No rating

St Kevin Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted May 13, 2014

Acamedics in St Kevin are okay, I would say. My biggest dissapointment is all the extra non- academic activities that the kids are required to participate in during school days.. it makes me feel they waste so much time instead of finding ways to make more interesting and learning activities such as science fairs, spelling bee contests, math contests, etc... Kids watch movies in afterschool .. no matter which grade they are in. Counselors are with the kids to help with homework. Sometimes the homework comes home wrong or the counselor will tell the answer to the kids without teaching them how to answer it by themselves. There are many (too many) fundraising activites going on in the school: Golf tournament, Parish festival, fashion show, Gala night, etc ... never heard or seen where the money collected goes to... the school sure needs it.. the bathrooms needs a facelift, clasrooms computers are often down.. etc... The teachers are nice and I think they do their best to handle 30+kids in each classroom (they have two full time teachers per class). Overall, I think there is room to improve and really hope they do so.. otherwise I will be pulling my son out pretty soon...

Posted April 28, 2014

My son and dughter have been coming to this school for years the school was a great school but not anymore. 50 families did not return to the school this year because the school education wise is rock bottom. You have to pay tudors for your kids to reach there grade level. The Principal and Administration needs to be fired. The principals daughter and her friends teach the school and the school is in shambles. When you have kids from St. Kevin that would ace Belen , Columbus entrance exams. Now they can't even pass. Also the School has a bullying problem kids bullying and assaulting other kids. This problem is out of control. This is not the same Catholic School I attended when I was a child. I would never recommend this school this is an example where the Archdiocese has failed Catholic education.

Posted March 22, 2014

I am grateful every day that my children attend St. Kevin Catholic School. My children attended what was considered one of the better public schools in Miami-Dade county & our experience was disappointing. My children were under tremendous pressure to excel in standardized tests & the teachers were uninterested in their students. A change had to be made. We came to St.Kevin in the middle of the school year. I met with the principal, Dr. Constantino and she was lovely. Dr. Constantino LOVES her school & it shows. She was welcoming, warm & accommodating. She was an educator who has been in the St. Kevin family for years! I came to learn that many of the educators at St. Kevin have been there for many years because the culture is supportive & the teachers clearly enjoy their job. The class sizes are not small but my son has learned more than when he was in a class of 18. The emphasis on reading is unparalleled and the workload is challenging but not overwhelming. The teachers' attention to each individual student is impressive. A great education, a sense of family & a well rounded experience has been our experience at St. Kevin Catholic School.

Posted February 20, 2014

The PK2 program at St. Kevin is wonderful! My daughter started in August and I have seen such growth in her. The teachers, aides, and director are all amazing. They are always communicating with the parents thru newsletters, emails, and text messages. I couldn't be happier with the school and the PK2 programs!

Posted November 12, 2013

This is a wonderful school. My oldest child graduated from St. Kevin several years ago and has been very successful in high school. As a matter of fact, when she arrived in high school, the teachers were very iimpressed and still are on how well-prepared for high school she was. I also have another child currently in junior high who is also learning and loving St. Kevin. This school is a very family oriented school. There is a wonderful community feeling! I love SKS!

Posted October 27, 2013

The Principle needs to be REPLACED since she took over the school has gone down hill. Over 40 families who loved & had been there for years left St Kevin last year. The Principle has tried hiding this but all the parents know how she has run this school to the ground. She has her daughter & all her friends family members working at the school. So all the parents concerns go unheard & unattended. She tells you what you want to hear & then never follows up on it. It is sinful & a disservice what they are doing to these students. The middle school needs a clean out of teachers. Academically the middle school students are the ones suffering & behind. They are unprepared for high school so they need tutors to catch them up and fill in the gap. Their reading, wringing, science & math scores are the lowest ever. The middle school teachers are constantly telling the student how bad they are especially the religion dept. One teacher even cries in front of the students constantly. 98% of the parents are so unhappy & disappointed with the Principle & the Middle school teachers but keep on hoping for the best. This is not the school you want you child in & it is not the St Kevin it use to be.

