No rating

St Brendan Catholic High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Posted May 4, 2014

STBHS is a fantastic school with wonderful educators. My daughter is a sophomore and she loves attending this school. It is very good academically and there are many different clubs/activities for students to get into.

Posted February 22, 2014

Now I srsly hate how some people are putting this really bad reviews about this school. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL, for. The student point of view nothing had changed, yea and what some teachers left BUT THATS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. From what I have heard from THE PRINCIPAL ITSELF in the open house, the academies would be added next year for the '18 freshmen class and for the current freshmen to start next year. and then if your child is is getting drunk high or whatever it's happening they should think over their relations and the friends they have not blame the school!! No school is "stalking" a student's personal life, after all, a lot of stuff have changed in the past years and I'm not talking about the school but abut society in General so yea. Also stop saying some of this reviews are fake bc in really done with you people.

Posted August 3, 2013

This school was a very fine school once. However, since the big change in 2012 it has been a school based on false promises. Many of its best teachers have left, which is a bad sign when a school starts to do badly. They want the school to be like Belen, Columbus, or Lourdes, which will never happen. St. Brendan was a special school designed to serve a special student. The administration is working hard to change the image of the school into one of excellence, which will never happen. Most of the good reviews here are fake and written by them. If you want to go to a good school like Belen, Columbus, or Lourdes, then go to those schools and not St. Brendan. One teacher (who is still there and confided to me) told me that the teachers rat out each other and that the administration favors some and not others. I noticed some of those teachers posted a good review here. This of course has caused major problems and it shows in the level of education they are now giving the students.

Posted August 2, 2013

STBHS isn't what it used to be, and that means different things to different people. If you attended before 2012, you may recall the unique, warm atmosphere where students of all socioeconomic levels fit in. There was a place for the shy ones, the nerdy ones, the wholesome ones, and even those who were a bit rough around the edges. The bright students would succeed in AP/honors classes, and the not-so-bright ones would somehow find their own way. Students felt comfortable and loved. Much has changed with this new "vision." It began with a few tweaks, and then it went completely overboard...the school's unique personality and culture perhaps getting lost among the way. Some might argue that STBHS needed to be overhauled to be more like Lourdes or Belen in academics and reputation. They forget that STBHS ultimately serves a more diverse community/niche. Students and parents are aware of the negative impact, as expressed in the reviews below. They have genuine concerns about why a significant number of beloved teachers will not be returning. Only time will tell how these changes-for-the- sake-of-change will truly impact the school's future.

Posted July 26, 2013

My name is Mike Fitts, and I am an educator at STBHS. I love being there. As the Accreditation Coordinator, I have worked very closely with Dr. Rodelgo (Principal), Mrs. Suarez (Assistant Principal), and Mrs. Acosta (Dean of Academics and Director of Academies). They are devoted, hard-working professionals who care about the school and our students. I can't tell you how many hours we have all worked as a team to take our academics to the next level, from being commended for the thoroughness of our improvements by our accrediting agency to establishing a culture of continuous improvement. If you want your child to be at a school where the faculty and administration really care about the quality of his or her experience, and can deliver a first-rate education, St. Brendan is a great choice.

Posted July 23, 2013

I've been thinking for the past three minutes deciding how to even start this. How do I tell people in a couple of lines about the school that gave me the best four years of my life? Graduating with the class of 2013, I know my life is just beginning. However, the path I am taking has been paved by St. Brendan High School. This school will always be my "home away from home." The teachers and faculty became my second parents. The girls on my team were my sisters. I was always surrounded by family. St. Brendan allows their students, of all levels, to grow inside and outside the classroom. With the academies coming next year, I know the education will continue to excel. Would I do the past four years again? I absolutely would! It doesn't work like that, though, and you have to live. I can't thank St. Brendan enough for guiding me and helping me become the person I am today. I love my Sabre family!

