2 teachers which allows a ratio of about 18:1. You probably wouldn't even notice the amount of kids in the class due to the attention these teachers show to the individual student. Communication with parents is great, we get emails for everything that is going on and also responses fairly quickly to any concerns. Does every school not need a little improvement? Yes! But I'd say for Mater Grove its a more cosmetic one, the school staff is excellent!

MGA Review Part 1 - Those not familiar with Mater Grove Academy should know that it is a new school with "growing pains". They are limited with space at this time and student enrollment has increased, resulting in crowded classrooms and increased teacher workload. There is unconfirmed information that additional classrooms (a new building) will be added by the 2016 school year. It is true that the student mix in the classrooms seems to be a difficult task for the teachers. It is unfortunate that at this time there can't be separate classes for less and more gifted students but they can not accomplish that at this time. Don't blame the teachers if you feel they are dedicating more time to the less gifted. Attention to those with the most need would be a teacher's most important task. Unfortunately most parents there probably can not afford private tutors. As to the complaint about the more gifted students being "bored, with nothing to do" and "dumbed down homework." My view is that you can not expect teachers to do everything for your child. It's your job as a parent to take up the slack.

I belong to MGA from the beginning, I'm a mother who has always been aware of what happens at school, I really enjoy being active and helping one hundred percent as I could. Next school year we're not going to MGA, for location reasons, I will be going to a school that is 5 minutes from my house. I do not understand why so much negativity towards a service that we receive as parents. instead of complaining about so many things, why not act and do something for the school, take action, do something positive for the school. The school is always open and they let us help, and they need our help. I'm tired of so many complaints! please! instead of giving complaints, ACT! Diana Lozano

Last modified Mater Grove Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 1-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.