No rating

St Michael-Archangel School

Private | PK-8

Living in Miami

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $80,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted November 13, 2013

I am putting this review to advice parents. St Michael is the worst school in the entire world. My daughter was only three weeks there and I could not be worst. Very poor academic contest, asking for money every day and using the name of the church and the Catholicism to apparent something different as they really are.

Posted September 11, 2013

My husband attended St Michael the Archangel School 40 years ago and sill maintains close friendships with the kids he met in kindergarten. We have had the same experience with our two daughters, the oldest graduated last year and went on to LaSalle High School. The teachers are caring and take time with each child. The principal goes beyond what just required and will go out and get special program for children who need it. The coaching staff is great, positive attitudes while training to win at the same time and to win or lose with grace. Would recommend to anyone. Call them, they have many financial aid plans if needed and you will find you get a quality education and have children who graduate with high grades, good attitudes and religious spirits. Please go there if at all possible, you won't regret it. Your child will be safe and loved during the day so you will have no need to worry when they are away from you. Ipads have been instituted for middle school 6-8 to keep the kids up to date-no more books! The computer lab is high tech teaching them to use modern technology before they get to the iPad. Church is weekly and interesting for them.

Posted March 7, 2013

Former Student: This school lacked competive curriculum and had no sense of standards when it came to any aspect of a civilized private school. Many friends of mine, whom I met in High School, excelled further in their studies due to there strong foundations made and nurtured in other private institutions. For example, St. Teresa in Coral Gables, provided a strong curriculum and well-mannered environment that transformed children into young and proper adults. St. Michael's fails where most private schools succeed. Teachers lack knowledge, most with only basic college degrees or no degrees at all. Even the school lunches lack in benefits. School Lunch, in a private school, is suppose to feed its students in an organic and healthy manner. Providing salads and meals with low calorie intakes are crucial for the healthy well-being of its students. Overall, there's no positive energy or any positive aspects for the matter.

Posted October 28, 2011

I do admit the teachers and faculty is good, but they do not know how to resolve major problems like head lice. I also had my son in SMA from PK4 to 3rd grade and my daughter from kinder to 3rd now.I have now taken my son out and put him into a public school and he was behind from SMA. The teachers at the public school was shocked at how little he knew compaired to other 4th graders. Now that he is the 5th grade at a public school he is up to date. My niece was there too and she said when she was in 8th grade there that she was being taught everything she knew from 6th grade. SMA is more worried about religion then studies. My daughters 3rd grade class has 32 kids and one teacher. My sons public school has only 22 kids. You decide what is better. For me if I could take my daughter out of this school I would. It is not worth any amount of money. They could tell me I could bring my kids there for free and I would not.

Posted August 16, 2010

Great family environment... great learning gains... fantastic teachers... special area classes are fun and engaging... the sports program is fair and the religious education is strong.

Posted June 3, 2009

SMA is changing and I see a bright future for our children. Textbooks are being updated, the school is now on Edline for better communication and it has been wired with access to the internet. Some things still have to change such as better looking classrooms with updated materials such as classroom libraries and manipulatives for math and more computers in the classrooms. I also feel that the overall atmosphere is not too warm with the students. Discipline needs to be enforced with nurturing strategies and not with punishment the way is being done now. Teachers lack flexibility. The principal is great, she addresses problems effectively and in a timely manner. The counselor is also fantastic. She is in tune with the students needs. More in-service for teachers would be beneficial so they can learn new up to date strategies to solve discipline issues.

Posted March 10, 2009

My son studied from Kinder to 5th Grade in St Michael. I registered first in a private school with just 3 children in the Kinder class because I knew he was special. It was a disaster. He got out of control after one month, the teacher was so bad. It was a different story in St Michael, they made him feel as family. They were so affectionate with my son. He did so well, and he always got between 97%-tile and 99%-tile in the Iowa test. He got all the foundations in this great school. I change him in middle school just because he wanted to be more challenged in the classes to another great school.

Posted July 26, 2008

I attended this school back in the late 70's early 80's and even had my children attend the school to a total disappointment. I was very excited when I was able to have them attend the same school as I wisshed that they would have had the great experience that I did. Unfortunately I do not have one good thing to say about the school other than my children made some very good friends there. The staff is in adequate and never able to attend to your needs. The teachers are not qualified to be teaching and maybe a couple if that are actually ceretified teachers! Nothing that I would recommend to any one.

Posted February 12, 2008

I have both of my kids here. Fifth and Kinder the more time goes by I am happy I made the decision to have them there. The school has the best staff ever from the Principal to the Volunteers. They are really focused in making the kids school experience a fullfilling one not forgeting the main goal fine Catholic Education.

Posted January 17, 2008

My son graduated from this school last year and daughter is now in 6 grade both started this school since pre-kinder. I must say that this school is the best I have ever seen. The school principal, office staff and the teachers especially the middle school teachers, they're great! Thanks SMA Maria Garcia

Posted September 21, 2007

My son is currently attending 8th grade at the school and I feel that some of the courses are mentally stimulating and some are a bit lacking. I think that the individual teacher is what makes or breaks it for them. Basically...I'm glad he experienced this way of learning and he made a couple of lifetime friends as well.

Posted September 14, 2007

I think this is a great school, filled with teachers and staff members that enjoy what they do, and are all qualified to teach. I have two boys that attend the school, and I couldnt be any happier. This school provides the foundation for our future leaders in a catholic enviroment. Great parent involement opportunities throughout the school year and mass attendence is highly encouraged.

Posted June 1, 2007

I sent my child to St.Michael, and the experience was horrible. My child attended the school for 2 years, 7th and 8th grades. The teachers don't and didn't pay sufficient attention to the student's needs. When trying to contact the office or pricipal I was told to call 30 min later, each time, or I was put on hold. The school collects money for purposes that other school never require. My child had failed a certain class because the teacher never explained anything. I hope no one ever has to go through this horrible expeirnce, such as I did.

Posted December 23, 2005

This is the best time my kids have had in school, teachers are excellent! care for the student catholic education, great parent involvement, just the right school for your children.

Posted September 8, 2003

I am glad to have my child in this school, and the teachers really care about him. There is a wonderful and excellent teacher in the Reading Center who helped to my son a lot, children love her.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
Associations
  • FACCS
Fax number
  • (305) 649-5867

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Miami

• Theory

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Northwest 28th Avenue