No rating

Cushman School

Private | PK-8

Living in Miami

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $206,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted March 17, 2014

Our daughter just got into The New World School of the Arts. While we all think our children are special, we know that a big part of this is due to the amazing faculty & staff at Cushman. All of them had a hand in making our daughter the confident, "thinking outside the box" young lady she is today.

Posted March 15, 2014

My child is graduating this year and we are very sad to be leaving. After being at another school in miami, we luckily found Cushman. The teachers and administration have done so much for our family over the years, and we are grateful. Every school out child applied to for high school accepted him. This is an amazing place to be!

Posted October 7, 2013

What an amazing school! After doing a lot of research we chose Cushman over the other local schools because it had a wonderfully enriching curriculum and program. Our three children have had a great experience, and now that it oldest is in high school, we see the big picture. Cushman did a wonderful b preparing our son for high school and they instilled in him a sense of confidence and pride. We look forward to the rest of our years at Cushman.

Posted October 3, 2013

The Cushman School is an outstanding school. I have two children who attended from age 3 to 8th grade, and each was given exactly what they needed. They were treated as individuals and offered a rigorous curriculum balanced with attentive and caring teachers. Both children were accepted to their choice of high school and have flourished in honors and AP courses. The teachers at Cushman are professional and highly skilled in their field, as well as understanding that all children are not the same and do not learn in the same way. I will always be grateful to have found a school like Cushman.

Posted October 2, 2013

Parent's worse nightmare. The school structure and current application of its phylosophy jeopardizes children self esteeme, happiness and desire to learn. Kids are unsupervised in class or playground. They teach "do the right thing even if nobody is whatching"....well, NOBODY is watching!. We experienced preK bullying and age-inapproprate language and interaction. Despite multiple complains, verbally and physically violent kids were left unsupervised. The school leadership missed the opportunity to address concerns and apply some critical thinking, but rather attempted to intimidate the parents who were raising such concerns , revealing more distressed for potential damage to the school reputation and enrollment than attention to emotional and physical safety of its children. Poor ethics, academics, and pitiful afternoon enrichment classes in a school with such a glorious website and history. This school is good only for difficult children, and whose parents can pay to accomodate the trouble of dealing with such children. But if you have a smart, nice and well behaved kid, do not go there. The Board of the school should look into their newly appointed leadership.

Posted September 9, 2013

I don't like this school at all, be ready to spend money in here, they are all for money if you are not ready to empty your wallet then there will be no help for your kids, the teachers don't take Constructive criticism, they don t help students that are lagging behind on any given topic, but if you have the money, if you put extra money then they will find a way to help. They are for the money and not for the child welfare, sad that in this century teachers are not willing to accept new concepts, nor incorporate new technologies into the daily teaching environment, unless you pay for it yourself and kindly donate that to them. Think twice if you want to join that school unless you have tons of money and do not care about preparedness. If you don t believe me ask before you join a comparison between them and the A public schools and then you will understand what I am talking about.

Posted August 7, 2013

I was led to believe that this school was great based on past administration. The school is all about money now and there is no consistency in teachers. They all seem to leave. The kids run this school and behavior is inappropriate. There is overt bullying by kids which no one addresses. There is no longer a feeling of genuine love and community. My two kids attended for four years and each year since this transition, the school gets worse. I am sad to say that this is a waste of money unless you just want to support nepotism. I voted in the new head and like most of us we see that it was a mistake. I hung in for a long time and have sadly decided to remove both of my children. The is a sad air of secrecy at this school now, everyone smiles and nods their heads, yet you know that no one is ever telling you the truth.

Posted July 22, 2013

Cushman honestly is a school that has it all. Every school is not perfect. There was an instance where my child needed guidance a few years ago, and she got it. Not only did she get it, but she is now in the Junior Honor Society and is very artistic. I love Cushman and would absolutely recommend it!

Posted July 18, 2013

Cushman has been a wonderful school for my two children who are both so different, which is a testament to the individualized education they offer. The comments I've always heard upon coming to Miami that 'Cushman students are confident and kind' are true. The school definitely focuses on character development along with academics, which it seems not all schools do very successfully these days. If you want a great school in a warm and very creative environment with alot of tradition, Cushman provides that. If you want fancy new buildings then you may not appreciate the charm and history of the campus that is currently under going many renovations. But what counts are the people and the curriculum there, and it's been worth every penny as I see the young adults my children are turning into.

Posted June 6, 2013

Most of the kids who compose the class are teachers' kids or difficult kids whose parents give lots of money to the school all year long to compensate. PTA only organize unhealthy snacks after school(salted pretzels,hot dogs ,popsicles....).Education program and sports under expectations. I don t recommend this school, except if you live close and that you have no other options !

Posted May 5, 2013

Cushman is one of the most expensive schools in Miami and look at what you get... the grounds are pitiful at best, there is no cafeteria, no gym, no pool, nothing. Just dilapidated classrooms. There was a time when Cushman had a terrific teacher to student ratio but now its totally overcrowded and they are not selective with the type of families they allow to attend. Its now all about money and if you pay you can play. The quality of the school has suffered and it shows. Many better schools to chose from in Miami.

Posted January 17, 2012

We have been at Cushman for two years and have had a wonderful experience. The teachers, counselors, administrative and after-school teams are caring and go out of their way to treat the children as if they were part of their own families. It is a culture of caring,creativity and respect. Our son was previously at one of the top Miami Dade County Public Schools [in the gifted program] and although the academics were strong the environment and motivational methods used were absolutely unacceptable. We had the unfortunate experience of this school that completely zapped our son's innate curiosity and love for learning. Cushman has been able to re-foster these traits in him; they have challenged him academically and creatively (with no need for a gifted program). Learning techniques and curriculums used are evidenced based educational best-practices that meet each student at an individual level. They also teach children to see the value of diversity, of learning and of treating everyone with kindness and respect. Thank you Cushman Team, you have delivered on your promise of making our family feel at home!

Posted March 28, 2011

The Cushman School is the perfect school for our family. I am a single mother with a 7 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. I was fortunate to hear about Cushman through word of mouth. My children have been at The Cushman School for 5 years. Words do not do justice to what an incredible school Cushman is! In one way, Cushman is very traditonal-they teach values that are often lacking in our instant gratification society. They teach the children-respect, courtesy, and accountability. With regards to academics, The school is progressive. They teach in a Sorcratic method. With emphasis on questioning and "true" comprehension as opposed to thoughtless memorizing.My daughter is in the "mainstream" at Cushman. My son is within the autisim spectram. He attends The Laura Cushman Academy.It is unique in that he is integrated with all the other 3rd graders for anythin non academic.He is in no way ostracized or made fun of. Definitely a concern for me as a mom! Both of my children have flourished over the past 5 years- in maturation,responsibility, character,and knowledge. The philosophy of The Cushman School is to teach children HOW to think not WHAT to think. To me that sums up Cushman!

Posted March 10, 2011

My children have attended Cushman for 7 years so far. I can't imagine them getting such a good start in their intellectual and interpersonal pursuits anywhere else. The school's philosophy, not just given lip service, carries through to the way my kids interact with the world around them. Cushman is a great place for diverse personalities, backgrounds and educational levels.

Posted March 9, 2011

We have two children attending Cushman for the 2nd year and we feel blessed that they do. Cushman is more than a school, it is a community with a complete dedication from the faculty to create well-rounded children. It is a very progressive school that looks beyond the standard practices and emphasizes research-based teaching methods (i.e. Open Court, Singapore Math, Mandarin in K...). As a result, children are well-adjusted, confident, open and eager to learn and as a parent, this is the type of environment that will help my children to strive in the long-term.

Posted February 7, 2011

After a year at this school, we went elsewhere. The positives are that the school has a great community and the children are very respectful. Parents are really involved and overall very friendly. There are lots of after school activities for children and the school focuses a lot of public speaking and formal performances. Unfortunately, academics are seriously lacking and the administration stifles the faculty. Given the high price tag I expected much more. I think a lot of parents look at this school as one of the few options in the area given that most of the privates are much further south. People have even categorized this school as the "catch-all" for the children who couldn't get into the other popular private schools in Miami. If you prefer a private education for your child and academics are a high priority, I think it is worth the drive to other privates in south Miami. Otherwise you are paying for a glorified public school education.

Posted June 6, 2010

The middle school at Cushman is a fun and interesting learning enviroment. However, they do baby their student's too much, making the transition from Middle School to high school a challenge. I was a student at cushman for three years, and thouroughly enjoyed the middle school, but i now (any many others who studied there with me) have found the transition into the ninth grade extremley difficult. The Elementary is simply a bad school. Teacher's get frusturated too quickly with their students, and really DO choose favorites. Also, whenever the school is being visited, the teacher's in the Elementary really do change. All the parents who say Cushman is a great school have children far from their High School career's, not seeing therefor not seeing the affects of the over-babying. Parents need to let their kids grow more than Cushman allows.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 5, 2010

Low student/teacher ratios. Individual attention to the children and emphasis is placed on the children enjoying learning.

Posted April 14, 2010

I have two children at Cushman, one in 1st grade and the other in 3d. Prior to entering, we were at a top public elementary school in Miami-Dade County. I am extremely glad that we made the change. Unlike the public schools in Miami and many of the private schools, Cushman bases its curriculum on what educational research demonstrates works best for kids in the long-term. The curriculum is innovative and gets the kids excited about learning and figuring things out. The school also has a great after-school program for parents who work full-time. This is definitely the place to send your kids if you care about what they will turn out to be as adults and if you want them to ultimately become creative, adaptable, and innovative thinkers . Cushman is far more similar to the top private schools in the Northeast than any other school you'll find in Miami.

Posted April 6, 2010

My children have attended Cushman for seven years. I have been very happy with the teachers and the overall education there. My kids enjoy going to school and have access to many other activities after school, from non-cut sports to languages and music instruction. There are many support professionals on campus to help kids with OT, PT, and other issues, so it is not necessary to drive all over town after school for appointments. The curriculum is competitive but the kids don't feel the pressure of lots of homework in the lower grades.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (305) 757-1632

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

592 Northeast 60th Street