Dr. Carlos J. Finlay Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 511 students

Sweep tile

Posted June 7, 2010

This is a wonderful school with an incredible program and even more incredible academic culture. I purposely transferred my daughter from private parochial school to this school in order to benefit from the dual language and gifted programs; I am elated how well this choice has panned out. The administrative staff and teachers are involved, caring, and appropriately demanding. My daughter has flourished under the stern guidance of a gifted teacher who refuses to accept "I can't," or "it's too difficult." Incredibly, with this kind of encouragement, my daughter has learned to love learning!!! I am so impressed with the program at this school that I enrolled my son in their VPK program starting in the fall, 2010 - my little guy is excited about "learning stiff" like his sister! What a delight for a parent to know that their children WANT to learn. Thank you Dr. Carlos J. Finlay Elementary!

Posted May 25, 2010

I think Dr. Carlos J Finlay is a great school! My daughter is now in 4th grade and I believe that the curriculum at Dr. Carlos J Finlay is challenging, as it should be. The Principal is very involved and committed, as well as, all other staff to offering the best education possible. In my experience the teachers that I have dealt with have been excellent. I believe they communicate what is necessary to assist the students to progress. Part of being a parent is participating actively in our child's education. While the teachers are there to teach, it is also our responsibility as parents, to reinforce the importance of studying and paying attention in class.

Posted January 8, 2009

It's a truly great and skeeterific school!

Posted November 26, 2008

I have 4 kids and they have attended this school since 2004. My oldest son already finished elementary school and the other 3 are still there. I love the environment, the teachers are excellent and dedicated, they changed the principal recently. Ther previous principal was quite a character, she was very energetic and impressed me when I first came because she was always pushing kids to be their best and telling them things like 'When there is a will, there is a way', 'We are simply, the best', etc, etc. As simple as it seems, it does a lot to their self steem and spirit of achievement. The new principal has a different style, but is a sweet and caring person, very professional and kind -- she has different strengths and it is so far doing a great job.

Posted March 11, 2008

I do not like the school. Not all children benefit from the dual language; some have a hard time with the Spanish especially when English is the primary language at home. Most of the time I am the one that teaches my son what the teachers are suppose to teach. All the administration at Finlay care about is the attendance and FCAT, to which they put to much emphasis in. They need to worry more about the education they offer the kids and not how much they can get if student go to school everyday. My son has prefect attendance does not learn much at Finlay.

Posted August 7, 2007

This school is fantastic. Their bilingual program is the #1 reason, why I placed my child in this school. The teachers are great, knowledgeable and talented. I look forward to many years with my children at Finlay Elementary.

Posted August 4, 2007

My daughter has attended the school for 4 years. She loves her school and teachers. The school is great and staff members are caring and always focus on 'reading'.

Posted November 30, 2006

I believe the school is not what you expect from an elementary school. There is no interaction with the teachers & parents. I have to rely on what my 5 year old 'remembers' to tell me.

Posted May 5, 2006

CF Elem offers a top notch, bilingual, educational program. The program is demanding and moves at a very fast pace! The school has a rigid 'keep up or ship out' disposition. If you can live without that warm and fuzzy feeling and your child is a fast learner, the education is second to none. If your child is a littler slower to pick things up, he/she will get left in the dust.

Posted November 20, 2005

Great school. Very demanding with homework but well worth it.

Posted August 24, 2005

Finlay is an excellent school with a caring supportive staff that encourages and nurtures an environment conducive to learning.

Posted February 3, 2004

I am extremely proud that my children are part of such a wonderful school. My son, now in 3rd Grade, has been attending this school since Kindergarten and my daughter now in 1st grade has been there since last year. There are no words to describe how pleased I am with the efforts of all the teachers and staff with respect to their education, well being and enthusiam towards providing the best possible education for my children. The principal, Ms. Gimenez is always accessible to all of the parents and so very pleasant indeed. The office staff are always going far and beyond in order to meet all of the parents and students needs. They are also very pleasant in dealing with all us parents. The Ass't Principal, Mr. Lux is so wonderful and always ensuring that all aspects of the school are running smoothly. The librarian, Mrs. Tariche is so wonderful as well and not to mention, Ms. Mari del Castillo and Ms. Atwell for helping all the students learn how to read and giving all of our children so much kindness and love. What else can I say about this excellent school. It gives me great peace of mind knowing that my children are part of such a wonderful school and are obtaining the best education in Dade County. I am very proactive in my children's school by constantly following up with of all their teachers and I always leave with a smile on my face. They are all so well educated, pleasant and are always willing to dedicate time to me to discuss my kids performance. I truly believe this is critical in a child's progress towards a positive and promising future for them. Lastly, I highly commend Mrs. Martin (K), Mrs. Zalamea (1st Grade), Mrs. Diaz (1st Grade), Ms. Hamilton(1st Grade), Ms. Lastra (2nd Grade), Mrs. Mederos (2nd Grade), Ms. Pulido (3rd Grade), Ms. Tyson, Ms. Morales (Art Teacher), Ms. Fuentes (Music teacher) and the rest of teacher's staff for the wonderful education they have provided and continue to provide to all of our children. God Bless them all! As a graduate of Florida International University, it gives me great pleasure that Dr. Carlos J. Finlay Elementary is affiliated and works in conjunction with the University where I graduated and obtained my degree. I feel it is great that the children have this early exposure to a University environment, therefore instilling in them the desire to want to continue growing academically. I truly believe this is the best elementary school in Dade County and more elementary schools should be built next to more universities. I feel this type of educational environment provides a sound foundation and is beneficial towards the child's future. Dr. Carlos J. Finlay Elementary Elementary School deserves to be acknowledged as one of the best, if not the best, public school in Dade County.

Posted August 26, 2003

As an educator in this school system, and having a choice of whatever school to send my children, my husband and I decided Carlos Finlay. Both my daughters attend there, one in kindergarten, the other in 3rd grade. It is the best decision I have made. Teachers are very positive, make learning fun and more importantly instill a love of learning. This is all driven by the dynamic administrative team that support the teachers' efforts. Have you ever seen a large number of teachers work on a weekend for free to open the school or prepare for an inauguration? I did and collegiality, teamwork and a passion for children was their driving force. Test scores are merely one indicator of educational success. When you take into account the low socio economic and poor language acquisition skills that these students bring to school, this school's grade A counts for a triple A. Congratulations Skeeters! (the school mascot) You're the best!

Posted April 22, 2003

One of the most important advantage of this school is that at the end of Kindergarten they know how to read in English and Spanish, both at the same time.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 0% 3%

• Ms. Cecilia C Sanchez
Fax number
  • (305) 480-7652

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now