Archimedean Academy

Charter | K-5 | 579 students

Posted August 20, 2013

My two sons have been to this school for 21/2 years. My neighborhood school has pretty buildings and is well organized but I prefer unorganized archimedean for the academics. I switched from my neighborhood school to a magnet school and from the magnet school to this archimedean. The teachers are very caring and knowledgeable. The principal and vice principal are super nice and respectful. I pick this school because it is ranked among the best in Florida. Even though the organization is terrible, I don't care because my children are learning a lot. I disregard the fact that the after school care is not good because I want my children to be challenged. Ange

Posted August 13, 2013

I totally agree with other parents this school is not for everybody, this is for students who wants to work hard if some parents don't like the school for any reason just simple try with other schools and give the opportunity to other students. Is true when you guys say in special events we can see some disorganization but that does not take away the credit of being a good school.

Posted August 3, 2013

You know there is something wrong when teachers who WORK at the school tell you that they would NEVER send their own children to that very same establishment.

Posted August 3, 2013

I agree with many points made by other parents. In a nut shell, the school did receive the best FCAT scores, but the administration leaves a lot to be desired. They work hard to push the students, academically, but they do NOT work hard to ensure that no student is left behind. Each special event at the school was terribly chaotic and disorganized and even something as simple as picking up my children from school became an arduous task, because many times, the "phone systems were down," so they could not call to find out where the children were located, or have them sent to the front office. This was a safety concern for me, because if they could not find my children on a regular basis, what am I to think of how they would keep accountability during an emergency situation? I was also not happy with the way the staff treated non-Spanish-speaking families. It was as if those who did not speak Spanish were treated as second-class citizens and those who spoke Spanish always received priority of service. Overall, this was not a good experience for my family, and our children will not be attending another year at this school.

Posted August 3, 2013

The school was not at all what we expected; the math curriculum was its best feature, but the program as a whole, left a lot to be desired. The after school program is HORRIBLE. The after care providers yelled at the children, and did not make sure that their homework was done. There was no organization whatsoever and the aftercare staff was completely unprofessional. They did not seem to care how the program was run, it just appeared to me that they were there to collect a paycheck. We expressed our concerns several times and when nothing was done, we paid for an outside agency to pick our children up after school so that they could be under more competent care, until my wife and I got off work. Even when the contracted afterschool provider came to pick the children up, every few days she was directed to a new location from which to retreive the children. Many times, she was sent all over the school campus, to find them herself. Completely disorganized and unacceptable. When speaking to other parents about the after school program, they stated that they made similar complaints, however nothing was done to fix it.

Posted June 13, 2013

My school is fantastic ive been there since kindergarten thats over 10 years now and I've never heard of a better school. Now we're the most philosophical school in the entire u.s. and we've got not 1 but TWO blue ribbon awards we were the only in Florida to get it.

Posted April 22, 2013

I completely agree with you. Archimedean in my opinion goes above and beyond. While it is true that there is room for improvement. Its minor and I am sure with the hard work and dedication of Teachers, parents and administration our school will continue to excel and blow everyone out of the water. I am so proud to say my daughter goes to Archimedean. Every year she learns more and more. Her teachers love what they do, work hard to teach our children and they nurture them all while teaching them discipline and responsibility!!! We have to expect our children to work hard, to have more work and not be lazy. My daughter has straight As and a great social life. But she knows school is first. ThankS, gracias Archimedean !!

Posted March 15, 2013

Wow really the afterschool care is not what I expected it to be. The counselors are NOT qualified and capable. My children tell me that the counselors constantly yell at the students often times telling/yelling at them to shut up. They are told to put thier heads down, it is getting out of control. Also too many students to couselor; the ratios need to be investigated.

Posted March 10, 2013

Excellent school, very rigorous, great aftercare activities , this school is the best school for math and science , the school is very strict.

Posted March 9, 2013

I have to say I was so excited when my daughter was accepted into Archimedean Academy, but I quickly realized this environment is not for every child. It is very difficult for small children to move 6 to 7 times a day to a different teacher for every subject. This may be great for middle school, but way too much for a kindergartener. You may communicate with the homeroom teacher important information, but it never gets disseminated to the rest of the staff due to the number children your child's homeroom teacher sees a day. As far as academics the school does strive to challenge the students, but fails to help those that have fallen behind or are struggling. Sadly this will be my daughter's last year here. The last years have been constant struggle and she is very unhappy to go to school. It may be great environment for some children, but for others not a great fit!

Posted January 8, 2013

This school does not live up to its reputation or scores in real life. Enough said.

Posted November 29, 2012

My child attended this school for 6 years. He did not want to attend for Middle School so I applied at a magnet program and he was accepted. He is now struggling in Math in the 6th grade. While at Archimedean he never showed any problems in Math as he would bring home A's & B's. Makes me wonder how highly "academic" they really are or if they only teach for the sake of FCAT scores.

