Archimedean Academy

Charter | K-5 | 579 students

Posted June 9, 2014

Archimedean Academy is a great school for academics. Teachers are well prepared and organized. The biggest flaw this school has is the administration office and it's staff. Staff members are not always friendly and are rude. . My child was given to a family member who had never picked him/her up from school prior and no ID was requested. Parent volunteers are not asked to complete a background check, I know because I volunteer at this school and I've never been asked to complete a background check as required my Dade county. The lunch program is outrageous and a rip off. If your son/daughter would like to sign up for pizza every Thursday be aware that you will pay $16 for the month, however what the school doesn't tell you is that if there are 5 Thursday's in the month instead of the usual 4 Thursday's then you will be charged $80 instead of $16 for the 5th Thursday. Your child will only learn Greek no other languages other than English will be available during the regular school schedule. Overall I have mixed feelings about the school what keeps me here are the wonderful parental relationships and friendships my child and I have cultivated over the years.

Posted May 27, 2014

I graduated from this school 3 years ago and I have been attending it since Pre-K. At first I loved it, especially since it was good in academics. However, as the years passed, the school got worse and worse. There are so much politics it's not even funny. The teacher's kids get SO many benefits. Also, the teachers are bullies. And speaking of bullying, I was severely bullied in 4th and 5th grade and I told the teachers, but no one did anything about it. This school only gets good test scores because the students are brainwashed into ONLY preparing for the FCAT. And we have to learn Greek language and math here which is pretty cool, but a total waste of time. The school should dedicate its time to getting better facilities and handling children's problems instead of solely focusing on test scores, hiring Greek teachers, and ruining kid's elementary school experience. Most of my friends since the beginning have already left the school for the same reasons. Even the PTA president and her children left as well as several teachers who have children that attended the school! I only recommend the school for antisocial robots who feel no emotion nor care about life.

Posted May 9, 2014

As for the as aftercare, its even worse than the school. The asst principle herself told me that they have complained about the aftercare many times and nothing changes. Last week I picked up my son early and no one could find where my son was. I called later that day to complain and they told me that my son was ok and sitting in class. He had been home with me for almost three hours ...

Posted April 29, 2014

I am a 1st grade student at Archimedean Academy. I love this school because I LOVE every subject.

Posted April 27, 2014

I have commented before, so I won't be repetitious. In almost every review that has 5 stars the word "academics" is used. I wonder if it is the same reviewer, like when the used the dramatic "torn to pieces like a pack of feral dogs" was used. I have heard that before. Lastly, in a recent communication from the schools director, he salutes the ranking by schooldigger.com of AA in the top 25 for FCAT's results for 2013. A little less than candid misuse of statistics, since AA was ranked number 13 for the previous year 2012. So in fact iAA went down from 13th to 25th place at schooldigger.com!!!

Posted March 14, 2014

My daughter's been attending Archimedean since Kinder, it's been almost 3 years and even though there are definitely areas for improvement I consider it to be a very good school. She's learning,her math and reading skills are great for a 7yo and I have to say discipline in the school is top priority.I agree with other comments, this is not a school for everyone..there is homework on summer, and for every long weekend too BUT you always know of that with enough time to plan ahead; they do put a lot of emphasis on SATs and FCATs and during test season kids get one-on-one with the teachers for interventions and I know from grades 3 to 5 there's Saturday school where you child is expected to attend in the morning to prep for tests; again, not a school for everyone. Teachers are all great! communication with them is basically via email and their responses and fast. I also have to mention to parents trying to make a decision, my daughter is not a genius, I think she's a smart little girl who gets in trouble every once in a while but even with the pressure of academics and strict discipline she loves her school and her friends! So to me as long as she's happy & learning I'm all good.

Posted March 1, 2014

This school doesn't teach what it preaches. Some of the teachers are bullies. Sometimes my 7 and 8 year old children don't want to go to school. They are only concern with the donations that you have too provide during the year and lets not forget the Fcat results. This school is not for children that struggle to learn. The parents have to put maximum effort in their studies.

Posted February 21, 2014

I am a parent of a child the principal Ms. Simpson tried to run out of the school. It is true.. they will run you out because they are not interested in the true education of children. Rather, the self falling egos of the Greeks and other parents!! The parents and the Greeks run that school. The principal and assistant principal are just puppets. Every year their scores go down and they scramble to keep them up. They don't provide current material for science nor social studies. It all consists of worksheets and teaching to state exams. The only child they want are those that can't think for themselves. They leave that school with no common sense or real world applications. So sad to hear a "leader" of a school say we can't teach your child.. Shame on the director for having that kind of leadership in the office.

Posted February 10, 2014

The school has had some rough patches and issues, but overall its an excellent school. Its academics are top-notch and push many of the more ambitious children to succeed. If your child isn't very interested in Academics, then I suggest you don't even apply, because they'll be torn up like a pack of feral hogs

Posted February 4, 2014

My child is currently enrolled in Archimedean Academy and I have to tell you...it's been a stressful year. #1 thing to know is that If you are not an involved parent, your child will have a very hard time in school. Here are some pros and cons. Pros: The education is phenomenal! <-reason for the 4 stars. My kindergartener is excelling in reading and math. He is even speaking in Greek! There is great parent/ teacher communication. Parents are always informed. The homework is uploaded online, so you always know what your child has to do. There are a lot of afterschool activities to choose from. The teachers help a child who is falling behind one on one, on teacher planning days. We have a lot of events. Cons: The school is extremely strict. My kindergartener to this day, is still having a hard time adjusting to the strict environment. You may not have to pay tuition, but you do have to pay for just about everything else. Prepare to get a lot of "we need this" emails. Homework has to be printed out at home, which 30+ pages a week = a lot of ink. The afterschool programs and the lunch program are expensive. You will be charged regardless of use. The homework is excessive.

