Alexander Montessori School

Private | PK-6

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $162,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted February 7, 2014

I have been involved in the Alexander School family for over twenty years now. Not only is Alexander an amazing educational institutions, it is one of the most inspiring schools I have come across. The administration and staff care so much about every single student and family, that one cannot help but to fall in love and never want to leave. Alexander not only academically prepares students, they foster a love of learning and a love for our common man. Anyone that has anything bad to say about this school is truly ludicrous. -3rd generation Alexander Montessori School Alumni

Posted October 17, 2013

Our child has been in AMS for 4 months now and the whole family could not be happier. She always comes home happy and says all the teachers and her friends love her. When I ask her if she misses her old school she tells me she doesn't want to go back. From what I see, there is just no comparison between AMS and her old school (and I would dare say many other schools) in terms of teacher preparedness, cultivation in the child's individuality and stimulation to the young brains. The teachers and staff are always friendly and responsive. I felt slightly disrespected once but luckily we don't attend that campus any more. I almost wish I could go back to childhood and experience the education my daughter is so privileged to receive. The only down side is they have a lot of teacher work days and on those days you have to pay extra for child care. But come to think about it, only quality teachers make quality students so in the bigger picture it's still all good. 6 stars for AMS! Thank you for being there for parents who cannot do everything to develop the young brains in the early years.

Posted May 30, 2013

The administration of this school has serious issues with conformity. Take special note of the part of the enrollment contract that says that "the school's programs are not designed for children with learning difficulties or emotional or psychological problems or neurological impairment". What this means in practice is that if your child is unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with some kind of developmental disorder, you will be told that your child would be "better off elsewhere", even if the problem doesn't show up in their academic achievement or in their classroom behavior. You could probably insist that they accommodate your child -- or you might decide, as we did, that you'd prefer your child to be somewhere where they aren't treated merely as an inconvenient label. Even if your child is "normal", you might prefer to spend your money somewhere that cares about education rather than just appearances. (The classroom teachers, though, are awesome.)

Posted May 10, 2013

PROUD Alexander parents since November 2006 2 sons (2nd grade & Orchid door). WE ONLY HAVE POSITIVE comments about EVERY aspect of this school. It is a family! I find the comment below upsetting since we have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy (wheelchair bound - nonverbal). They are ALWAYS so caring & welcoming to her; to the point of actually sharing resources & information that may help our daughter. I have never heard of a child being excluded from moving to 1st grade. In fact, when my son went from K to 1st (11 kids) only 4 kids left one moved away & other 3 went to different schools (parents decisions). As for the comment re: REPUTATION & MONEY I ask you have you ever owned a business? No matter what you are running it has to be a business otherwise the doors will close. We speak from experience - reputation and money are CRUCIAL in maintaining any business. If you want the truth take the time to see the school and talk to the parents that are there. The parents like us that have been there for many years. I know parents that have been part of Alexander for more than 10 years. That is something to think about. In fact, ask for us Manny & Michelle Garcia

Posted May 7, 2013

My daughter who has been at Alexander since she was eighteen months old will be attending Kindergarten next year. It amazes me that she is already working at a level way beyond Kindergarten. When you compare Alexander Montessori with traditional schools out there, there is no comparison. Where can you find a Pre-Kindergarten student doing advanced math such as multiplying and dividing and reading and writing? And the best part is they have fun doing it. The teachers are amazing really nurturing a child's love of learning, teaching them about caring for one another and their environment. I love that my child is happy and enjoying her experience at a school, where it is much more about independent learning and thinking and not about standardization of learning.

Posted April 3, 2013

Don t be fooled by their advertisements about caring about the education of every child, or by the high test scores they tout. The driving interest of the administration is in keeping their official test scores up to attract parents with money. Their test scores are the product of their exclusionary admissions policies. Their preschools are used as farm clubs, and they then exclude at the kindergarten level! or hold back all of those children who they think won t add to the luster of their school. (Sometimes half or more of a kindergarten class are told they can t go on). Particularly immoral is that they even exclude children purely on the basis of disabilities regardless of their test scores or report cards. You can imagine how hurtful it is to the children who are told they are not worthy to go on to first grade there with their peers. If you do not wish to risk this experience for your child and family, do not choose Alexander. Despite some caring teachers, the administration does not truly care about the education of the children entrusted to them, but only about their school's ranking, and about not having to make an effort to work with any students who are different.

Posted February 22, 2013

Alexander Montessori is indeed a 'great school.' Actually, it is an excellent school. I transferred my daugther this year and she is excited to go to school everyday. The teachers and administrators genuinely care about the students and the quality of their education. They are educators in the truest sense of the word. I originally had some concerns about the Montessori method, but each has been completley erased as I have seen how the children are deeply understanding what they learn as well as loving the process -- rather than memorizing lessons for a test. I recommend Alexander with no reservations and wish we had started in kindergarten!