Posted October 20, 2012

My 2 children have attended this school for 5 years. Once a private school-like, family-friendly environment. This has disintegrated year after year due to the school's focus on high performance is concentrated on FCAT scores which detracts from nurturing young children's love for learning. Overload hw & no respect for family time during holidays or vacations. The administration leach off parents when they need monetary donations or volunteers for events/school improvement but otherwise turn same parents away & make them feel unwelcomed in what was formerly a warm & inviting environment. Students do not respect but FEAR the assistant principal. She intimidates children & has grudges against certain children. She lacks professionalism & is demeaning to students as well as parents. Activities are disorganized, rushed & announced at the last minute. Administration doesn't seem sincere in their interest in student activities & appear to be going through the motions when they participate. Mandatory Saturday school lacks purpose & is redundant. It isn't geared to improve any specific skill. Extracurricular activities are limited & money-making devices rather than for children's benefit

Posted October 18, 2012

To the reviewer below, the same thing happened to my daughter last year in the 2nd grade. I was lucky to apply at another charter school & they had a spot mid year that I accepted. At first I was hesitant in making the switch mid year, but now that she is in the 3rd grade I could not be happier. All I can advise is to go with your gut instinct. It is going getting worse...

Posted October 18, 2012

This is to the last 3 disappointed reviewers below. It is not going to get worse because all the positive and optimistic parents are going to support the school. Archimedean is not a perfect a school. I think that this perfect school does not exist. It is true that the school needs some improvements but we all need to collaborate as a team and support the school to achieve that goal. If you want your kids to have fun take them to another school because the main goal of Archimedean is to prepare the kids academically. I support that, and I think that this is good for our kids. I expect a lot of challenging homework every day, the more the better. Ian my opinion we all need to find the time to sit down with our kids in order to support them on a daily basis. This is a good way to communicate with them and understand their progress. It is better than complaint and blain the school for giving us a lot of homework. Leave the fun for the weekend! Gracias Archimedean for taking care of my kid. Every year we will do better and better. Count on me and giving you 6 stars!

Posted September 14, 2012

My kid has been there since Kindergarten ... every year it's worst. Admin people don t care what parent think, poor attitude, hard to speak with them. Disorganized, last minute meetings, cancellations,... Not satisfied with after school either. Impossible to speak with the persons who takes care of the kids. Teachers are very good but not the admin people and their rules .

Posted September 11, 2012

I have children at this school who have attended the school since Kindergarten and are now entering 2nd and 3rd grade. I am currently looking at other options because of my overall dissatisfaction with the school. We have many concerns. The administration is extremely disorganized and many meetings and events are often rescheduled or if they do take place they always seem rushed and unprepared. Administration also has a poor attitude and appears annoyed when speaking to parents. This negative attitude also is reflected with the teachers treatment of children in the classroom. Positive reinforcement is not used often at this school. The education in this elementary school is probably average to above average. The Greek Math is the biggest overall stresser for most students and parents even when your child is a straight A student. Gifted programs in public schools probably offer a more challenging curriculum overall, with the exception of the Greek Math. Many of the Greek Teachers are not certified in the US either, which is concerning because what background checks or information do we have about these teachers that are with our children everyday.

Posted April 2, 2012

Nothing is perfect, but if you want a SAFE environment and a GOOD education, go to Archimedean. Indeed, the infrastructure of the building can definitely be improved (no decent cafeteria or auditorioum) but it makes it up when you think about parent involvement and communication with the teachers. I am surprised at the prior comments about bullying, as they have a "O TOLERANCE POLICY" and I have seen it enforced plenty of times (sometimes to the extreme). However, this is the only way the school can make it fair and safe for all the students. Nevertheless, it is not a school for everyone. The academic standards are high, and you as a parent NEED TO get involved with projects and homework if you want them to succeed. I think, as a working parent, that it is a sacrifice we have to make and it helps to know what our kids are doing and how are they doing. The homework can indeed be excessive sometimes but I rather for them to be studying that watching TV or video games all the time. By now they are so used to it thaty do not complaint!!!! (My kids are in 4 & 5th grade) and they do have time for after school activities (they go to dance lessonsa nd bible study every week).

Posted November 11, 2011

Its a good school but it is not the best. My daughter is coming from an IB magnet school and she is learning on the same level as she was in the other school but the Greek language. The PTO is extremely active, but however there is no organization at the events.

Posted July 13, 2011

Responding with disbelief to the previous message: Bullying and DANGER?????? Are we talking about the same school???? I am awed by this message!!!!!! This is the total opposite of my impression!! This is one of the safest schools around....

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

71 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 26%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel