Miami, FL

Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts 4

Posted February 24, 2015
My daughter has never been happier in a school as she is in Mays. Every morning she wakes up with enthusiasm and eager to go to school. I love the fact that she is able to experience chorus, dance, and drama since she is currently enrolled in the theatre program. I also love that the classes are small and the middle school counselor and faculty seem to really care about the students. However I have a problem with certain teachers who seem to be condescending, and disorganized. I have complained about this teacher several times, and when I speak to other parents I get multiple complains from that particular teacher as well. Nothing has been done about this. If a teacher does not want to teach or has a hard time teaching, understanding, and tolerating certain types of children (children with ADD, ADHD, DYSLEXIA) then they should not be teaching at all or at least they should get reprimanded!

Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts 1

Posted January 30, 2015
When my son was picking which middle school to attent the main thing that made him pick Mays was that it was said in the orientation that the broadcasting equipment was meant for students to use. But they didn't especified it was for high school students only. When he found out weeks later after classes had started was too late to transfer to another magnet school. Although I encorage my son to continue doing his best the news was a BIG disappointment for him and has affected his grades. Now he don't have the grades to be accepted at some of the schools he had the opportunity to pick before going into Mays. Very disappointed with this school. Why lie to students just to get them to go to your school?

Posted January 10, 2015
The school is wonderful. The teachers really care. What I love the most about the school is that my child's classes are very small. At first I was scared because of the neighborhood and the 6-12 grade model, but there has been no problems. She really loves it there, so I really love it there too.
2 people found this helpful

Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts 4

Posted December 29, 2014
This is a school where everybody knows everybody. Some of the kids are expressive but, that's to be expected at a conservatory. I realized this was a great school when the teachers knew almost as much about my kids as I did in just a short amount of time. The principle knows the names of every single kid and the parents as well. Most of the office staff that I've met have been able to answer all of my questions and if it was something that wasn't familiar to them or they couldn't give me an exact answer, I was put in contact with someone who could. It's small and very family like and that works great for one of my daughters whom is very shy. This school is a diamond in the ruff and it continues to strive for "EXCELLENCE".

Posted January 17, 2014
It is like a small private school. The best hidden secret. They are a 100% Magnet School for the Arts, all of them including Chorus, Orchestra, Band, Drama, Creative Writing, Broadcasting, Sound Engineering, Dance and Art. It is in an old building but there is definitely a "cool factor" to it. The teachers are very knowledgable and teach at a much higher grade level. It's an A grade school.

Posted August 27, 2013
This school keeps getting better, and is an "A" school in 2013! In addition to the emphasis on the visual and performing arts, they offer many Advanced Placement and Honors classes in the core curriculum, and students are encouraged to earn community service hours in a variety of ways, which helps students become well-rounded and prepared for their lives beyond high school. The staff is supportive and works together to help students acheive. As the principal often says, this school is aMAYSing. With increasing enrollment numbers and more students applying at this magnet school, students have to fulfill their academic and behavioral obligations or risk being returned to their 'home school,' which is bound to keep increasing the level of talent, achievement, and recognition here. Go rams!

Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts
11700 Southwest 216th Street, Miami, FL  33170
Last modified Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arthur And Polly Mays Conservatory Of The Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top