Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 3,169

Posted July 15, 2015
This school has the best Veterinary magnets I have ever seen. Ms. Escobar is a determined teacher that knows what she's doing. I am currently a sophomore attending the school and it has been a great experience that will help me with my future career. I have learned a lot about animals and currently own a goat on campus. Any students who really wants to pursue the veterinary career should attend this school because it is honestly the best veterinary program this is. You will get to learn hands on about the veterinary field and you will have a wonderful time.

Posted March 01, 2015
I have been teaching at Varela since the school opened in 2000. I don't mean to say it's a perfect school but Varela is definetly one of the best High Schools in Miami. It is a safe, nurturing, and academically challenging learning environment for students. Ms Fins, her administrative team, staff and teachers work very closely and efficiently in order to meet the needs of the students and parents. The activities director is demanding but amazing: all the Varela events, Homecoming dance, Grad Bash, Senior luncheon, Prom have always been top notch and classy. There are wonderful musical events (Coffee night, Battle of the bands, &concerts) and Theater/Broadway productions well worth the $5 entrance. Overall, there is great school spirit. The school buildings and school grounds are very clean. Besides the different magnets, Varela offers dual-enrollment and has one of the best AP programs in the County. Of course, some teachers are better than others and some classes are more interesting than others but overall, this is a great choice for your child's High School education.---an objective teacher with an insider's view

Felix Varela Senior High School 2

Posted October 12, 2014
I go to this school and let me tell you.. ITS HORRIBLE! Everything is so grimey and gross. I honestly hate it. When people think of public schools and imagine bad things about them, Varela is a perfect example of that. This school has NO school spirit what so ever and most of the teachers are careless and could care less if you failed. Also they teach very badly! My math teacher barely shows up to class and when she does she shows us youtube videos of someone explaining what to do because she can't even teach. Avoid putting your child here at all costs.

Posted June 18, 2014
I was apprehensive at first about sending my daughter here. She is our oldest and we didn't know much about the highschools in the area. I will say that we DEFINITELY made the right decision. She is in the I-Prep program and absolutely loves it. The administraion is top notch! I remember sitting at a softball game and the assistant principal knew the majority if not all of the girls on the team. Just shows they really do care.

Posted May 02, 2014
As a parent of three former I can attest to the quality of instruction at this school. The Veterinary Acadmy is the best in town. My youngest daughter completed her FVMA CVA certification in the program and worked at a veterinary office during her undergraduate studies. She will be attending medical school in the fall. She attributes her success to Ms. Escobar and her love of animals. This lady bent over backwards to help my daughter and all of her students. Mr. Escobar, Mrs. Garneff and principal Ms. Fins were amazing too.

Posted November 14, 2013
Felix Varela is full of patient, dedicated teachers, who are passionate about their subjects and students. They offer more AP classes than many private schools, have a long and extremely diverse list of electives, and great extracurriculars. I graduated from the school in 2010, and since then, 2 of my younger sisters have attended the school. Because of the hard work of my teachers at Varela, I made it to an Ivy League school. As long as you can take advantage of available resources, this school can take you far.

Felix Varela Senior High School 4

Posted October 08, 2013
Unfortunately there lots of unhappy people everywhere, I think the parent that talk bad about their child school or teacher, not doing any favor to their kid and if they feel so bad about their kid being in this school why don t they home school their kids. My child is a student in Varela and love the school. The teachers are fear and yes there lots of home work but that come with the grade. I being in the school a couple of times, the staff and teachers I meet where very professional and helpful.

Felix Varela Senior High School 1

Posted August 10, 2013
Terrible Ms.Suarez the english teacher is a bully, shes been bulling my child since day one . she needs to be FIRED!!!! A$AP no Rocky

Felix Varela Senior High School 2

Posted December 17, 2012
Unfortunately, I've had to deal with the staff at this school too many times. Ms. Escobar was the worst of all. Not only doesn't she disrespect students who politely apporach her but has the same attitude toward parents. She measures every student with one stick. She doesn't allow you to speak and only sees her point of view. It's a shame we still have teachers of this caliber in our education system. If she can't handle the workload, then she should allow someone else to do her job. I don't need to listen to her rambling about how irresponsible students are.

Felix Varela Senior High School 4

Posted October 04, 2011
I am a former student of this school, I graduated in 2006. I came from a private school into Varela and honestly this is a pretty good school it may not be the best but it is pretty high up there compared to all the other high schools in the area. they have AP and honors classes and have many different clubs, so they definitely try and make opportunities happen for those students who try.

Felix Varela Senior High School
15255 Southwest 96th Street, Miami, FL  33196
Last modified Felix Varela Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Felix Varela Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 80 reviews. Top