Lamar Louise Curry Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1100 students

Posted June 19, 2014

My daughter just finished 3 miserable years at curry. She was always stressed and depressed at this school. She was constantly overworked, the staff and kids were mean. The IB program puts alot of pressure on these kids and they're arrogant. Maybe as a parent you think they're getting a good education but at the cost of their good mental health.

Posted January 7, 2014

I graduated from this school and I can say this is one of the best schools in Miami.The staff are caring and very helpful to all your needs. I was there first graduating class and I am proud to be a curry cub.

Posted September 26, 2013

My son will graduate this year from Lamar I'm truly looking forward to it. He has been going to this school for three years and hasn't enjoyed it at all, he has been bullied and nothing gets done he has gone thru depressions because of this, I think the kids are very cruel.. I do agree though that it has some wonderful teachers that do care in some way..

Posted June 26, 2013

I just graduated from Curry in the I.B program and can NOT say enough good things about this school. The best teachers (especially Mrs.Menendez,Mr.Lizcano,Mrs.Suarez,and Mr.Anduray) I have ever had in all my school years (I have been in six schools) have been here. I love the program as it pushes you to succeed and thus only the best can go through.And yes,there are rewards,but only for the best kids.For example,there are Principal Honor Roll Breakfasts,field trips,ceremonies,field day,trophies, dinners,and so many more.The teachers really prepare you for the state tests and(though you may complain about the work at first) will always give you the best of scores.The number one thing you should know if you want to enter I.B is: DO NOT PROCRASTINATE Trust me,all of the work you have done will pay in the future.You will make friends that will last a lifetime and if you are in the I.B you will remain with the same group of kids for three years and most likely all of you will go on to Ferguson, too. The new I.B coordinator is great and truly takes the best out of students. Lots of security in the school, great library, great kids (at least in the I.B program), just great, great, great!

Posted January 5, 2013

Awesome School! Great Teachers! Mrs.Daniels,Mrs.Hewell,Mrs.Perez,Mrs.Mosley,and Mr.Flores are all excellent teachers.All this teachers made my daughter excel and she has a new love for .I am sad my daughter had to leave the school,because we had to move out of the area .I wish I could take this school and their teachers with us.My is very sad to leave..I hope her new school is as good as this one. The staff is good too specially the counselors.We are really going to miss this school!!!

Posted August 17, 2012

Im a student here. Currently entering 8Th grade. I've been reading the reviews and their are many lies but many truths. The office staff does have an attitude but overall they get the things done. There are a few fights but you cant blame the school for that. I do the think the school is strict. They do have many after school activities and PTSA for the parents. The teachers are great and teach very well. I use to be in classes were kids weren't at the same level as me and here they have 3 academic levels so if your not regular and not gifted there's still something for you advanced. I truthfully love this school. Parents if your having doubts about the school, don't because this is a perfect school.

Posted June 24, 2012

The school is GOOD. Not great. There's a lot of drugs and fights after school. I'm a very good student and I don't participate in those events but even I get offered to smoke. Make sure to talk to your child about drugs and major troubles because they WILL be dealing with it. I'm a 7th grader now and I've dealt with a lot of cyber bullying from some kids. There can be very HORRIBLE kids at that school. Warn your child about ignoring them. On the side of staff's ... the cafeteria staff is ok. If you don't have any money in your account then you can't eat. You can't sit where you want. You can't stand up to say hi to a friend. Nothing. The administration gets you in trouble for whatever is on their mind and it gets very annoying. Some parents in this review say its an EXCELLENT school but that's because they're not a student and don't really know exactly what goes on. So now you know from a students view how Lamar Louise Curry MS really is.

Posted May 5, 2012

My son is finishing the IB MIddle Years program at Curry and I could not be happier. In the three years he has been here, he has absolutely flourished. The school has given him the support and encouragement to grow emotionally and academically. He is surrounded by a great group of kids and I am always pleasantly surprised at the group's cohesiveness and congeniality. At a time when bullying and violence are on every teen parent's mind, I could not be more grateful to the incredible teachers, involved parents and wonderful kids at this school. My son is a confident, kind, happy, and well-adjusted teenager with a brilliant future, thanks, in great part to this fantastic school. Thank you, Lamar Louise Curry, for supporting the values we cherish and uphold at home. I will always be grateful.

