Coconut Grove Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 435 students

Posted July 30, 2014

This is a really good school. OK, I'm saying the truth. This school has an amazing music and art program. This year we got a new principal, and she sincerely is the nicest, principal ever. Students learn a lot. There is Gifted programs, Leadership Program, Breakthrough Program, Safety Patrol Program, Broadcasting Program, Student Council Program, and much more. I know right know the school rating is an 8, but I would give it a 10!!!! CGE ROCKS! Also each grade has its own garden. And each year we have our carnival. IT HAS AMAZING RIDES! It has a Spanish and French Program, and students learn a lot. Trust me, I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. Soon I will do more and more great reviews

Posted June 12, 2014

It is obvious most of the reviews for this school are fakes, managed by persons believing those who will read the comments will fall in the trap. The reality has clearly to be balanced. This school has many weak points. Take for instance after school.A succession of disappointments. The kids are left in the wild by themselves, personal in charge does not care much of bullying. Parents involvement in close to zero, only looking at their personal kid interests. Fighting to make sure their kid is able to pass the tests for a magnet school and go away from coconut elementary...

Posted June 11, 2014

A wonderful small school with the BONUS of having a French program that was started by the parents. Parents should know that it is a PRIViLEDGE to have a French program in an American school and not to be confused with a magnet program. If you are looking for your child to have a nurturing and happy Elementary school experience without a ton of homework plus the BONUS and PRIVILEDGE of learning another language CGE is for you.

Posted May 4, 2014

Great School, my son is at 1st grade and it had been a great experience even though he was coming from a private school. Strong PTA, multicultural environment, really good involvement of the Principal. The academic level is excellent, my son is where he has to be and exceeding 1st graders standards. Different activities for the after school program, that really helps for working parents like us...

Posted August 6, 2007

I am gladly impressed of the academic level of this school, its PTA and the Principal, my son is enjoying learning and for me this is priceless. The aftercare program with Karate, Soccer, Dancing and many other activities is very helpful for working moms like me, I'm so glad Coconut Grove Elementary is also good in the aftercare program. SO HAPPY!

Posted September 14, 2007

homework is over rated and at this school it's not over done, more or less an hour/ day! Family life is threated by work, school homework and after school activities, so it's important to maintain a balance between homework - that is practice and homework that is just busy work. I hope that this remains a balance in Coconut Grove Elementary as it's a community school and family life is very important! I vote no home work on week ends!

Posted February 1, 2013

We explored private school options for our children before deciding to give CGE a chance. Our 2 children, one now a fifth grader and the other a 3rd grader, have attended CGE since kindergarten. Our experience with CGE has been extremely positive. The school is a real treasure for Coconut Grove. The school is very small and intimate and really has the feel of a true community school. Both of our children are fortunate enough to participate in the gifted program which is excellent. The school has a dedicated group of teachers, several of whom are truly as fine as you will find anywhere, and an aggressive principal committed to making the school the best it could be. If you are a grove resident, looking for a school for your kids, you are making a mistake if you do not give CGE a shot!

Posted October 28, 2012

Great school! So much improvement with this school! Very proud about the academic program and the Oasis gifted. Dedicate teacher and all the staff.

Posted January 20, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect at CGE when my son entered kinder this year and I can say I have been nothing but impressed by my experiences so far. His teacher is amazing!!!! My son is learning a ton and happy to go to school everyday! The climate of the school is very welcoming, down to earth, comfortable and friendly. This is a true neighborhood school, and reflects the village-like quality of coconut grove.

Posted December 19, 2011

Coconut Grove Elementary School is amazing it's probably one of the most excellent schools you could find, I am a parent and, Coconut Grove has marvelous Parent Involvement, I would recommend Coconut Grove to anyone I meet. I give a job well done to all teachers and faculty at Coconut Grove Elementary School !

Posted October 31, 2011

we love this school, our daughter just started kinder, and she loves to go to school everyday!! The teachers are great, the principal and staff are very professional and friendly at the same time. The language program is great. Our daughter is learning french in kinder 2 hrs daily. They have a veggie garden that was put together by parent volunteers, it was an awesome experience!! This is a great little school that is celebrating 100 years!! congrats coconut grove elementary!! we love you!!

Posted October 6, 2011

The school is really good, great teachers, and it has a feel that a school should have a home away from home. Most of the time teachers now students name even if they are not their students, or have never been their students, which is nice. The only thing I find not to be up to what it could be is the After Care program. Some of the kids are nice but I know I dont like when one of the staff yells at the children. What do they expect when the kids are running around in the cafeteria. Also more activities for after school should be available such as art classes, ballet, music. They have Karate which is a good start but other things should be available as well. Other than that this is a great school and if you don't have to worry about After school it is even better!