Posted July 16, 2013

My name is Ana de Armas and I am a current teacher at St. Brendan High School. I am also an alum along with my 6 brothers and sisters and countless other family members. I love my alma mater and my colleagues and my students. For this reason, I have chosen to respond to the less than accurate remarks made by the "parent" on June 23. To say that the Academies are "fake" is an invalid statement. The Academies were formulated to help our students stay on the cutting edge of becoming college and career ready. It takes time to implement a program of this nature. However, the Academies will be launched with this incoming Freshman class. They will take their core classes and discover their strengths. By Sophomore year, they may begin to chose their "track". The Academies should function much like declaring a major in college.

Posted July 4, 2013

I wanted a place where my son could learn how to be a man, with God at the center of his life. I wanted a place where my son could grow alongside young women and learn to value them as peers. I am so happy that we chose St. Brendan for our son, because we found what we were looking for.

Posted July 3, 2013

I came to Saint Brendan as a shy, quiet person who kept to himself, but the great students and teachers helped me come out of my shell. I would go so far as to say that I did not simply change during my four years, rather I evolved. To say that the faculty at Saint Brendan is just good would be a gross understatement. They do not just hire educators there; they hire leaders, caregivers, and role models. These teachers helped me accomplish more then I could ever imagine. I started my freshman year with just one AP class and I thought that was plenty, but my teachers gave me the tools and encouragement to complete twelve AP classes by the time I graduated. My senior year I really saw how much these teachers really do care. They helped me get into colleges I could only have dreamed of getting accepted into, and seemed to be as happy for me as I was I was for myself. Now, as a fresh graduate I can say that I will look back on my times at Saint Brendan feeling not only satisfied, but proud, of my school and all that I accomplished while there. My only hope is that they keep up the good work in the distant future so that I can give my children the same wonderful experience I had.

Posted July 3, 2013

Continuing my previous review (as a class of 2013 alumni) the academies begin in the 2014-2015 school year so that the current sophomores can have their freshman year to decide which academy to enter. I believe that the academies will be a great asset because it is unique for the college application process and sets up students for success in a field of study that greatly influences them. They won't go to school because they have to, but because they want to because they WANT to learn, and I think that this will make attending St. Brendan priceless. I cannot emphasize enough how amazing St. Brendan is. I can say that all of my teachers and classmates are part of my family because that is how close I feel to them. I know that I can talk to them about anything. It is amazing the relationships that St. Brendan helps you build. There are so many amazing teachers and in my honest opinion my faith has grown and matured BECAUSE of St. Brendan and the amazing teachers in the religion department. I could of never imagined myself going to any other school but St. Brendan. My nine year old sister will go there, as well as my baby brother, and my future children. I truly love St. Brendan.

Posted July 3, 2013

I am a recent graduate of St. Brendan and I can say with 100% certainty that my four years at that school have made me the well-rounded individual that I am today. I grew extremely close to the current Principal, the AP, and the Dean of Discipline and they are three of the most caring and supportive people I know, along with every other teacher I had the honor of having class with. All three of them have former teaching experience and I even had the Dean for psychology my junior year (she's amazing!). The administration is always hard at work ensuring that we have all the resources possible for us to reach our full potential. I was never "bullied" into taking any classes. I was encouraged to challenge myself and I always had the final say in choosing classes and I don't regret any of them. I even doubled in science my sophomore year and it was one of the best decisions I made academically. The faculty and staff have nothing but love for the students. They care for each student's individual needs and are always there to give you any help you need or even just to talk. I love Saint Brendan with all my heart and there is nothing that I would change about my experience there.

Posted July 3, 2013

As a 2013 alumni, I can honestly say that I truly enjoyed my four years at high school there. St. Brendan is not just a school, it is a family. All the teachers and students are very welcoming to each other and great friendships are created. This past school year there was a change in administration, which in my opinion is for the better. It allows St. Brendan to become stronger academically and allow students to go above and beyond in high school. The principal is amazing and really cares about each and every student and the entire faculty. The assistant principal does everything in her power to accommodate students in that best way that she can so students are content with their classes and teachers. She also cares deeply for all students and is a mother figure for me. As for the dean, I find it better for students to have a counselor deal with discipline rather than just someone that hands out detention slips. Bad behavior is always caused by something psychological, and it is better for students to talk about than be punished and just have their emotions bottled up. She is also an amazing human being. As for the academies, they will officially begin in the 2014-2015 school year

Posted July 1, 2013

This school has changed to the worse, when my sister graduated (four years ago) this was better. Now the school has become horrible, students are behaving bad and everybody is leaving. I would rather go to another School.

