No rating

Florida Christian School

Private | PK-12

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Posted June 19, 2014

I attended this school for high school and seriously it was horrible. I recently graduated college and I must say this school did not prepare me at all for college. I'm not stupid or anything my GPA was high when I graduate but it wasnt because of the education, it was cause I was paying. I lost hope in private schools honestly I would send my child to a public school before sending them here. Honestly go somewhere else

Posted February 11, 2014

This is a great school and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a school with a loving, safe and nurturing environment along with excellent teachers and curriculum. My son as been at FCS since the third grade. He is now in middle school and I have absolutely no complaint and nor does he.

Posted August 20, 2013

This "school" lacks quality teachers, athletics are a joke, the academic courses are not challenging, assigns an overload of homework, and does not prepare well for SAT, ACT, or college. Does not teach you how to think on ones own. Focuses way to much on Christianity and I felt the books were opinionated to only one certain way of thinking instead of exploring the different religions and philosophies that exist in the world. Middle school did not prepare me for high school at all and I struggled immensely for awhile. While I was attending FCS I had a 3.7 gpa. I left to another school and I quickly found myself behind compared to my classmates and I finished the year with a 2.9 gpa. The tuition is overpriced and NOT worth the "education" you receive. My recommendation is to look elsewhere

Posted July 24, 2013

My son just graduated from FCS and my daughter graduated 4 years ago. I thank God for the excellent academics, teachers, and staff at FCS. Both of my kids got accepted to every school they applied for, both qualified for FULL Bright Futures Scholoarships, both had very high SAT scores and both got full ride scholarships. I cannot say enough good things about the school.

Posted July 20, 2013

This school could be better if only we had better staff and teachers. Also I should be getting paid more for putting up with student and their parents. You may be wondering why I am writing this, but I am just feed up. The board members don't want me to go. Why, I don't know.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 31, 2013

My kids have been students at FCS since K3. One is heading to the main campus next year and to tell you the truth.... I'm a bit concerned. I used to think my kids would graduate from this school but now I'm not so sure. In comparing FCS to another Christian school, FCS lacks a strong curriculum, choice of electives as well as sports. The classroom sizes are too large, the student ratio was 25 to 1,,, 30+ in some grades. Not to mention that the property needs major repairs. On the other hand, The teachers and staff my kids have had , have been both encouraging and nurturing and a real family bond forms with others parents. I think the administration needs to be more pro-active in pushing the school into the 21st century and adhering to the worldly problems are kids will no doubt face. I love this school and I hope good changes come before more students leave.

Posted May 29, 2013

My children have been at this school since preschool. One is now entering high school and the other is entering middle school. My older child was invited to take the SAT by Duke University because he tested in the top 10% of the nation on his 6th grade Stanford Achievement Test and will be entering high school with his Algebra I credit already completed. While the school is not perfect, I am very happy with my children's progress. The sports and fine arts programs are great. Aside from having an award winning band and choir department, there is also a musical theater production put on by the school approximately every other year and at least 1 play a year. For a "smallish" school, I think that is pretty impressive! On the down side, the class sizes should be smaller in middle and high school. I would also love to see more of a variety of elective course offerings. Like any school there are a few bad seeds on the faculty and I would love to see the administration be more proactive in getting rid of those few teachers that leave a bit to be desired.

Posted March 18, 2013

As with any school you will find that there are issues. I have 2 children that have been there since 4K and one is in college now. She is well prepared and received an above average education. To call this school the worst is a bit of an exaggeration. They have superior band, art, and choir programs. Their drama program has really flourished and they put on amazing plays every year. Their yearbook has also won many awards. So as far as electives go they put out the best. In elementary my children received an excellent foundation. Class size has never been an issue for my children. The student body as a whole is small and everyone knows my kids by name. Obviously the negative comments here are written by an angry parent who had a bad experience. Both of my children have had an overall good experience and a good education.

Posted March 5, 2013

Terrible experience-glad it is over. We have been through many private schools large and small due to relocations associated with my husband's job. This school was by far the WORST experience we have ever had. I could not wait to get my children out of there. The elementary school was acceptable, I could have stomached a bit more time as it pertains to that aspect of the school. The middle school was a nightmare, unorganized and grossly overcrowded. If the teachers knew my child's first name that would have surprised me. The kids in middle/upper school run around that campus completely unsupervised. The academics are horrible considering you are paying for that education. My middle schooler was significantly behind when we moved to another school in another state. I still get angry when I think of the time and money wasted at this school. It was awful for us, worst school experience I have encountered hands down

Posted February 24, 2013

Both of my sons graduated from Florida Christian School, and both have now graduated from college and are established in their careers. The school strives to offer a well-rounded program with great athletics, superior arts programs, and excellent academics. Best of all, my students loved going to Florida Christian and knew they were loved by all of the faculty.

Posted January 25, 2013

I am a student currently attending high school at Florida Christian, and have been attending this school since early elementary. Like many other reviews say, the elementary school provides a good foundation, but middle school and high school looking back now were lacking in quality teaching, not to mention the ridiculous increase in tuition. For every one good teacher per grade, the rest were mediocre in their methods. Most of the teachers seemed to have adopted this 'teach yourself' method, which is basically similar to throwing a student to the wolves. There is very little student/teacher interaction, making the experience seem much less personal. Some of the 'honors' classes are a joke, and the school also lacks in good elective classes (such as creative writing, etc.) and are very limited in their selection of honors and AP classes as well. Generally, there is a very reluctant and sort of bad vibe at the school. Personally, I don't think it's worth the amount of money that the school requires you to pay.

Posted May 21, 2012

I hate the fact that many of the Middle School teachers don't grade the children's homework or classwork. They rely on the students to grade them. Some of the teachers do not adequately explain the subject and do not give appropriate time to all students to understand. I went to public school in Hialeah and all the teachers took the time to make sure all of the students understand and if they didn't have time during class, they made sure to take time out of their schedules to continue teaching after school or during their off period. The school is good at filling much of the extra-curricular needs of the children and the band program is top-notch with teachers that actually care about the children's progress. Computer class is lacking during Elementary and Middle School and only offers 1 elective. And the tuition is out of hand. One bright spot this year was the Middle School pronciple which was involved with the students and was quick to resolve issues with teachers and other students. By the way, my son will be getting straight A's this 6th grade school year but often came home with little idea of how to do homework because the teachers would not adequately explain the lesson.

Posted April 23, 2012

TERRIBLE. I could not get my children out of there fast enough. To be fair-the elementary is ACCEPTABLE at times. The middle school is the WORST experience I have ever encountered. We are not new to the private school circuit. We have been to 4 different private school spanning 2 different states so we are not unseasoned in our private school expectations. FCS is the WORST school we have ever encountered. They have a HUGE student to teacher ratio. When I found out there were OVER 30 children in each middle school class I was dumbfounded. The teaching techniques are antiquated with a "teach yourself" mentality going on. The teachers in the middle school are non-responsive and non caring. I would not be surprised if they did not even know my child by name. Terrible...from the top down simply terrible. We are MUCH happier at our new school (and we left mid-year b/c it was such a horrendous experience). Do your research before investing in this school. Definately NOT worth the investment.

Posted March 3, 2012

The pre-school and early elementary grades at Florida Christian offer a very strong foundation. I have not been thrilled with the teacher student ratios, I feel that the class size is far from optimal. The upper elementary and middle school is where I feel there is much to be desired. Again the class sizes are way too large to offer individualized and differentiated instruction. There is absolutely no emphasis on creative writing. If your child is not the average learner they will not be challenged nor remediated in anyway. The middle school teachers have been there for years and are quite set in there ways. The only strategy they offer to assist academically is tutoring. Although, I wouldn't trade the early elementary foundation at Florida Christian, the middle school has been a very negative experience. I am not willing to give the high school a chance. I wish I would have known what I know now prior to putting 2 children through this. I will not go through this with my 3rd. My advice is do your research and know that things are not always what they seem.

Posted January 29, 2012

way too many kids per class, per teacher! I was happy even with the 25 to 27 kids per teacher throughout elementary but not any more. There is now 32 kids in my child's class and the teachers just don't have the time to really assist every child. This is not what I expected; I am looking at other schools.

Posted January 9, 2012

TOO MANY KIDS...My middle schooler has a 31 to 1 student to teacher ratio and my elementary schooler has a 25 to 1 student to teacher ratio. I can achieve that in public school. With tuition steadily rising and the class size gradually increasing, I would look to spend my money elsewhere where there are less kids in each classroom. My children will not return to FCS, I feel as though it is a waste of money. Pay just a bit more for other local private schools...at least your investment will be worth while...and for those who spout safety....please be aware that the middle school students run rampant after school and my child was assaulted with scissors in a classroom.

Posted September 25, 2011

My children have attended FCS since Prek3 and have to say that the academics and spiritual needs of my children have not only been met but exceeded any of my expectations. My children are working above grade level and are assuming all of their responsibilities very well. The school is wonderful in many ways.The staff and administration is also very supportive and loving towards the children.

Posted September 25, 2011

Both my children attend Florida Christian and I could not be happier. The academic expectations are set very high. My daughter is working at a grade level above and my son is beginning the reading process in Prek4. Once they reach 2nd grade they begin using Accelerated Reader, which is a great way for their comprehension skills to strengthen even further. The school is amazing and not only do they provide academic excellence but the Christian and spiritual growth I have seen in my children is wonderful!

Posted March 8, 2011

Both of my children started this school this year. We moved from another private school in the area. I was a bit hesitant at first, worried that the religious aspects of this school would hinder their academic needs. Quite the contrary-I am surprisingly impressed with this school. My child is learning in K5 what my older child was learning in second grade at his previous school. On the flip side-comming from another private school-my middle schooler had a hard time keeping up with FCS academics at first, but the staff has been so supportive and with hard work he has found his groove. I actually highly recommend this school-and I was a harsh skeptic in the beginning.

Posted March 4, 2011

My daughter has been at Florida Christain since she started High School. Prior to that she had been at another Private Christan school in Dade since she was in pre-K. The best choice I have ever made was to place my daugher in FCS. This school let's the kids be themselves and not be in fear of every move that they make, yet are deciplined when need be and are treated with respect. The administration is ready to listen or to respond right away by email if need be. My daughter is now graduating with honors and going to Florida State all thanks to of course her hard work but with the leadership of Florida Christian. By the way this year the tuition did not go up because FCS understands the economic problem we are all facing. I truly believe in this school and when I have grandchildren I'm sure my daughter would choose to have them attend there as well.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Robert Andrews
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • AACS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious