PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Cushman School 3

Posted May 12, 2016
The school is all about cronynism and big donors. The classes are crowded. They use parents and graduate students as assistants. It's a school for wealthy people. The best parking spots and assembly seats go to the highest bidder, literally. There is no sense of merit or equality here. It's all about getting cash. Only trust reviews by people who post the they don't work for the school.

Posted November 16, 2015
I have two children in Cushman and we have been here for over 5 years. I would like to address some of the complaints made by fellow parents: 1) They are all about the money I agree that there has been an increase in asking for donations, but it is for capital improvement. They built a new steam building and are attempting to raise enough to put in an arts/ athletic building. Since we started Cushman we have donated annually based on our disposable income. Some years were more fruitful than others and regardless of amount they were always appreciative. 2) The buildings are old- it is an historic site. Every year since I have been here rooms have been repainted, new carpet installed, all rooms are equipped with smart boards, and auditory enhancement. The exterior of the buildings are considered an historic preservation , thus renovations are restricted . 3) No one is watching the children, this one actually gave me a chuckle. Really? I find that if anything Cushman is guilty of helicoptering them. There is ALWAYS several teachers watching everything on the playground. 4) They accept the hard case kids - my children have been with the same kids since primary school. Usually each year , about 4 new children come to Cushman. Of those , I can only think of one case of a difficult child. With that in mind, Cushman 's entire philosophy is that every child has a gift, thus it makes since to me that they would try to reach a " difficult" child. The teachers have been there too long , thus outdated. Some of the best teachers my children have had are the ones with seniority. They constantly are updating their certifications and often are seeking doctorates at night. I implore you to do your own due diligence regarding Cushman . Go to the school and see for yourself. When my children leave for high school , we will miss Cushman.

Cushman School 2

Posted March 12, 2015
My kids have been at Cushman for a few years. We are not really thrilled and they don't love it either. Here is why: Some of the teachers are awful, mean and critical. They don't have a lot of patience, they do not really think outside the box and they are tired and have been too long at the school. Stale. Another reason: A lot of kids come here who have not thrived in other schools - a lot of kids. So the classrooms are made up of kids who could not do well at other schools rather than kids whose parents believe in the philosophy. Additionally, a lot of kids leave the school for better schools when they get in off the wait list at those other schools and use Cushman as a waiting spot. The last reason is that I do not think Cushman really lives up to its philosophy and is in need of educational rehab. The programs are outdated and the kids are bored. My kids just don't really enjoy the day. They complain about too much work and not enough "kid" time. We plan to leave once we get a spot elsewhere.

Posted February 02, 2015
My child is new to Cushman this year and is in the Fifth grade. I am very pleased with the teachers and the entire administration. Everyone is approachable and truly cares about the children. I am in constant communication with all of my child's teachers. All teachers are quick and comprehensive when answering my emails. The children are learning how to write effectively, give speeches and are reading challenging books in class. I whole heartedly recommend the school without hesitation.

Posted September 11, 2014
I MUST write the following after reading some of the unfavorable reviews. I respect there are all kinds of experiences and all kinds of families. That being said, to the young families not well-versed in the "mommy wars," always remember that there are some families who will be miserable anywhere they go. There are families that want to "outsource" raising their children and take no responsibility of the outcome. There are families jealous of other families' financial fortune. Please read the reviews with a grain of salt. I am NOT of means and it takes much effort and sacrifice to have our two children attend this school. The values and importance of character which have been instilled here are priceless. So the buildings are old. There is a nurse. There is a "values" teacher. The office for the heads of elementary, middle and primary school are each smack in the middle of their respective students -- accessible -- not unreachable. The children have PE every day or yoga. The art program is awesome. There is an artist in residence program. There is a play each year every child is a part of. The sports teams have a no-cut policy. An awesome institution!

Posted March 17, 2014
Our daughter just got into The New World School of the Arts. While we all think our children are special, we know that a big part of this is due to the amazing faculty & staff at Cushman. All of them had a hand in making our daughter the confident, "thinking outside the box" young lady she is today.

Posted March 15, 2014
My child is graduating this year and we are very sad to be leaving. After being at another school in miami, we luckily found Cushman. The teachers and administration have done so much for our family over the years, and we are grateful. Every school out child applied to for high school accepted him. This is an amazing place to be!

Posted October 07, 2013
What an amazing school! After doing a lot of research we chose Cushman over the other local schools because it had a wonderfully enriching curriculum and program. Our three children have had a great experience, and now that it oldest is in high school, we see the big picture. Cushman did a wonderful b preparing our son for high school and they instilled in him a sense of confidence and pride. We look forward to the rest of our years at Cushman.

Posted October 03, 2013
The Cushman School is an outstanding school. I have two children who attended from age 3 to 8th grade, and each was given exactly what they needed. They were treated as individuals and offered a rigorous curriculum balanced with attentive and caring teachers. Both children were accepted to their choice of high school and have flourished in honors and AP courses. The teachers at Cushman are professional and highly skilled in their field, as well as understanding that all children are not the same and do not learn in the same way. I will always be grateful to have found a school like Cushman.

Cushman School 1

Posted October 02, 2013
Parent's worse nightmare. The school structure and current application of its phylosophy jeopardizes children self esteeme, happiness and desire to learn. Kids are unsupervised in class or playground. They teach "do the right thing even if nobody is whatching"....well, NOBODY is watching!. We experienced preK bullying and age-inapproprate language and interaction. Despite multiple complains, verbally and physically violent kids were left unsupervised. The school leadership missed the opportunity to address concerns and apply some critical thinking, but rather attempted to intimidate the parents who were raising such concerns , revealing more distressed for potential damage to the school reputation and enrollment than attention to emotional and physical safety of its children. Poor ethics, academics, and pitiful afternoon enrichment classes in a school with such a glorious website and history. This school is good only for difficult children, and whose parents can pay to accomodate the trouble of dealing with such children. But if you have a smart, nice and well behaved kid, do not go there. The Board of the school should look into their newly appointed leadership.

Cushman School