Posted September 6, 2013

As a parent...I can say the cafeteria is wonderful, administration does have an open door policy, caring staff and great families at SKS. Unfortunately, they have several teachers in the intermediate and middle school grades who do not know what they are doing and shouldn't be teaching. They need a new admin team not afraid to let go of these teachers. Students are getting into high schools but with extensive tutoring and too many of them have to attend summer school prior to entering the High Schools of choice. They were not selected top 25 for academics if people look up the Journal it is a Business Journal which they have to subscribe to and it was for attendance not ACADEMICS. They only posted the title so it is deceiving. It has been great for the primary grades but people know they are not serving the older students well. The school knows and are trying to do a lot of PR to cover up through social media (probably posting themselves here as parents) but a reputation is built on the student/families experience and you can't hide their voice or opinions. Every where I go people share that SKS isn't the same:(

Posted September 5, 2013

My daughter just began St. Kevin but my family has been a part of SKS for many years. I have nothing but positive comments to say about this school. The comments below are not true. The administration is far from mediocre. They have welcomed our family with open arms. The faculty are true professionals that have a passion for teaching. The school is in constant communication with the parents. There is no other place that I would trust my daughters education to. These so called "40" families that left SKS for other schools does not determine how the school is overall. It is funny how some families are so easy to bash a school that was good enough for their children at one time. The comment about the lunch is ridiculous. My child is a picky eater and she says the lunch is amazing and the cafeteria director is very nice. I suggest families that are looking into SKS to come and visit the school. They will see for themselves what a positive learning environment it is with wonderful teachers, fantastic administration, and helpful staff.

Posted September 3, 2013

I am very pleased with the education my son is receiving at Saint Kevin catholic school. He's had great success. In particular, the professionals working with my child have made a difference. I look forward to his continuing progress & to enrolling my other son next year. Parents, do your own research and get facts. The information is there. You can look it up. Saint Kevin is an excellent catholic school.

Posted August 31, 2013

I'm proud to say that my kids attend a school where they are not only loved by their teachers and staff but that there is also an amazing community & parish. When we looked for a school for our kids we did extensive research. We attended many Open Houses. There is no such thing as a perfect school. What we love about St. Kevin is that our kids are safe, are very happy and are learning a whole lot. In good times and in bad we have come together as a family and community to help those in need too. Yes families have left. Not sure where the count of 40 families total came from. It's sad to see others bash the school. We're there now and we are happy. Like everything in life, changes are currently being made. But they are for the better and for the children. Academically speaking it's amazing. The common core curriculum is strong. The idea is that all students master a certain skill before moving on to the next. Many schools speed thru the curriculum and then students fall behind along the way. Why you ask? Because a certain skill wasn't mastered along the way. Common core helps prevent this. It also speaks volumes that St. Kevin has won the award of "Top 25 private schools."

Posted August 31, 2013

This is a wonderful school. The children excel in academics and are readily accepted into the high schools of their choice. They were voted one of the top 25 schools for their strong academics. This school is really an extended family. They genuinely care about the children and teach them to grow with enormous faith, which in today's society is hard to come by. This school is exceptional along with their administration and teaching staff. No school is perfect, but this school comes pretty close. Proud to be a Shamrock!

Posted August 30, 2013

It's sad how people have left this school for free education and then come on here to bash a school that has been recognized and EARNED Awards. St. Kevin has been honored as TOP 25 Private schools by the South Florida Business Journal in 2013. Many families did leave to charter schools and from the count, most have left to charter schools because it's free. Many claim class size, but what they don't tell you is that parents have to pay for the classrooms to have aides and if the parents don't pay the classroom doesn't get the aide making the student:teacher ratio much higher than the classes at St. Kevin. There are many public school and charter school teachers at our school. All i've talked to wouldn't want their kids in their schools because they feel the academics are great at our school and many want the religious and sense of community upbringing that the school has to offer. We wish you the best of luck with your new school but soon enough you will start to find faults with the places you have all gone to. Nothing is perfect.. So those of you reading these reviews, if you are considering St. Kevin, come visit the school during Open House and create your own opinion.

Posted August 28, 2013

Although the teachers are great, unfortunately that is not enough to sustain a school. The school looks like it hasn't been renovated in decades and the administration is mediocre at best. They seem to only have time for you when you are there to pay or offer something to the school. Concerns are ignored and favoritism is rampant. The administration seems to allow a select group of parents to rule the school which makes for a very comfortable environment.

Posted August 23, 2013

My child currently attends St. Kevin, I love that my child gets a catholic education but thats where my love ends for this school. The school in general need a MAJOR overhaul. The school is extremely run down and falling apart at the seams, the lunch is horrible, I would say that St. Kevin needs a reset and defiantly should be under NEW MANAGEMENT! If thing don't change quickly and drastically this will be our last year attending SKS.

Posted August 16, 2013

St. Kevin has always had a wonderful reputation in academics. The students always excel when it comes to academic events against other area schools and the students seem to be well prepared for entering high school. The teachers are very loving and caring towards their students. They work well with them to make sure that as individuals they are excelling and prepared for the material of the following school year. Hopefully I see that this trend continue in the rest of our years at this school. Some people complain about the large class sizes for a private school (35 students per class). While I agree that it is large, the school has 2 teachers in EACH class from PK2-5th grade. Most schools only have paraprofessionals in the early childhood (PK-K) years so at least having 2 is an advantage. Another plus is that many teachers at SKS not only have a Masters Degree but have gone on to get their PHD! One negative, which doesn't reflect the education of the school, is that the campus does look run down. I know we are taught not to judge a book by its cover but it doesn't give the best 1st impression. Overall, I think St. Kevin is great academically!

Posted March 7, 2013

There is a lot i can comment on but i think the most important factor is that the class sizes are HUGE for a private school; some upwards of 35 kids cramped in small classrooms. The school is pretty outdated in its activities; children seem bored at school sponsored events. Teachers are good and really care about the kids but seem to get little support and have too many kids in the class to deal with.

Posted February 5, 2013

this school isn't recommended for any child. Some of the staff could be a bit rude sometimes. There are some activities for your child such as dancing to Christmas songs but some students may not enjoy it.

Posted May 25, 2010

I am a mother of 3 students in St. Kevin and this year was my first year there. I am so happy that all children go there. They have learned so much this year. I recommend St. Kevin to any parent who wants thier child to get a good solid education with an Catholic upbring. This is from a Happy Mom!

Posted March 16, 2010

Our three children attended and graduated from St. Kevin, which spanned a total of twenty years. Our last child just moved on to high school two years ago. Each of our children thrived at St. Kevin, and each of them is very different from the others in their style of learning, their strengths and weaknesses. We found the faculty and staff highly qualified, resourceful, motivating, disciplined, and truly interested in the success and well-being of our children. Our children were extremely well prepared to handle the academic rigors of high school, as well as the social pressures, as St. Kevin gave them a strong sense of self. As a Catholic school, it taught our children about putting their faith into action, and showing concern and care for others by way of service to the community, has become a focal part of each of their lives. We would highly recommend St. Kevin.

Posted January 22, 2010

I must say that St. Kevin is an excellent school for any average child. Unfortunately St. Kevin does not serve as a nurturing environment for students that need a differentiated curriculum. Parents are all very nice unless your child is a little different. The Catholic beliefs suddenly subside and the fakeness comes up to the surface. The administration simply does not know what to do with a student that requires somewhat more. They are not equipped - have not prepared the staff with strategies. Perhaps more training is necessary. It is a Catholic school but the Catholic beliefs don't apply if you are different. The Catholic beliefs only apply if you are the same as everyone else.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • The 8th Graders have placed first at the academic olympics (2011)

Special education / special needs

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Mayra Constantino
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (305) 227-7574

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Miami

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Our Lady of Lourdes High School