Posted February 11, 2013

My children absolutely love this school - for them it is a nurturing environment in which they love to learn. The teachers are experienced and knowledgable on teaching children both in education and practical life experiences. The opportunities at the school, both inan out of the classroom, far surpass those offered in comparable schools in the area. I find the administrators and staff to be responsible and open to addressing any issue that comes up. My children love to go to school - their eneregncy level in the mornings when they know they are off to Alexander is akin to a child going to the happiest place on earth. I can't imagine my children growing up without the Alexander!

Posted February 1, 2013

This school has dissapointed me totally I tend to completely agree with the older reviews.

Posted October 8, 2012

I felt a need to review this school since I think the old reviews from 2009 are unfair. My daughter is currently in the toddler program and we are planning on transitioning to the preschool program soon. We have had a great experience at this school and so have the parents I've spoken to. Most of the teachers are very experienced and have been with the school a long time. My daughter's teacher is very warm and caring and their program is wonderful. As far as the money issue, other than requests for minor contributions from the APA which are standard for any school we have never been approached by the administration to contribute additional funds- the tuition already covers everything. Highly recommend this school.

Posted February 5, 2012

Alexander Montessori has been wonderful for our children. They started in the toddler program and are now graduating from grade 5. In looking for a new private middle school I realize how well Alexander Montessori has prepared them. They have received a wonderful education in a loving environment. We know they are well prepared for the next step.

Posted April 20, 2011

Alexander is the right spot for your child! Our daughter is attending now and she just loves it! She is excelling far beyond her grade level and it's due to the caring and competent teachers and staff. We would highly recommend this school. Our second daughter will also be joining next Fall.

Posted December 30, 2010

Alexander Montessori is a great school. The academics are excellent. It provides a safe and nurturing environment. The class size is small. The teachers and administration are always available to parents. There are monthly parent visit days to spend an hour with your child to see what they are working on. My son was more than prepared to attend any middle school. The music program needs a new director and some of the assistants need to be replaced. I would recommend this school to any parent.

Posted October 13, 2010

I am not sure I understand the negative reviews that state that the school seems more concerned about money than educating children. These people must not understand that the costs of education are constantly rising and that the kind of attention you get at a Montessori school comes with price. Also, unlike what I see in other schools, all the materials are included in the tuition. It is a great school and worth the price.

Posted July 13, 2010

I attended Alexander from "pre-"pre-school through 6th grade (the limit, at the time.) It prepared me so well, that my new middle school afterward (another private school in Miami that I will leave unnamed, where my brother and I were terribly bullied) hardly had anything new to teach me! Now I am a full-scholarship college student, as is my older brother--both in the Honors College at our university. My brother is starting applications for PhD programs, and I am getting ready for the MCAT. My younger sister just graduated a National Merit Scholar and has a full ride scholarship for college. This school and the foundations it gave us are what allowed us to succeed--we couldn't be happier. Best decision our parents EVER made for our education! We loved it there, and were challenged in a way I wasn't again until high school AP classes. Worth every penny--take it from us!

Posted September 14, 2009

Awful, Awful, Awful. This school was an awful experience for us. The director is cold and only concerned with you money (I agree with another reviewer). We are much happier in another school. Please check all of your options before sending your child to this school.

Posted August 19, 2009

The school in my opinion is overated. There is a lot of hoopla about this school and I would agree with the other reviews that rate this school as very poor.

Posted August 11, 2009

Our daugher has attended preschool at this facility and we could not be more pleased. She reads without difficulty, does creative art projects, is excited about math and can count and write to 100 without help. She starts Kindergarten in 2 weeks. There are many ways for parents to be involved in the school and in the classroom. Parental participation is quite high. The extracurricular activites include soccer, tennis, swimming - but also Mandarin Chinese, string instruments, music appreciation, ceramics, dance and more. Expensive, yes. But what is more important than your childs education. We considered many schools before chosing this one and couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted August 8, 2009

Parents please beware. I had my child in this school last year and it was an awful experience! The Director of elementary school is more concerned about your pockets than your children. Never again!

Posted August 4, 2009

I have been a supporter od the montessori system for many years. I have three children two of them attended a Montessori school in Boston. Our third attended Alexander last year. We are very dissapointed with the school and its staff. They show very little of what a Montessori school should be. Shame on you! We found another school which promises to be better than this. Maria Montessori was concerned about education not money!

Asian 9% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
  • NIPSA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6050 SW 57th Ave