Posted September 28, 2011

This is an excellent school filled with dedicated and passionate teachers. The rigorous curriculum and international studies program sets it apart from many schools in the district. I am very grateful for the new principal who, with her undying dedication and commitment, has brought back the A the school well deserves! It is because of leaders like her that public education continues to surpass the expectation of many.

Posted June 26, 2011

TAKE A LOOK AT F-CAT RESULTS on the Test Scores & Stats page. My child will be entering the 2nd Grade. Looking at 3rd grade results, the school did not even meet the State average. I don't believe in the F-CAT as a successful tool to measure a child/teacher, much less the "Letter Grade." It is deceiving when you look at a "B" letter grade for a school, meanwhile it did not even meet and/or exceed the State standards on one or many of the grades. PTA is great, they work hard and have always been iconic participants with CGES. Keep up the good work. The school improvements look great, the bathrooms are a historical land mark :) What can we do to get a roll of toilet paper that rolls? All kidding aside, school is looking good. My biggest complaint goes to the contradiction of healthy snacks. First we educate our children of healthy snacks, how the US is increasing in obesity, diabetes is up and then when we have functions/daily snacks like cookies, brownies, cakes, chips, etc... Don't ask me to help fund raise while contributing in the purchase of high sugar, unhealthy, mystery ingredient foods and beverages. To those parents who provide the healthy snacks, keep it up.

Posted March 8, 2011

When my daughter first started kindergarten this year, I was quite concerned. Last years principal scandal negatively affected the attitude of parents and school staff alike. In few short months Coconut Grove Elementary has again become a community school. Through the hard work of the PTA and our new Principal Dr. Lopez, CGES has come such a long way. The PTA moms & dads have really come together to make the school better, even donating large checks themselves. There is an organic garden, a new PTA website: coconutgroveelementarypta.org , a Blog! http://coconutgroveelementaryschoolpta.blogspot.com/ On the blog you will find a partial listing of what the PTA has accomplished so far this year. It's extraordinary! There are a few parents who are still upset about last years events and have taken sides. They have chosen to villify PTA members, even as far as accusing them of things that were never done. Harsh words that suggest things other than the truth. The PTA tries its best to get to raise money for each program that needs it , but it is true that they may be unable to give as much as it takes or would like. I would love to see all CGES parents come together for the Children!!

Posted February 24, 2011

This is my first year at this school, so I won't comment on the previous principle, But I find Dr. Lopez to be an amazing principle. The person who claims that she is unreachable is obviously very biaised for whatever reason. I walked to the office on a tuesday morning after a long week-end with NO APPOINTMENT, and I was able to meet with her in less than 15 min. She is very smart and patient person. As for the PTA, I think that they are doing an amazing job supporting the school and it's a shame that some of the comments undermine their effort. I am personnaly in love with this school; the teachers and office staff are very caring and friendly people. The principle is working very hard on giving the school an IS status in both french and spanish. My kids are very very happy and therefore I am happy to.

Posted February 23, 2011

Love the school great principal,great teachers ,great parents. As far as the PTA is concerned these are hard working volunteers who earn nothing to help our school.I think they are doing a great job.Don't take my word check them out yourselves www.coconutgroveelementarypta.org .

Posted February 10, 2011

My kid is in CGE and we used to be happy with the teachers, principle & administration staff. Now we really agree with the previous comment, the new principle runs the school like a tyrant, it is impossible to talk to her or have an approach, she doesn t answer e-mails and is really difficult to get a meeting. My child won't use the restrooms too and is only allowed to go during lunch time, same thing with drinking water. PTA is only asking for money and we don't see any results. We hope CGE will be a great school again!

Posted January 27, 2011

I am amazed at the transformation going on in this gem school because of the new principal and her dedicated staff! There is a new garden, chess club, improves after care program, great maintenance and plans for continuous improvement. Above all children are happy in a safe and learning environment. I am very please with Coconut Grove Elementary... Great job Dr. Lopez, Teachers and other staff....from a grateful parent! A bit more on parent involvement would not hurt, I see same faces at PTA meetings and events....let's support our children and teachers.

Posted January 12, 2011

My son is in 5th grade. He has the best teacher he had ever had. He is learning very quickly in English and French. He used to be in private schools and we were looking for a french program school. Excellent!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Ethnicity This school

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • French
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mrs. Julissa Pina
Fax number
  • (305) 443-6748

Foreign languages taught
  • French

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Cafeteria