Posted April 15, 2011

really are you that shallow that all you think about is a field trip??? what free field trip. This school is on of the best Middle schools Miami dade has to offer. the administration is always plesant and dissolves issues quickly. they help the students and keep a strict policy. for bullying and uniforms. they tutor there students before and on saturdays for students who didnt get great grades on the fcats. Most of the teachers teach the kids with respect. They will always be a odd teacher at every school. At least this school tries, they dont just push the kids through. Every school in Miami can improve on something but at least at this school it isnt a major issue. My girls are graduating this year too and they went on a field trip and have there prom in a few weeks. yes they probally coutd have done a fund raiser to raise money for the trips etc... but in the end it is just gonna cost us anyway... I have one more child going into curry next year, and with the boundry change for that stupid K-8 they want to build we are at risk to go to hammocks middle, now that is a bad school....

Posted April 14, 2011

Very sad to say that Lamar is just going down the hill with this new administration. The new Principle is nothing compare with Ms. Montano that was always caring and making the right choice for her students.

Posted March 31, 2011

To the person who blogged before.... Not wanting to pay for a field trip and expecting for the school to pay is ridiculous! Pay for it yourself! i have never heard such a thing in my life. Why should they pay for your kid??
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2011

My son has been to this school for 3 years and is graduating. HE NEVER EVER got picked for a free field trip. Dont go to this school if your son/daughter likes field trips and you dont want to pay.

Posted February 7, 2011

bleh... go to doral academy. i trranfered there, teachers are good, students get bullied, and the staff just doesn't care.

Posted October 8, 2010

Both of my sons have gone to this school and my youngest is still here. I have never had any problems with this school and the system is working because both of them are and have learned so much. I do agree with another parent that the office staff has some attitude going on. I also see that the school is strict but I feel that the kids need the strict rules--its worked so far so dont change it. I do agree with another parent about the after school activities--there needs to be more involvement. Keep up the good work Curry!!!

Posted August 23, 2010

I have had a very good experience with my son in this school, I think teachers and the rest of school staff are doing a great job! Congratulations!

Posted August 22, 2010

Overall, it's a great school, the teachers are great, and it's fun going there. My only complaint is that they are a little too strict, I understand that enforcing rules makes the school better, but sometimes they go overboard. They could at least let you sit wherever you want in the cafeteria, sometimes kids have to sit by themselves because the security won't let you sit wherever you want, and if you're in line with a friend ad you're waiting for them to get their food, the security people will scream at you to go sit down. I don't see the point in this because you are not slowing the line down or standing in the way of other people.

Posted January 23, 2010

It's an OK school, not worth making a big deal over. It deserves more of a C or B instead of an A. The office staff are rude and have a 'I-hate-being-here' attitude. The teachers are okay, I would have to say that Mrs. Cardenas is possibly the nicest teacher. For you parents out there, I do not recommend signing up your kids for their IB program unless you are POSITIVE they can take it. My best memory of that place was when I switched schools in the end of the second grading period, haha. The French teacher is nice, being in her class was a blast. Not only did she make class fun, she doesn't overload you with homework or classwork, she lets us watch movies sometimes, and the atmosphere in that class is just so cheerful and happy. Sometimes it has a stressful curriculum, but mostly its okay. Sincerely-Z
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 4, 2009

My daughter is in the 8th grade in the IB program and we couldn't be any happier. We always recieve all the information that we need to know in regards to everything that goes on in the school. I specially like the fact that they inforce the children with their uniforms, because I the children go to school to prepare themselves for tomorrow not to go show off or model. I have never had a problem getting in contact with the teachers, counselors and administrative staff, I have never had an issue. My son just entered the in the 6th grade in the IB Gifted and I couldn't be any happier with the school and its curriculum. I feel that the curriculum really prepares them for when they go to HS.

Posted November 25, 2009

Its a great school it may seem a bit strict but the schools curriculum is just fantastic, so many clubs, electives, it may sound boring but its not there are many choices for this school.If your child goes to this school your child will have better chance on going to a great collage than any other public school, well that is only my opinion, If you dont believe me than look at the rate on the school, amazing! -student
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 17, 2009

I think this is a Great school however, the website is horrible it provides no information to help with incoming 6th graders. Other middle schools that are not A schools provide information for parents and new students. This school does not even allow parents to be able to email administrators nor teachers, it does not even give you their email address. Why is this school so behind on this matter. I thought you were one of the best in Miami Dade.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

323 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

322 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

331 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

384 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

400 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

397 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

401 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

370 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

• MR. WANDARECE RUAN
Fax number
  • (305) 229-1521

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now