Posted October 21, 2013

Parents, this school is not what it appears to be. Your child is nothing but a numbet. The principal has no rapport with the children. Students often cry with the tactics administration uses to reprimand the students. Very much exhibit bully behaviours themselves. Aftercare is a disaster. At any given moment you can see children crawling on the floor while homework is to be done. My child spent hours at home completing assignments that could have been completed in aftercare. The principal knows its a problem but unfortunately nothing gets done about it. The greeks run the school with old school teaching and are not certified. My child cannot wait to leave this school and frankly neither can I!

Posted September 27, 2013

Archimedean Academy is an excellent school. I was looking for a school that offers a strong academic education for my son and this was my first choice. The administration is very friendly and makes you feel welcome. They care about the education of your child and are concern about the student s performance in an individual basis. The only thing I really don't like is the afterschool care.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter has been coming to Archimedean since 1st grade. To this day I think it was a blessing that my daughter was able to enter this school. I moved to NY in 2011 and I was not able to find a school that compared to Archimedean. I found a greek school but the level of education was by far not even close to Archimedean. So I moved back. I recommend this school to everyone I know with children. This is an awesome, awesome school!!!!

Posted September 25, 2013

As a student from archimedean (graduate) i can verify that this school is challenging. Although the work load is exceedingly heavy, it has overly prepared me for college. As a graduate now attending one of the top schools in the nation, i will say this: if you are willing to put in the work it is worth it. I may not have been one of the "super stars" archimedean brags about, but the competitive nature of the school and special attention the teachers give have helped me to succeed. The teachers are extremely dedicated, and the school constantly keeps us in check. If your child does require extra attention due to mental disabilities, the rigorous, face-paced academic program may be problematic for your child, but for those whose child is not being challenged, or has dreams of going to Harvard, This is a good place to start. The elementry school is advanced, the middle school, top notch , and highschool is a sucess story in itself. The journey may have been tough, but it was worth it! Ps. Enroll your child in extra curriculars over the summer. He/she will have no social life prior to fcat season or AP season.

Posted September 21, 2013

Yes, Archimedean Academy is a great school when they teach above average students. If your child is not above average academically it won't take long before you remove him/her from the demanding stresses it puts on your child. If you don't remove him their overly aggressive characters(especially the Greeks) will certainly make him/her quit. What remains are the smart kids which is why they have such high FCATs. If they want to flatter themselves they should try teaching a child that needs the extra attention and succeeding. Greeks in general have that iron fist attitude which can damage a child permanently. On top of that the funding they used to receive by the Greek government has ended since their Country has been overrun by the greedy, selfish, two faced, lying characters that have plagued the Greek people recently. The question is will you follow those who have followed the one parent of an overly smart child to realize it was not the school that made that child smart, instead the child that made that school known. Shame on you Archimedean and shame on the Greeks that run it. Superintendent Carvalho has taken many public schools in Florida to A+ status, give that a try.

Posted September 15, 2013

Archimedean academy is a great& challenging school that excels in both science & math. It offers a very rigorous academic program hence not for everyone . It is for kids that are driven & enjoy learning and/ or kids with more actively involved parents.There is even homework on summer & weekends :) .My 2 kids in school ( 1 in high school )are very happy &besides excelling in their academics,both are also involved in clubs, sports & other extracurricular activities. It's tough & a lot of work but i find it good for my kids because they have learned the importance of time management & responsibility . ( less time for video games/ phone / tv) . And yes, they do get a enough free time to play or do fun things:)!The teachers & the principals are strict yet very caring , accommodating , professional & dedicated. Most stay in the afternoon or come on the weekends to free tutoring to the kids in need. I like ambience of being not so big that parents mostly know each other &the kids have been together since kindergarten . Needless to say , it's not perfect. It needs more organized after school program & better facilities for sports / art / music .Overall, love it!

Posted September 6, 2013

Best school in MiAmi, children learn another language, not Spanish like everywhere else , but Greek.

Posted August 20, 2013

My two sons have been to this school for 21/2 years. My neighborhood school has pretty buildings and is well organized but I prefer unorganized archimedean for the academics. I switched from my neighborhood school to a magnet school and from the magnet school to this archimedean. The teachers are very caring and knowledgeable. The principal and vice principal are super nice and respectful. I pick this school because it is ranked among the best in Florida. Even though the organization is terrible, I don't care because my children are learning a lot. I disregard the fact that the after school care is not good because I want my children to be challenged. Ange

Posted August 13, 2013

I totally agree with other parents this school is not for everybody, this is for students who wants to work hard if some parents don't like the school for any reason just simple try with other schools and give the opportunity to other students. Is true when you guys say in special events we can see some disorganization but that does not take away the credit of being a good school.

Posted August 3, 2013

You know there is something wrong when teachers who WORK at the school tell you that they would NEVER send their own children to that very same establishment.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

71 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 26%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel