No rating

Cushman School

Private | PK-8

Living in Miami

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $206,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have been a Cushman parent for four years and currently have 2 children enrolled in the school. As my children progress through the grades, the program just gets better and better. My elementary student is being challenged and is testing almost two grade levels above her current grade. I can't imagine sending my kids anywhere else.

Posted March 23, 2010

A remarkable school in so many ways. Not only do they stress academics, but they emphasize character development--things such as manners and tolerance of others. One child was brought in on scholarship after he was disfigured in a housefire. His progress has been remarkable--the reason--he told a teacher he had never been in a place where kids did not make fun of him. He was so excited that they treated him like everyone else. That type of behavior at Cushman is not accidental.

Posted March 23, 2010

Thanks to Cushman, we are lucky to have found a program that reinforces the values and philosophy we practice at home. My child is a happy, intelligent, compassionate and well-rounded student who is being taught how to think not what to think. The school's focus on developing the whole child by emphasizing self esteem and social skills development are a better guide for future success rather than academic achievement. Cushman is helping us to ensure that our child becomes a passionate, interesting, responsible and happy adult. Not a boring and complacent adult. I'm looking forward to enrolling my second child next year.

Posted November 5, 2009

The Middle School at Cushman is Superb! The Athletic Program needs alot of attention. I have had my child 2 years at Cushman and he loves the Middle School. When my child was in Elementary though he despised the teachers and their system

Posted October 3, 2009

I think Cushman is special because they accept each child as an individual. They don't conform children; they develop their strengths and assist with their weaknesses.

Posted September 24, 2009

Cushman has taught me alot over my 10 years there. Cushman allows teachers to teach there own children which is horrible. The building is 1920's style which is bad for the children because its dirty, not safe, very thin walls, and no high tech gadgets installed. The middle school and 2nd, 3rd and 5th grade classrooms have nice, clean, new classrooms which the other students dont have. Overall, Cushman has a great philosphy, but i wouldnt reccomend this school for everyone.

Posted September 16, 2009

When other schools could not help my son's rare Auditory Processing with Expressive Receptive Disorder, this school stepped up to the challenge and I can truly say that my boy's self esteem and his ability to do his own homework are at their best. They are not just a school but 'The school' - I've sent my child to other private schools and this amazing school delivers everything they promise.

Posted July 23, 2009

Many of these reviews say that Cushman's Athletic Program is terrible. However, those reviews were written a few years ago. Now, the Cushman Athletic Program is thriving. The Girls Soccer Team won 20 out of 24 games and the Girls Basketball Team won a tournament at Miami Country Day.

Posted July 9, 2009

First of all, many of the comments are very outdated. Like the buildings, we have beautiful buildings with state of the art technology. The laptops are state of the art and in use in 5th-8th grades. Our athletic program is outstanding with over 89% of our students playing varsity or JV sports. Our basketball teams did great winning both the boys and girls Miami Country Day School Invitaional trophies. Three of our players were recognized at a state basketball camp this summer. Our 8th graders have been accepted at the finest schools in the US, including some very high class boarding schools. Our former students of college age are in the top colleges including the Ivy League and the US Military Academy. The area, which 3 or 4 years ago was in transition is now virtually crime free with some of the best restaurants in town (Michy, Soyka).

Posted February 8, 2009

My kids have never been happier! A great academic and moral education. The teachers really look out for the well being of each child

Posted January 25, 2009

cushman is a great school that teaches many life long values, but they dont teach to the est.

Posted November 13, 2008

I have been working here for many years, and absolutely love everything about it. From the caring teachers to the rigorous academics, this is a school that goes out of its way to meet the needs of its students! I wouldn't dream of leaving!

Posted April 27, 2008

Terrible philosophy on younger children. If the child is a bit hyper or has a personality than the child is immediatley stereotyped as a problem and needs to be evaluated. We pay alot of money and they dont want to do thoer jobs and teach and guide or nurture. Just make the child very uncomfortable along with the parents so they feel like getting out of there. Horrible area also. For all the tuition it looks like a dump!

Posted October 27, 2007

Cushman is a Gem! A rare find in Miami. We've been happy with all aspects of our children's education.

Posted May 2, 2007

I've been at Cushman from 3 years. The elementary school is located in the original building, which is very charming with its Spanish-style structure and open courtyard. Connected to the old structure is a modern extension, which was completed a couple years ago. The elementary school is decent from what I've experienced. The middle school however is worse. Last year, the middle school was housed in two old shabby buildings. The academic program was not very challenging, and system was disorganized. A new middle school building was built last year to replace the old one. It's great, with large classrooms and outdoor lunch area. The athletic program is disappointing, mainly because we're lacking good coaches. Cushman is small so students recieve individual attention. There are also many events and fieldtrips. Many kids have been here for over 10 years, but as a graduating 8th grader, I'm quite happy to be leaving.

Posted February 27, 2007

I would never send my students to the middle school here at cushman. There is poor structure and they try to fluff everything up so that they do not hurt anybody's feelings. The athletic program is a joke. In the past 4 years they have won a tottal of 8 boys basketball games. From what I see they have a great athlete but I am not sure of his name, he could be something great but he will not be if he stays in this athletic program. Also, the parents at cushman complain about everything that the school does that has anything to do with improving their stucture.

Posted February 2, 2006

Beautiful environment, good focus on ethics and character. School seems to develop good kids, which is most important.

Posted January 30, 2006

School is a fair example of why parents are utilising the private school system in miami and not the public school system!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 22, 2005

Would NOT send my child there and I teach at Cushman. Admin cares little about faculty so many leave. Money spent on building and not class supplies. Laptop school claim is untrue.

Posted August 22, 2005

I worked there and everything seems to be great. Good parent involvement and academics

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (305) 757-1632

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

592 Northeast 60th Street