Robert Morgan Educational Center

Public | 9-12 | 2250 students

Posted December 3, 2013

Robert Morgan is no doubt not a famous brand name school in Miami-Dade county with only students who are over-achievers. However, it is a great place for students of all levels. They have AP, Honors and Dual-Enrollment courses when the students are ready academically. The administration is not there to make the school look good. They are there to educate the students to reach their fullest potential. It is a very down to earth high school with students who have good nature. The teachers are phenomenal and they are always trying to help the students. You could get an excellent education in Robert Morgan if you have a motivated child, the resources are available.

Posted October 24, 2013

My school is the best school ever and im GLAD that im here in this school because i can see my friends and i think all the teacher are cool even the princial and assissant princepal

Posted August 6, 2013

I wrote the review on 08/20/10. I'm surprised I gave it 3 stars at that time. Well, it had only been a year. Now after 4 years I can say that I can't give it more than 1 star. Maybe if it were a regular school, it could get 3 stars.This school touts the fact that it is a "magnet" school, but to me it is just a 2nd rate school that is equal to most home schools out there. My son probably would have been better off going to Killian, his home school. The attendance office staff is so apathetic, I wonder why they have a job dealing with people. In four years of dealing with this school, I can honestly say that with the exception of a handful of really good and caring teachers (Mrs. Adger and Ms. Harden), there is nothing great about it. It's not even average in my opinion.

Posted August 1, 2013

Our Granddaughter excelled at Robert Morgan and graduated with honors. We have been very pleased with the educational program at Robert Morgan.

Posted June 4, 2013

To every single person reading this, I'm an excellent student and love to be proud of where I graduate from. Unfortunately, I advise everyone to apply elsewhere. Four years in this school is way too much. Awful administration, starting with the principal who would rather look up shoes online. The academies are very poor ( I only recommend the Nursing program) but the actual core classes are taught by subpar teachers. AP and Honors teachers are a bit better (some not all) but avoid regular classes, that is if you don't just want to sit and be bored all day. The best teachers at RMEC are retiring soon so the school will only get worse. The administration does nothing to improve and the counselors are horrendous. I suggest going to another school, even if you are just going for the academies, go elsewhere for the sake of your education. I know some ratings on here are good, but the school has steadily decreased over the years. The student body does not care about anything because they know they will not be penalized. The administration may portray the school to be awesome but they always put on a pleasant show to get students to attend only for them to want to transfer within a year.

Posted May 22, 2013

I used to go to this school personally. I want to warn every parent out there that this school did not give me the education I wanted. Yes the academies are a nice touch but more than half of the academies are worth it. Most of the time you'll be siting there playing on computers and talking endlessly about your day. There were a few teachers that were regular and that were good, but those were rare and they often left early because the current principle did not give a satisfactory job. I'm not writing this review to spite the school or to condemn their space, just to warn parents to take caution and really review the school, ask for a surprise tour and ask students how they feel being at Robert Morgan. Do not send your child to this school unless you want four full years of disappointment and worry. I only withstood those four years because I took AP and Honor classes. Any classes lower than that and your child is probably not going to get an education. Its true it was good in the past but after 2010, it only went down. I suggest you take other schools like Coral Reef or Mast Academy. NOT Robert Morgan. If you truly want to guarantee your child's future.

Posted May 7, 2013

This school is honestly THE absolute best school that Dade County has. They offer a plethora or academic classes, there academy strands are fantastic and very dedicating, and the teacher are phenomenal and great with the students. They really focus on there weakness to improve them and focus on there strengths just as much in order to further enhance there skills. (:

Posted August 23, 2012

This would have been my daughter's 2nd year at RMEC. Last year, I wasn't impressed with this school's administration and my daughter had an even worse science teacher than she'd had in middle school (I didn't think that was possible)...and that teacher was named the school's "Science Teacher of the Year"! Her AP World History and Spanish classes had some 40-50 students in them! However, she had an excellent Art (Drawing and Painting) teacher and she was looking forward to taking Sound Engineering this year. No one from the administration came to the end-of-the-year art show! Over the summer, the school lost the Art, Sound Engineering, Chorus (who is there for the 1st 3 weeks for the students), and Spanish/French teachers. They hadn't replaced the Sound Engineering teacher (and rumor has it that he won't be replaced) and Spanish was going to be via the Florida Virtual School. The new Art teacher started the year with 'macaroni art' and was not going to be very challnging, so my daughter asked for a Transfer on Day 2. That was the best decision we've made, because now she has a great administration and small classes, and BOTH the Art and Sound Engineering teachers from here.

Posted August 20, 2011

SO very disappointed in this school. I thought this school would be a second best choice but after my daughter's first year I am apalled that they call this a "magnet" school. The academy my daughter chose does absolutely nothing. She is in the computer design program so you would think she would be learning all she could about graphic arts...the teacher does not share his time evenly with ALL the students or at least as many as possible. When I ask my daughter what she did in class, she tells me how boring it was due to the teacher not "teaching" and how the kids are basically on their own. My daughter only had 2 teachers that were awesome, her honors language arts teacher and honors biology teacher. The afterschools activities lack BIG time...NO variety at all. They have no sports program and are so adament about "NEVER GOING TO HAVE ONE"...so don't ask. Trying to be part of the PTO is a mission in it self but they sure want your money. The schools website is not user friendly. There is no pride or excitement about the school. The school just seems...lazy. School starts tomorrow and I'm trying to sike my daughter up but...wish we accepted Terra High School's offer. Stupid us!

Posted July 17, 2011

Exceedingly disappointing. Students are NOT CHALLENGED to their full potential, much less by sufficient homework. By "sufficient" I DON'T mean excessive, I mean adequate enough to maintain a sufficient level of proficiency (eg: math) or engage their minds with the ideas, concepts and background (ie: history) of that which they are purported to be taught. Furthermore, regular "teachers" are wasteful of the classroom time to cover their subjects, and waste much of it on unproductive and/or irrelevant material (sometimes not even academically related). Substitute teachers are, as well, highly ineffective, failing to provide what should be a continuation of the educational process for the respective course, and instead function merely as babysitters and fill-in, providing no instruction or academic opportunity. Apathy permeates the student body as well as the faculty and staff, again, providing no "fertile ground" for minds to grow and be prepared for a higher learning and a more meaningful and productive career and adulthood. To cap it off, there is also little expectation of parents or attempts by faculty and staff to EXPECT and REQUIRE proper adherence to proper social norms.

Posted April 28, 2010

My son was in engineering and enjoyed his time there. He appreciated the terrific teachers there. He was especially pleased with his English teacher who has a Phd. and assisted him with his college essays. Some very smart kids go there and since they choose to be there and need to maintain a 'C' average, there is little problems at this school. One nice thing about having a culinary arts school there is that kids can get really, really good food and treats from their food court. The lack of a football team was not an issue for my son, though I would have liked for him to have the high school football experience. However, he will still get to enjoy his collegiate sports experience. Thanks, Robert Morgan.

Posted February 15, 2010

This school is as great as what you make out of it. There is a chance that your kid might enroll into several AP classes by the time they graduate, leaving with a nice chunk of credits under their belt along with an advanced knowledge in whatever vocational/performing arts academy they choose to be in. It is just as easy for a student to abuse the resources available and fail to go far in school, finding themselves after school retaking classes. I'm currently a senior at this school and I'm proud to say that I took advantage of what was offered. That said, I have passed 3 AP classes and expect to take 5 more tests before this year is over. I am active beyond the classroom in Engineering (my academy) and take up several leadership roles in the clubs available. Like I said, this school has potential coinciding with the student.

Posted April 16, 2009

This school is academically advanced. It offers excellent college prepatory classes and it is a safe high school. I would recommend this school to any student that is serious about their future.

Posted February 22, 2009

I am a parent of a sophmore. I agree with the student who complained about not being able to change his/her major. If they won't let students change their major, they should at least offer electives from each academy that would allow the students to get an insight into another field of study. If a culinary student wants to get a feel for engineering, or commercial arts, or drama, or cosmetology, he/she should be able to do that by taking an elective in one of those other areas. When I was in high school, I wanted to be an accountant. I did not realize how much I hated accounting until I got to college and took the courses. I wish that I could have found that out in high school. Students should be allowed to try different areas of study in high school.

Posted February 21, 2009

I am a current senior at Robert Morgan, I attend the Culinary Art's program and I am proud to say that myself. In my opinion the school would be a good choice for a student looking to get a early hands on experience with the profession they are looking forward to in the future. One bad thing about that is if lets say mid way into your time there at the school you wished to change to a different academy the administration won't let you, I find that just wrong, why stop someone from learning something they are interested in? Even if they changed their mind. Also, the lack of motivated clubs or a athletics program is just disappointing. Overall I would rate the school a 3 out of 5 by my point of view, and I stand by it.

Posted March 7, 2008

Robert morgan appears to be an excellent school at first glance. Although there are not many dedicated teachers and few extracurricular activities. This effects the motivation level of the students and there is not much to do when there are poor grades nd participation in a large class. you are just simply stuck with dealing with that or night school. There tends to be also a lack of organization. At times the students run and persuade most of the activities. And there are not many to actually enjoy . the school is okay but you can tell it has only been and existing high school for a few years. sadly half the kids are here because they werent excepted to coral reef bittersweet. i can vouch for this because i am a ex-student and there are about 75 kids who leave after freshman and sophmore year 30% graduate to a four year college..

Posted September 27, 2007

I give the school a 4 star rating. I am very disappointed that the school does not yet have an atheletic program.

Posted June 18, 2007

Robert Morgan Educational Center is a very good school! all of their teaching methods are great and up to higher standards of education.

Posted September 26, 2006

Well great news my daughter is the first 5 year graduating class of 2007 at RMEC. I am super proud of the administration, teachers and staff. Since, my daughter is eager to meet all the deadlines with college, I need some help to direct her. She works very hard to make the right choices. I am again happy to see many students at RMEC achieve a great education and hopes for a new future.

Posted May 24, 2006

This school is really good There is rarely have any fights and if there is those kids are kicked out

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

592 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

545 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

546 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

533 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

522 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

18180 Southwest 122nd Avenue