Posted June 23, 2013

ACADEMIES ARE FAKE! There is all this talk about a new focus on academics but all I see are the best, experienced teachers leaving and a bunch of academies described in a brochure but not really in existence. Just ask the teachers. It's all talk and no real structure. They have no idea how they are going to implement the programs they advertise as if already in existence. The person running the academies has been teaching keyboarding her whole career and her masters in in LIBRARY SCIENCE! The principal was fired from another school before joining STBHS. His AP for Academics is a former counselor with ZERO teaching experience. The Dean of Discipline is a former counselor who thinks everything can be "counseled" or prayed away. Now, the students are being BULLIED into taking AP classes they are not qualified for, just to improve the school's image. They are even being coerced into taking DOUBLE math or science for the same purpose. How about teaching the SINGLE math or science correctly? This was once a great school. But not anymore. At all.

Posted June 23, 2013

I hate to admit it - but the last review is totally true. Notice how there had not been any good reviews for the entire school year 2012-2013! Now, I am sure they will put up fake ones after this. But here is the truth. When people like ALL THE MARIST BROTHERS, Mr. Croke, Mrs. Adams, Mrs. Hewett, Mrs. Sierra, and Ms. Aranguren, and Mrs. Gonzalez-Rojas leave in a span of only two years, that says something, and it's not a good thing! Slowly but surely, all those who care about the kids are leaving. I just hope I can get out soon, too!

Posted March 18, 2012

the best high school! whatever range of abilities and commitment the school provides splendid environment and habitats for the student to flourish and grow. i love this school and would recommend to everyone looking for a great high school for both academic and spiritual pursuits.

Posted March 16, 2012

Excellent teachers, Excellent administration, Strong academics at ALL levels: Champagnat Program for the learning disabled, Regular Academics for the average student, Honors Program for the students that need more of a challenge, and the ALPHA program which is for the extremely bright and academically gifted students. The school has so much to offer as far as electives, clubs, and extra curricular activities is concerned. If you're interested in the arts, St. Brendan HS is the best! National award-winning dance team, National award-winning chorus, amazing faculty, and one-of-a-kind community. There is so much love in that school and in its community. As a teacher, I recommend it 100%.

Posted June 24, 2011

I recently graduated (c/o 2011) and I'm very happy for the education I received. While I didn't take any AP's until junior year, I felt prepared when I did take them. They have the Alpha Program now, which is a great resource for motivated students. My teachers were all great, and I really got to connect with all of them. The counselors do their job in informing for universities and such, but it is up to the students ultimately to make their decision and do their work. There are mediocre students who do mediocre work and then complain about it all. I took all the hardest classes every year, worked super hard all four years, and it paid off. I'm going to college (out of state) and I am receiving both an academic and athletic scholarship. I would recommend this school to anyone, especially if you are willing to work hard.

Posted June 22, 2011

Overall, it is a very good school that does focus on academics. However, I am not content with the religious education that my daughter is receiving. One of the main reasons that I enrolled my daughter in the school was because it was a private catholic school. I am completly in shock, however, when my daughter goes on facebook and I see pictures of her fellow classmates drinking and doing other inappropriate things. The school should partner up with the parents to try to promote a more Catholic atmosphere in the school. Teachers need to further promote catholic ideals in the classroom. I attended the school when I was a teen, but a lot has changed -- and not for the better. But academically, it is a good school.

Posted June 22, 2011

The bahavior of some students has given the school a bad name. I do not like how the entire administration has not done anything to enforce more control. Academically we are a very talented school, but like the previous comment stated, some teachers have indeed lost sight of why we are actually there: to help promote christian values among the students while helping them acheive their goals. Things need to change.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (305) 220-7434

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Miami

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2950 Southwest 87th Avenue